My first Tri

help needed

21 to 25 of 25 messages
iron fraggle    pirate
25/06/2004 at 13:54
I was thinking about having a go at the Concorde Tri too. Swimming's not to much of a fear for me (slow but steady!) it's getting out of the pool i have problem with! Have tendonitis on one wrist and can't hoik myself out of the pool by myself - will I be able to use the steps ? (!)

Where's the big hill then so I can go and try it out?
25/06/2004 at 17:09
Fraggle, I'm sure that TVT would be able to organise for you to swim in an outer lane, they certainly seemed very obliging at the tri-a-try.

The big hill is Harts Hill Road which goes from Upper Bucklebury down to Floral Way in Thatcham (by the Mill House pub). It's steep and very twisty. If they keep the same route as last year, you have to come down it, round the roundabout at the bottom then back up.

I haven't tried it yet but would be happy to have a go with you (safety in numbers !)
25/06/2004 at 17:19
Twink,

hill? I am bad on hills. Really bad. How long? How steep? How many laps? Is there a downhill before so I can get pace and just roll it up or do I have to pedal it?
JCM
25/06/2004 at 17:49
I am sure you will all have a great time I did my first sprint last mounth have my second in a few weeks and looking into 3rd and 4th.
25/06/2004 at 18:22
Lars don't panic !

The course (if it stays the same as last year) starts from Bradfield college and follows an 'undulating' road for a while before a long flatish section - although not as flat as it appears in the car - before the downhill, then it's round the roundabout and back along the same route.

I guess that will mean all speed gained on the down will be lost on the roundabout (novice cyclist so I might well be wrong) so you'll have to pedal. I'd be lying if I said it wasn't steep in parts but it does have flatter bits in between.

I've just had a look at it in Trailgauge and it's around half a mile long with about a 60 metre climb.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 25 of 25 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.