Newbie, first tri's this year

Oh bugger, what have I done

17 messages
IronChris68    pirate
03/01/2013 at 12:49

Just a quick thread to introduce myself and get started, I have decided for my midlife crisis at the age of 44 to take up Triathlons and have signed up for 4 of them, Clitheroe sprint, then the keswick mountain festival one, followed by the Outlaw half and finishing with the Ironman in Bolton. I am now panicking and wondering what I have done!

My mates midlife crisis involves a Russian girlfriend, Harley Davison and weekends away, mine involves lycra, sweating and needing to lose 3 stone, where did I go wrong?

Chris

PS, I have tried to upload a picture for my avatar, it isn't working, any suggestions?

03/01/2013 at 12:54

Avatars, have to be approved by RW towers, takes a few days, will pop up eventually, there are a few thread for the outlaw half and IMUK so pop in and say hello.

03/01/2013 at 12:55
The man needs locking up..... Welcome to the mad house !
Edited: 03/01/2013 at 12:56
IronChris68    pirate
03/01/2013 at 13:04

Beyond panic, panic is for wimps, I am sat in a corner weeping!!

Right, so in order, Bike fit done, one day swim course done, gait analysis complete, read 2 books by some Cumbrian\Lancastrian loon that made it sound fun.

Can I shave my legs yet?

Chris

03/01/2013 at 13:16

No, because thats just odd.

03/01/2013 at 13:22

Oh and have a look at the "something no different from last years competition thread"

read the rules, join in and help stay motivated.

03/01/2013 at 15:50

You seem to be well on the way Chris, you may as well get the Russian girlfriend too 

03/01/2013 at 15:57
Chris68 wrote (see)

read 2 books by some Cumbrian\Lancastrian loon that made it sound fun.

Another sucker (teehee).. Think the Keswick Festival Tri is the hardest thing I have ever done..... Not sure if the course has changed since the first time it was run, I'll be in the crowd cheering

(Russian g/f sounds fun, where do I sign up ?)

Edited: 03/01/2013 at 15:58
seren nos    pirate
03/01/2013 at 15:58

nooooooooooooooooooo don't shave your legs........cat did that and looked terrible

IronChris68    pirate
03/01/2013 at 16:17

Wibble... wibble.. Keswick Tri, bugger

03/01/2013 at 16:29

are you doing Keswick short or long ?  I did the long the first year it was run

IronChris68    pirate
03/01/2013 at 16:39

I am doing the long, all part of prep for the Ironman, I have entered so I have to do it, the bike I can handle and the swim should be ok, but running, up a hill, a foolish idea and one that I will hate but I am sure bouncing down the other side will be fun!

What is the cut off time!!!

03/01/2013 at 16:43

I remember getting to the top of Walla Crags and I was wearing just my lycra trisuit, and a member of the Mountain Rescue Team was sat gortex'd up under a brolly and said I'm trying to decide who's mad here.....

I did the Derwentwater swim 2 years ago ( and will this year) when Holg's was a speaker at the festival, and he said he had never seen me more miserable than that day when I staggered out of the lake !

IronChris68    pirate
03/01/2013 at 16:56

Dave, you are not really selling this to me are you saying that Holgs was frugal with the truth in his book 

I am looking forward to the training, eating well, losing weight, doing the events then getting a bit tipsy a week after the ironman, no beer till August...

03/01/2013 at 16:58
Chris68 wrote (see)

Dave, you are not really selling this to me are you saying that Holgs was frugal with the truth in his book 

Well anyone who can sell the idea that Viking is the love child of George Clooney and Nicole Kidman has to be suspect !!!

See you in Keswick in May

03/01/2013 at 17:06

Damn Holgs I believed everything in there.

Sounds like a brave plan Chris, an IM in year one.  Should be fun.

Enjoy yourself and remember beer is one of the major foodstuffs and you won't go far wrong.

05/01/2013 at 18:44

Ran from Keswick round Derwentwater this morning.. The lake looked far too cold to swim in it tho

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
17 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.