Nipples

1 to 20 of 49 messages
15/05/2013 at 15:23

For 33 years I've wondered as a male why I have nipples, I have now leant that they are there to rub against my t shirt while running, ensuring that no mater how much effort I put in buying good fitting runnig shoes, completeing weight sessions to prevent injuries and correct warming up and down....one part of my body will be in pain and on fire.

This was first brought to my attention after my first 1/2 marathon 2 months ago and after a run last night (in the pouring rain) THEY are back.

What can I put on/wear on these nasty little useless peices of male skin to prevent this.  Luckly we have a baby so I have an endless supply of nappy cream which is helping when applied every hour but I now look like I'm lactateing under my suit shirt....no a good look in the construction sector!!

15/05/2013 at 15:29

I believe the classic cure/ preventative measure for this is sticky plasters, although I know some people who use vaseline!

seren nos    pirate
15/05/2013 at 15:33

vaseline or body glide.....

or you could try the female solution..........wear a bra

15/05/2013 at 15:33

http://ts4.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4728257491501435&pid=15.1

15/05/2013 at 15:34

Damn u seren 

The Silent Assassin    pirate
15/05/2013 at 15:40

+1 for bodyglide

vaseline wrecks your tshirts / vest

plasters fall off after a while due to sweat

15/05/2013 at 15:51

Compression top does the job for me. No vaseline/bodyglide needed for me.

Kanga (M.)    pirate
15/05/2013 at 16:15

Acres of plaster works for me, although ripping it off afterwards removes a few kg's of chest hair

Blue Peter    pirate
15/05/2013 at 16:34
Nicky McNamerson wrote (see)

Compression top does the job for me. No vaseline/bodyglide needed for me.

+1 for me. it only took 1 cold/windy/rainy run last year for me to find out the hard way

15/05/2013 at 16:41

after trying many things over the years, only 2 things are guaranteed to stop chafing

as NM says, a lycra rich compression top 

OR tape - preferably something like Strapall like physios use to support joints as that stuff sticks better than anything else and doesn't sweat or rub off.  the only downside is getting the bloody stuff after if you have a hairy chest

'glide or Vas doesn't cut it at all

15/05/2013 at 16:53

Run topless. Guaranteed to stop nipple chafing. 

15/05/2013 at 16:59

Or cut your nipples off*.

* Don't try this at home. Don't try it anywhere. If you're stupid enough to follow obviously bad advice from internet fora, don't try anything.

15/05/2013 at 17:31

Wet cotton tops are an absolute killer.  Avoid!

I use a zinc oxide tape from Boots.  For me, that survived a marathon... and every other run I've ever done.  Sweat/rain is no problem.

The beauty is that 2 minutes in a hot shower, and it just starts to peal off... no pain, no hairs attached!

EDIT.... just noticed that this is the Triathlon forum.   I've not tested swimming in cold water.  I think it would be ok... but really cannot be at all certain.

Edited: 15/05/2013 at 17:32
15/05/2013 at 17:31

I've tried lanacane, vaseline & body glide with and without compression tops but sweat so much thet 8 miles is the max that they work. Tape won't stick - sweaty and hairy (form an orderly queue ladies)

Only thing that works, and so far I've tested up to marathon distance, are nip guards. Pricey but well worth it

15/05/2013 at 17:34

DW - try Strapall tape - it really does stick well (and I'm a hairy sweaty one as well)

15/05/2013 at 17:37
Off the top of my head. Do men have nipples because everyone starts off as a female in the ovary? Two ways to be more prone for nipple soreness are, if you have man boobs or if you have constant nipple erection. Porous tape works better in my opinion that zinc oxide tape. Perhaps a bit of shaving round the nipple area may help the more ape like runners.
15/05/2013 at 18:17

Guy in my club ends every race of even 5 miles in length with bleeding nipples. When I suggested sticking plasters he said he didn't like the idea of pulling them off.

I mean, how much pain does bleeding nipples compare, to pulling of a couple of plasters?

Not given to insults but this guy is an irrational tool. I refuse to speak to such people for the sake of my own quality of life.

Dave The Ex- Spartan    pirate
15/05/2013 at 18:57

Bleeding nipples is yukkie, and agony when you shower after the race...

did the Chester half on Sunday and met up with my OH at the finish and she pointed out I was bleeding..... My club vest I have run in hundreds of times ith no problem 

Dustboy    pirate
15/05/2013 at 21:42

Microporous tape for me. Who admits to screaming in the shower after when they forgot?

meface    pirate
15/05/2013 at 22:38

Yep Micropore works fine for me and stays on for IM distance so shouldn't rub off easily.

1 to 20 of 49 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.