Northwest Tri - Nantwich 05/09/10

Flaps and T!ts - a rerun

661 to 680 of 709 messages
06/09/2010 at 09:14
Looks like you did a fair bit of shifting yourself LB, Well done on your PB
Nam
06/09/2010 at 10:36

Just a quick note to say thank you for all those who came to cheer!!   Was nice to see everyone.

I was only a couple of minutes slower than last year which just goes to show that even with training I don't get much better. LOL

Nam
06/09/2010 at 10:37
In fact my swim was a minute faster despite zero training... and no I've not missed out any laps...
Nam
06/09/2010 at 10:48
The Silent Assassin wrote (see)

Funniest comment of day was not by us, but by a supporter of someone else

As the person ran past him, he shouted very loudly

"Oh you've got a camel toe"

made me laugh anyway

LOL.

Quote of the day for me was the bike-in marshall who looked at a male competitor with a raised eyebrow and said dryly...

"That's not a timing chip, that's a lip balm!!!"

The Silent Assassin    pirate
06/09/2010 at 11:00

congrats to Cougie and family 2nd relay team

Did you get any prizes mate

06/09/2010 at 12:48

"although I was conscious of "saving my legs" a bit on the bike"

I read that as SHAVING your legs on the bike Basil - very impressive time if that was the case!

Thanks to everyone for making my weekend.  With Windermere cancelled I could have been a mooching cow all weekend but you all pulled me out of it.

Thanks particualrly to Nam and Calfie for looking after me!

06/09/2010 at 12:50

I think the windy conditions must have affected everyone. I lost at least 2 minutes on the bike, compared with a previuos time. It wasn't the best day that I have had either. After getting in the pool, I found that the strap on my goggles had come free of its clip, cue leaky goggles. Not a great combination with goggles. It also appears that Sunday was the day that the elastic had decided to give up and i was unable to pull them any tighter. A busy pool didn't help. There were people with swim start times of after 10 o'clock doing less than 10 minutes. Transition went okay, and i thought the bike was okay. I actually overtook a couple of people. Unfortunately the time wasn't that great. Running off the bike was hard. Too hard. i should be glad to have made it at all, considering the recent problems with my right achilles (7 weeks - no running) followed by left calf (10 days - no running). I was pleases with my efforts though. Then it all went wrong....

It took me an age to find my car, I usually get an idea of where I've left it before going to the race, but this time I didn't bother. When I eventually found it, I couldn't find my keys. They were nowhere. Checked if they'd been handed in. Checked T2. Rode to T1 and checked there. No luck. In the end i had to ride home on my bike. The trouble was, I didn't have a spare car key at home either. I got changed and OH dropped me off at the Barony. Still no luck at registration. I couldn't for the life of me remember when I'd last had them. I knew I'd changed my layout position at T2, so thought it would be a good idea just to scout out the entire row. I asked the guy at the entrance if it was okay for me to look. He said 'Where the bloody hell have you been, I've made two requests over the tannoy about these keys' (he reminded me of the H&S guy at a place I used to work, so I took it as tongue in cheek). He handed me my keys. I was so pleased. Someone had found them and handed them to him. I won't make that mistake again. It could have cost me £200+ to get it sorted. It did spoil my day a bit, but I'm happy to take it as a lesson learnt. Today I still have a headache. One of my toes has a dodgy nail. I have pulled something on the right side of my chest. My right ankle and left knee don't wish to walk, at all. I didn't want to get out of bed today.

Calf is okay. (That's my calf, not the person) (Who may or may not be okay, I'm not here to judge).

Bring on next year.

Nam
06/09/2010 at 13:30
SuperCaz wrote (see)

Thanks particualrly to Nam and Calfie for looking after me!

No worries.  Welcome anytime, you were great company.

parkbench wrote (see)

Calf is okay. (That's my calf, not the person) (Who may or may not be okay, I'm not here to judge).

He's ok.   He walked around T2 for half a minute trying to find his shoosies but other than that was pleased enough with the swim, pleased with bike (considering the circumstances i.e. crap road surface, winds) and still knocked out an 18 in 5k (when deducting time in T2) for a 1:07 overall.

Edited: 06/09/2010 at 13:33
cougie    pirate
06/09/2010 at 13:31

LB - I told Mrs C that we were off to the pub for lunch without her you see - thats why she ran so fast.

TSA - er dont think there were prizes for the relay team - but we had to get off anyway and didnt hang around to see. Next year though - we'll improve !

Nam
06/09/2010 at 13:32

Amusing time for a male competitor at the bottom of the results...  2:14:01 overall... 

00:09:49 01:40:29 00:23:43

I mean... just WHERE did he go on the bike??

cougie    pirate
06/09/2010 at 13:41
LOL - did he go off with the Manchester 100 Sportive you reckon ?  Er, I joined them for a bit at the roundabout too...
LIVERBIRD    pirate
06/09/2010 at 13:59

You weren't the only one Cougie. There were numerous reports of people going off with the sportive! Imagine getting back to Wythenshawe and thinking "Jeez- this is a tough sprint"

I need to get some speed on the run. I just can't be arsed when it comes to it! Even SA screaming like a loony isn't enough to shift my ass! My 5K pb is seven minutes away from yesterday's race time!

I lost two minutes on the bike too Parkbench. There was a headwind for a good portion of it and I put it down to that.

Basil Brush Mk II    pirate
06/09/2010 at 14:18
Cheers SA - will FB you. Will obv send postage costs.
LIVERBIRD    pirate
06/09/2010 at 14:20

I'm sad today. My auntie Martha died yesterday and a good friend's mum passed away this morning.

Why do people have to die?

Basil Brush Mk II    pirate
06/09/2010 at 14:21
Sorry to hear that, LB. Have some hugs xx
Farnie    pirate
06/09/2010 at 14:40
LIVERBIRD wrote (see)

Why do people have to die?

can you imagine the carnage on the roads if they didn't?

Hope you are ok

06/09/2010 at 16:30

I did see a guy 'scooting' his bike, about 2½ miles from the finish, at 10:45 or so. Looked like a problem with his chain.

Nam
06/09/2010 at 20:45
Piccies now on Farcebook.
LIVERBIRD    pirate
06/09/2010 at 20:53

I'm feeling less sad now thanks guys. Both laydees were in their eighties but when you know folk its still sad when they pass away.

My Auntie Martha is the grandmother of my cousin Stephen, who was on X factor a couple of weeks ago. He got through to bootcamp and when I told eldest Miss LB about her great aunt's death she immediately exclaimed "He's got a STORY now!"

Cynic....

06/09/2010 at 21:37

I completed my first Sprint Tri yesterday at the NW/Nantwhich Triathalon. I had a disaster but did well considering (1hr17mins)....

I got there only 45 mins before my start time. By the time I had worked out where the transitions were and set up I ended up nearly 10 mins late for my start time, doing a walk of shame past the other competitors.

I then got in the pool in a panic having struggled to get my swim cap on and started to swim in the wrong lane head on into people. My wife informed me that the other spectaors found it hilarious as the steward followed me shouting 'you're in the worng lane'. He stopped me at the end of length 3! I was completely disorientated from all the dodging and took me the next 2 lengths to compose myself and work out what I had done wrong in the first place!

I got out the pool ran to my bike and started put my helmet on having read in many forums and training tips to do this first as was most important not to forget. I had however forgotten to put my numbered vest on first, so when it wouldn't go over my head, started again!

I discovered after the race I had a flat tyre which I do not recall getting. I did however note as I got off my bike and checked the speedo that I had somehow lost the 4 minute quicker personal best time I was heading for, which was still on about 3/4 through the ride. I finished 1 minute over my PB (training) so lost about 5 mins overall on what I was heading for.

The run was much smoother and have no complaints, except for....

Apologies to the lady who I covered in gatorade, as I attempted to grab a cup from her on the way past. She was half way through saying 'I wouldnt try to...' as i bounded toward her, hand out! I then proceeded to throw the rest of the sticky contents over my face not getting anywhere near my mouth!

Apologies to the very young girl, collecting the empty cups from the floor, who was so small I did not see and who I hurled my now empty cup at, hitting her in the back of the head, it made a thud. I am sorry, I really did not see you. I did shout my appologies as I realised and it made my heart melt when she shouted after me 'Its ok' in the most genuine tone, if only us adults could be so gracious! 

Finally thanks to the 4 children who blanked my high five attempt as I ran past them, trying to be cool! Note to self..I am not cool!

661 to 680 of 709 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.