Not my brightest idea - Have entered a triathlon

Help needed for a wobbler with ideas above her station...

8 messages
03/03/2013 at 21:42

Hi everyone - I'll be blunt.  I'm on the large side, unfit and nearing 40.  I do, however, have enough residual fitness from my youth to be able to shuffle through the Race for Life 5k without dying, so that's not a challenge for me.

So in the spirit of "let's find a new challenge" I've entered for the City of Birmingham Fun Triathlon.  I know it's only a little one, but I'd love some ideas on where to actually start.

I've looked at triathlon clubs in my area and to be honest they scare the life out of me.  I'm probably going to be training solo until I've lost a good three stone and then I might shuffle off to one of them and admit to my lunacy.

I can swim, I can ride a bike, I can shuffle.  I have found a beginner's triathlon training plan but the technical jargon is baffling.

Help?  Please?

03/03/2013 at 21:52

Exactly what technical jargon do you want translating?
Give us an example and we will do our best to help.

03/03/2013 at 21:58
MLF we are a freindly bunch ask a q and someone will answer it
03/03/2013 at 21:59

I'll go back on the net and find it.  It was Eo or Vo or VVo, something like that.  I've just found the beginner plan on here which is much more user friendly.

Thanks for the reply.

M...eldy    pirate
04/03/2013 at 07:23

www.beginnertriathlete.com  is worth a look certainly

The plans on there are very understandable

Jump right in and see how you get on and linger around here for useless bits of information 

WhizKid    pirate
04/03/2013 at 07:43
I'm guessing vo2 max was the jargon, which u don't have too worry about at the moment, it's to do with oxygen absorbed into the blood stream I believe. Main thing is too follow your plan and enjoy it, practice doing some bike too run transitions in your training, for example 45 min bike into 10 min get your legs used to the feeling.... Any questions just say
The Silent Assassin    pirate
04/03/2013 at 08:33

Here is the Pirate guide to sprint tri

definitely worth a read

http://www.pirateshipoffools.co.uk/?p=467

04/03/2013 at 14:43

Thanks - will ignore the oxygen stuff.  The only thing I'm concerned about is still being about to breathe at the end.

Pirates site looks fab, and the beginner's guide was really useful.

Thanks for the pointers - I'll try to ask more sensible questions in future

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
8 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.