numb hands

21 to 35 of 35 messages
Dave The Ex- Spartan    pirate
08/05/2013 at 09:19
Rob Jude wrote (see)

not sure if its connected to a sore neck which i sometimes have - as that tends to be on the same side aswell.

getting old sucks and i am 31

Yoof...... I didn't start tri til I was 50 !

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
08/05/2013 at 11:25

I started tri at 42, did my first IM at 50 and my first ultra at 55. About to do my very first HIM next month - bit odd after 7 IMs and 45 marathons to admit I've never done a middle distance.   

08/05/2013 at 11:37

I'm with Cougie on the bars being too low or possibly Saddle to Handlebars being too close.

I had the same problem on my road bike and went for a Retul fit in January.  He moved my saddle back slightly and gave me a longer stem and adjusted my position so I'm sitting on my seat rather than resting on my hands, effectively shifted my centre of gravity back.

Never had the problem again and I've ridden over 1600km since.

08/05/2013 at 12:05

maybe a proper bike fit is on the cards - although i guess again its going to cost me a few quid.

45 marathons! christ the furthest i have ever run is 17 miles  at the moment - although first marathon booked for Oct (Chester)

11/05/2013 at 10:08

Suffer similar issues although mine sometimes kicks in at 5 miles! I also suffer with my  neck and that tends to be worse than the hands after a while. I've had a bike fit but not sure I dont still over reach slightly. One of the best changes I have made tho is changing my bar tape and adding gel pads. I now have a combo of bontrager gel cork and gel pads cost about 25 for both but well worth it. Also gloves have a large part to play in whether is better or worse - less padding or smoother gel pads are better than lumpy ones. I know my posture isn't great on the bike but the small changes can make a big difference.  

16/05/2013 at 13:44

For numb hands try moving the saddle back maybe a cm or two - then the hoods up a bit to shorten the reach - ideally fit a shorter stem but that can wait to see if it works.  If you are a bit too far in front of the bottom bracket (long torso or highly flexible can cause this) your point of balance can be too far forward according to one bike fitting article I read.     

Worth a try - cost free anyway and a new stem cn be cheap. 

16/05/2013 at 13:47

i moved the saddle forward a touch before my last ride, moved my hands around abit more and by the end of the 40 miles i had a much smaller amount of numbness in my left and nothing in my right.

makes me wonder if the fit i had was any good at all - its not like i have grown since it (well not upwards anyway)

Ironholgs    pirate
17/05/2013 at 08:55

change to a unicycle that will solve the numb hands problem.

17/05/2013 at 08:58

changed bar tape (cork / gel combo now) last night and went out for an early morning bimble about and again hands feel better.

I also nailed my 30 mile route and took 4 mins off my PB.

Must be the malt loaf

Ironholgs    pirate
17/05/2013 at 09:17

Malt loaf is the EPO of the masses. Well done on the pb.

17/05/2013 at 09:47

Make sure it's a unicycle with aerobars though...

17/05/2013 at 12:11

apparently they do chocolate versions of it now. although i havent managed to get my hands on it as of yet.

Britrisky    pirate
17/05/2013 at 13:12

Morrisons from 20th May -9th June, apparently... limited edition

28/05/2013 at 12:41

still cant bloody find the good chocolately stuff.

In other happier news i did 70+ miles on my bike, including the horse shoe pass for the first time yesterday and my hands didnt give me any issues at all. or maybe my legs screaming was to loud for me to hear

Dustboy    pirate
28/05/2013 at 12:46

Plus one for the gel pads and squoshy bar tape. Rides like a Bentley now.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 35 of 35 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.