Numpty bike question

Changing gears from triple to compact

41 to 52 of 52 messages
08/08/2007 at 00:32
There ought to be a fixie thread, I find it fascinating too, but feel like we have kinda hijacked this one.
Anyway I have seen a fixed frame on ebay and bits and bobs seem to be easy enough to get hold of so I might go this route, and save me some beer tokens.
08/08/2007 at 07:43
Apart from my commuting Brompton, the only bike I have ridden for the last month is my fixed. It's a much more relaxing way of riding.

I can't see what teh problem is about being nervous. Just get on and ride it and either it will be fine, or you will fall off.
ImRio    pirate
08/08/2007 at 08:07
Thanks for all your help and advice guys. I have a cadence counter on my computer so think I will just have to use it more.

Yes my cogs are 52-12.

As I enjoy being out on the bike it isnt going to be a hardship getting out there and getting some practice in.

Thanks for saving me some money!
JD.    pirate
08/08/2007 at 08:24
only started riding a fixed bike last year so i can remember the initial trepidation. but it really is easy. just keep your legs loose all the time and don't stop pedalling. i cycled up and down my street a few times to get used to it.

it's nice not having to think about gears. you've just got to get on with it whatever the terrain.
JD.
Ratbag    pirate
08/08/2007 at 08:56
Do you use clips, like Look or something?

If so, how do you unclip with your feet going round all the time...a fixie would really worry me....

Years ago, I had a fixie (don't know how or why)...going down the road (no clips) I decided to stand on one pedal...thrown straight over the top...and was run over by my own bike!!!

It lost its appeal around about then...
cougie    pirate
08/08/2007 at 09:51
Classic - run over by your own bike !

I use Time Atacs on mine - its easy to clip and unclip on the move.

You really do need to be attached to the pedals - much safer that way.
08/08/2007 at 17:05
Is there an 'end of season' when bike manufacturers start selling off this years bikes to make way for next years?

The specialized concept store near me has reduced the price of 2007 bikes to start selling 2008 bikes. Do the others do the same and if so when ?

Thanks Owl
08/08/2007 at 17:30
yes they do - the timing really depends on what stock they have and when the new models start becoming available but it's usually around late summer/autumn that the real rush starts.............
D74
08/08/2007 at 18:21
Biggest deals are in Febrary, but you've got to be lucky with sizing.

Bought a 2001 Cannondale MTB in Feb 2002. List £2400 Paid £1350
And a 2002 Giant TCR Aero bike with FULL 105 groupset in Feb 2004. List £1400 paid £600.

ImRio    pirate
31/08/2007 at 08:30

Hi guys

I wasnt going to post what a complete numpty I have been but thought you might as well all have a laugh.

I did some practice on the bike as you suggested and discovered that I actually have a lot more gears than I thought I did!!

In fact my bike has 24 gears not the 9 I thought it had!!  (I wasnt using about 5 of the lower gears!)

Needless to say I can now pedal downhill with no problems at all.

So thanks guys for saving me (or rather my OH) a big expense.  It means I can now choose something else for Christmas

cougie    pirate
17/09/2007 at 16:04
Like carbon wheels.
ImRio    pirate
17/09/2007 at 16:07

Now there's a thought!!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
41 to 52 of 52 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.