Numpty IM Bike Thread

Bike ponces only welcome if they don't speak in tongues

5,941 to 5,960 of 11,977 messages
cougie    pirate
22/08/2007 at 16:18

i did treat myself to a Rapha winter jacket in their sale and it lets me off with fewer layers underneath - much better idea, but its pricey.

Oh and dont push huge gears when its cold - I use my fixie now, but you get warmer spinning a little gear.

I like my lewiskit merino socks for winter - but you need space in the shoes for them. If you have tight shoes then you lose the circulation down there.

Blimey - its august and we are discussing winter kit !!

22/08/2007 at 16:49

Great, thanks.

No Lidl kit then?

And what is a fixie ??

cougie    pirate
22/08/2007 at 16:52

Oh Lidl kit will do, but you may need more layers.  I know I've done night rides in the past with about 7 layers, but that was before we had all these tecchy materials.

Sorry - a fixie is a bike with a single fixed gear - linked directly to the pedals- so when the wheels go round - the pedals go round. You cant freewheel.  Fun for winter and easier to clean than a 39 speed bike !

22/08/2007 at 16:57

Like a penny farthing?

I really appreciate all the advice. Its exiciting getting sorted for the bike, now all I have to do is actually get the miles done.

cougie    pirate
22/08/2007 at 17:06

Er maybe I didnt explain that well.... There is a chain - so it looks pretty normal, but just no rear mech to go thru.

Try and find some pals to go out with - it helps esp when the weather is rubbish. Arrange a time and then pour scorn on anyone who tries to wimp out if its bad.

22/08/2007 at 17:45
if you use good kit to start with and layer properly you don't need to be that bulked up.....my coldest day winter kit is winter goretex bibtights/tight fitting technical long sleeve base layer (quechua or helly hanson)/mid layer medium fleece/Quechua long sleeve windowproof jacket....if it's a little warmer I use a gilet instead of a mid layer fleece (either over or under the jacket - depends on which one and what's in the wash!). in fact gilets are very versatile for winter running and riding especially if they have a windproof front..

which reminds me - off for a run now
22/08/2007 at 17:47
"windowproof jacket" - just in case you ride into one........ LOL
cougie    pirate
22/08/2007 at 17:54
Kevlar !
22/08/2007 at 20:44

There is a club a few miles away. That might be worth looking into to get some pals to ride with.

Never heard of a fixie before. It sounds interesting. If there is only one gear how do you manage hills and headwinds?

22/08/2007 at 20:47
There is also a Tri club and a running club with a tri section
Calf    pirate
23/08/2007 at 08:36

its only one gear and you can't free wheel!

You manage head winds and hills be getting out of breath and sore legs!

Its good training.......so they tell me!

cougie    pirate
23/08/2007 at 11:21

I love fixed - its a fairly low gear so you spin everywhere - and its great for climbing hills - it beats my pals on their multi geared carbon bikes up hill. And then they thrash me on the downhills !  

Into a headwind its fine too - you just get on with it. No faffing round changing down or whatever.

23/08/2007 at 13:09

It sounds like a lot of fun Cougie.

I am having trouble with hills. I can only go up very easy ones because I am having knee problems (not caused by cycling) and I am in the smallest gear. I really need some more gears. Is this just a case of waiting until my legs get stronger and I can handle the hills better - more riding = more strength - or would it help to get a bike with more gears or have more gears added to mine?

23/08/2007 at 13:30
LtheU - answer is a bit of both really

to get better on hills you have to ride hills - there ain't no way of avoiding that - the more you do, the stronger you become and the easier it gets (or should I say percieved easiness - they are never just easy)..

on the gear front it is possible to get more gears by either puttinga triple on - it has 3 chainrings with the smallest (aka the granny ring) being very suitable for big hills or weaker/heavier riders as it gives you very low gears. OR - you can change the cassette on the rear to give a broader/lower spread of gears when used with the fornt chainrings. OR - you can do both! but it would be useful to know what sort of setup you have at the mo

is it a double, triple or compact? (compact is like a cross between a 2 or 3 ring system with 2 rings but lower gears than a standard double). what range do you have on the rear?? (the rings are numbered by no of teeth - smallest is usually 11, largest can be up to 29 with others between- usually quoted something like a "10 speed 12/25" - 10 rings spread from 11 teeth to 25 teeth.
23/08/2007 at 13:44
*Really* numpty question here - should you pedal whilst changing the rings (i.e. at the front) and not pedal whilst changing the gears?
cougie    pirate
23/08/2007 at 13:46
You should pedal whilst changing all gears (front and back), but reduce the pressure on the pedals slightly.

23/08/2007 at 13:49

Just been and counted the teeth.

Front rings have 52 and 41. Rear rings= smallest 13, largest 22. 10 gears.

The guy in the bike shop said that I shouldn't use the gears that pull the chain crossways and put too much tension on it, so that means I have 2 gears that I can't use?

23/08/2007 at 14:00

Correction - 7 rings on the back.

I hardly ever use the big ring on the front so far.

23/08/2007 at 14:09

Thank you for not laughing.

So that means that the fact that it clunks a bit and sometimes doesn't fully engage on a ring isn't caused by me........I was hoping that it was something silly that I was doing.

D74
23/08/2007 at 14:11
You shouldn't use the smallest 2 at the back with the smallest front, nor the largest two on the rear with the largest ring at the front.  If you get to the point where you're pedaling too fast in the little ring in the third smallest gear at the back, then move up to the bigger chainring and shift two gears up the cassette at the same time.  That will be about right and means that you get a smooth step up in gears, not the leap you'd get from just changing the front one.  Sounds complicated, but practice for a few minutes and you'll find it easy in reality. 
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.