Numpty IM Bike Thread

Bike ponces only welcome if they don't speak in tongues

5,961 to 5,980 of 12,030 messages
04/08/2007 at 17:28
What has being a pro got to do with it - if you race then a few seconds is a few seconds and as Cougie says 10 seconds gap can seem a lot longer when you are trying to get back on the bunch - I don't see what's wrong with trying to set your bike up properly. It's not something I've done myself but more because I cba - if I was fanatical about my bike then I'd do it.
D74
04/08/2007 at 17:31
All pedal axles are the same, so you can fit MTB pedals to a road bike with no problem at all. What you can't do is fit road cleats onto MTB shoes as the bolt pattern is different.

As for not using cleats for outside rides, that's a tough one. Everyone fell off at least once when they first started with cleats, it's sort of a cyclists rites of passage. Practice clipping in and out whilst stationary leaning against a wall. Just spend 5 minutes doing each leg. Then when out on the road think ahead, and unclip as soon as you see there may be the need to slow / stop (ie junctions). Get one foot out and cruise up to the stopline.

Stick to quiet roads if you can at first. Don't do what I did and get the pedals fitted by a bike shop in covent garden and cycle back accross Waterloo bridge and down to Streatham at 5:30pm on a Thursday night.
Imeccentric    pirate
04/08/2007 at 18:02
When I first got cleats I rode round my bros lawn practising stopping much to my sis in laws hilarity as I fell over and over again, but it was much softer and more yielding than the pavement or the 381 bus!
cougie    pirate
04/08/2007 at 18:09
I never had a fall with clipless pedals. Not until the other month when I was coming into the cafe with my pals and one of them cut across and into me and knocked me sideways. No chance to unclip so I arrived at the cafe on my side. Not the best way to get there !
04/08/2007 at 18:20
I fell over today after many non-falling over episodes. Dunno what happened. 3 of us stopped at the traffic lights, I think I tried to unclip my left foot (why I don't know as my right was already unclipped), couldn't get it unclipped and fell over. Scraped my knee & elbow (no bothered), scraped my pedal a bit more (not too bothered), scraped my bar-end and bartape (bothered as it looks ugly!). Worst of it is though that my confidence has taken a bit of a blow again but I dare say some more eventless rides will sort me out again.

Still, could have been worse - I could have had five punctures like my friend did!
Imeccentric    pirate
04/08/2007 at 20:11
Youll be fine Dstr as you say a few more rides will sort it.

Serial punctures are often the fault of the operator not refitting the tube correctly ... Check out tufo's and stop worrying about punctures!
debbo    pirate
04/08/2007 at 20:14
Eccentric - we aren't poncey ponces in scotland so we use proper tyres!
cougie    pirate
04/08/2007 at 21:53
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3A9VOu6N9U&sdig=1

Cool footage of the Tour and the descents. No wonder they're all on drugs ! ;-)
05/08/2007 at 06:53
wwhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

:oD
JD.    pirate
05/08/2007 at 07:41
cool. i remember gerdeman descending and thinking oh no, please don't mess this up and lose the stage!

noticed at le tour that the camera bikes stayed behind the riders on the descents. whereas at the giro often the camera bikes would try and stay ahead of the riders for as long as possible. as the motorbikes couldn't go as fast as the riders they'd frequently get in the way.
JD.
M...eldy    pirate
05/08/2007 at 07:46
being of a nervous disposition I am glad I cant view this at work!
05/08/2007 at 08:14
Just think Rosey - in pink.
M...eldy    pirate
05/08/2007 at 08:15
OOoohhhh :-)
05/08/2007 at 12:43
Thanks for the advice the other day about spoke keys and wheel trueing. Gave it a go today and soon realised that the problem was a spoke that had snapped off at the point where it joins the hub.

So a LBS job after all, but at least I had the confidence to try myself first, thanks to this thread. Keep up the good work.
D74
05/08/2007 at 13:19
Not neccesrily a LBS job. I had a spoke snap on thursday AM. Luckily I'd a spare at home, so 15 minutes later, all ship shape and true again. Thankfully it was the non drive side so I didn't even need to take the cassette off.
Kanga M    pirate
05/08/2007 at 14:22
Cool video cougie - mad bastids :)
06/08/2007 at 09:17
D74 - that's what my dad said. But he knows bikes, whereas I'm still learning. Maybe next time, if it becomes a regular occurence.

13/08/2007 at 09:09
Oo-eck! Anyone got any ideas for getting sticky new road tar off tyres?? I had a ride cut short on Saturday by being directed right through the stuff by workmen who were laying a new road surface. Cheers fellas! :(

FYI, the rear tyre is a Continental Gatorskin which has a virtually slick tread, so I don't know whether the tar might come off of its own accord eventually, but obviously I'd rather get it completely clean. The ride home was a bit treacley. (The front was looking a bit iffy anyway so I'll go mad and buy a new one.)
13/08/2007 at 09:39
it should come off on it's own but what better excuse to spend more bike money eh??
13/08/2007 at 10:01
True. Looking back, this was clearly God punishing me for daring to have two different models of tyre on the same bike. :)
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.