Numpty IM Bike Thread

Bike ponces only welcome if they don't speak in tongues

5,961 to 5,980 of 11,977 messages
cougie    pirate
23/08/2007 at 14:12

LMH - sometimes the gears need a bit of finesse. If you keep stomping whilst changing then you get a messy and noisy change. 

If its not fully engaging - then you may need your gears adjusted just a little bit. Do you have any bike ponces nearby ?

23/08/2007 at 14:20

I wish Cougie. I'd love to find someone to 'take me under their wing' talk me through a few rides/gears etc and help me to enjoy and progress in the cycling as I did in the running. Popsider is quite local but way out of my league. I went to a local bike shop today and they sold me a 'womens specific saddle' (I needed something as I can do 30+ miles on my hybrid and ride again the next day but anhour on the road bike leaves me crippled) and helped me with the set up (put the saddle higher, adjusted my handlebar position) but I felt silly enough with all of that without mentioning the gear thing too.

D74 - that does sound complicated - how do I know which gear I'm in on the back? I'll try to think about it but it's all done by feel at the moment. My hybrid has a shift system with the numbers on it but my road bike has the Shimano 'levers and push the brakes' thing going on and it takes me ages to remember which goes up and which down on each side (though I do now remember that the one on the left changes the rings

23/08/2007 at 14:20

D74 - I think I will have to practice that. The biggest trouble I have is going into the wind (very usual where I live) or uphill and I run out of gears.

LMH - I am glad you are posting "numpty" questions too. I feel so silly with all these questions but how else do I learn?

23/08/2007 at 14:35
Larry - it's lovely to see you! No progress with the knees as yet? I know exactly what you mean, it's much more complicated than getting better at running isn't it? It's easy to give/receive running advice like this - run slower, concentrate on building your distance etc - but bike stuff is so, well, technical! I really feel as if I need someone to *show*me so that I can see how it feels/know what they mean but I daren't go to a group or club cos I think they'd be bored witless with me hanging off the back and I'd still just be trying my best to work it out as I went along - it's not like they have beginners sections.
23/08/2007 at 14:49

Yes, I know what you mean. I am seeing the consultant tomorrow so hopefully some news on the knees then.  He did say I could cycle and since I have been doing that they have seemed to improve a bit. Now I have the saddle position right I am not getting pain riding, just some stiffness after.

23/08/2007 at 15:01

LMH - we are starting a 2 speed ride on Tuesday nights if you are interested - not sure what the slower of the two speeds will be yet but nobody will leave you alone if you were worried about that.   Route wont be fantastic because it has to be lit for Winter - probably up to RIpley - down to Ambergate - back to Derby.   Some people said the Ripley - Ambergate section is too busy but I can't think of an alternative.   It will be starting in the next few weeks - maybe a week on Tuesday or the week after.  

Alternatively there are two quite young women just joined the Derby Merc  - I can give you the number of one of them if you are interested in going out with them ?     It's a case of getting something going really with a group of like minded people of similar ability.   I know Joy Potts (you might have heard of her she's an osteopath) was looking for a steadier speed ride too and she'd be able to advise you better than any of us - she used to work with the British track squad.  

Larry - so long as you are getting up the hill without walking I wouldn't worry too much about running out of gears - good to spin up hills but for training purposes struggling up them in a bigger gear isn't all bad.  I wouldn't worry about asking numpty questions - I used to ask Cougie stuff a few years ago when I started cycling - you pretty soon get to be an expert.

LMH - nothing wrong with feeling which gear you are in with your legs - alternatively just glance down at the cassette.   

D74
23/08/2007 at 15:18

LMH&Larry  - It's all about practice.  Go to a flat quiet space, and ride around for 20 minutes just changing gears up and down so you can work out what does what.   In ye-olde days then I'd have suggested a supermarket car park, but now their open 24/7 then it's not such a good idea.  But that sort of open space where you're not having to worry abou tthe spped your doing and can just cycle.   

As for knowing what gear you're in, then glance under your right armpit and you can normally see the rear cassette - enough to get an idea of where the chain is anyway.  As for changing down a couple, then that's done by counting the clicks on the shifter, not by looking at the chain moving.

LMH - As Cougie says then the clanking could be that the gears need a bit of TLC.  By gears then in actual fact it's almost certainly the cable, so nothing scary and complicated, just one wire that needs tightening slightly, and there's even an easy way of doing that.  Look at the www.parktool.com/repair and click on the piccy of the bike to get some walkthroughs with pictures.

Bikes are easy to maintain, mainly as if you sit and look at it for a few minutes then you can see what's pushing or pulling on what and figure out how it's working with no guide at all.  Just takes a bit of patience and it's fine.

So in summary, both riding and 'tweaking' are all about having the confidence and spending the time. 

Any more qu's, just ask. 

23/08/2007 at 15:34

Thanks guys.

Good luck tomorrow Larry.

Pops - where would that be from, at what time and for how long? To be honest I'm as much worried about ruining someone else's ride as being left on my own. Quite confident with traffic having ridden bikes and motorbikes for years but I do find it more enjoyable on my hybrid when I can use the cycle paths, I don't think my road bike would like the canal path on cycle route 6!

23/08/2007 at 16:10
LtheU - having 7 at the rear with a 22 as the lowest gear doesn't give you a lot of options but you may want to look at getting a 25 or 27 instead - it will depend on whether the rear cassette is modular i.e. you can change individual rings, or a one-piece which would need a complete change. a local bike shop can advise

23/08/2007 at 16:36
Thanks for all the info guys. You have been very helpfull. No doubt I'll be back again.
23/08/2007 at 17:05

LMH - Tuesdays 6.30 or 6.45 is what we've agreed.   It'll take time to establish and the idea of a 2 speed ride is new so whether the slower one takes off or not I don't know.   Don't worry about ruining people's ride as the idea is we don't currently have any rides suitable for beginners.   If someone is particularly slow then one person can drop back with them running club style or if someone is a bit quick they can join the faster ride the next week.    Last Winter we just had a single ride and whilst it worked well for some there were half a dozen who were coming out early days who could no longer keep up once some very fast guys started coming out.

The circuit is about 22+ miles - Little Chef- Ripley via Kilburn and Denby - down to Ambergate via Sawmills, down the A6 to Derby ending at Darley Abbey church hall though some people drive out and have to ride back to the Little Chef via Ford Lane to get their cars.  It's a bit busy between Ripley and Ambergate but we can single out through there and ride 2 abreast for the rest. 

24/08/2007 at 07:19
That sounds like a good one Pops though the problem would be getting there - I'd normally ride to Little Eaton on the cycle paths but couldn't do that on the road bike. Not sure I fancy the Sir Frank Whittle Way in the dark! Is Darley Abbey church hall near Darley Park?
Ratbag    pirate
24/08/2007 at 12:03

A quick gear question...

I'm looking for a decent but not scarily expensive winter cycling jacket...needs to be in that bright yellow colour so that I get seen and not run over...

Any recommendations?

Cheers,

RB

cougie    pirate
24/08/2007 at 12:06

RB - JJB were doing Fluo Gilets for about a fiver - I bung that on over whatever jacket I have on at the time if i think I need it.  More versatile that way - plus you can prob get away with washing it less than you would your jacket - so it wont fade as quick.

Ratbag    pirate
24/08/2007 at 12:17
Hmmm...good point cougs...worth a thought...might take a little trip to JJB this avo...
cougie    pirate
24/08/2007 at 12:19

They're the same jackets that Ronhill (or his new company) do.  For the money - they're good value and the gilet will sit in a back pocket if it gets too hot.

24/08/2007 at 12:24

When you say winter cycling jacket do you mean a long sleeve jersey or some kind of coat ?   Lusso do quite a cheap  long sleeve jersey in fluo yellow.

24/08/2007 at 12:33
LMH - if you wanted to avoid SFWhittle Way could you drive there and take your bike on the car - there are ways to get there avoiding busy roads - go up the back way through Chester Green and then the cycle path along the side of SFWhittle Way and across the A38 at the crossing.   Yes the church hall is next to the old church in Darley Abbey Village - so quite near The Abbey Pub end of Darley Park.   I live right next to the Park off Belper Rd so if you can get to there you could ride over with me.
Ratbag    pirate
24/08/2007 at 13:18

I basically want something that will keep me warm and dry and in fluo yellow...not sure whether that means jacket, jersey, coat or what...

but for a quick, cheap solution, the gilet seems one idea...

cougie    pirate
24/08/2007 at 13:34

Theres loooads of choice for cycling jackets nowadays RB - I love my Rapha one, but only cos it was in the sale.  Oh Lewiskit make a pretty similar jacket - my wife has one and she likes it, but she doesnt cycle.  

But yeah - loads out there to check out.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.