Numpty IM Bike Thread

Bike ponces only welcome if they don't speak in tongues

61 to 80 of 11,978 messages
25/07/2005 at 22:58
Heaven forbid I'm bike poncey - more science poncey but IR, CO2 will not break down over time - it's incredibly stable - but it's density is higher than N2 and therefore if you want to rid yourself of the weight deflate after using a canister and pump it up again with air.
25/07/2005 at 23:01
CO2

just makes me think: "son of Candy Ollier"...
25/07/2005 at 23:01
You have to be prepared Plum, whatever the distance, whatever might happen, infact i was riding along a busy main road this evening with coaches and big trucks flying past me far to close, and i thought what happens if i get sucked off here on the main road miles from anywhere.

Be prepared for 'owt!
25/07/2005 at 23:06
Oh please somebody do the gag......
25/07/2005 at 23:09
FFM, i'll line em up...
25/07/2005 at 23:10
you're making it worse
25/07/2005 at 23:24
that one has to go in the mag.
25/07/2005 at 23:27
Haile - 100 mile trip I'd take a spare inner tube, pump, 2 water bottles, food - maybe a couple of muesli bars and bananas, mobile phone, some money and 2 bottles of water. Might take a waterproof if it looked like rain.
26/07/2005 at 06:23
Thanks for the responses to my question guys - appreciated.

Great article about fitting the bike IR!

I think my bars / brakes / hoods aren't set up properly, so I'll spend a day at the weekend with an allen key trying to get things in balance in that area. I simply loosened the stem (?) bit and swivelled the bars upwards before which improved things (bringing the hoods upwards), but now the drops are very uncomfortable. I think I need the bars where they were, but with the brakes (hoods) moved up around 1 - 1 1/2 ".

If I do this will I screw anything else up? E.g. gears, brakes etc. I guess not but I thought I would check first. I know I could take it back to the bike shop, but they will fit it back to something that I find uncomfortable (even if it is done properly!!)
26/07/2005 at 06:42
Thanks Popsider, i've got one of those Alien multi-tools which is a tad bulky, i suppose a couple of allen keys would suffice, anything else recommended on the tool front?
26/07/2005 at 07:01
Grizzly,
I had to do the same thing. I found moving the hoods up got rid of the pain in my hands and arms on longer rides
26/07/2005 at 07:24
and while we're at it - anyone got a recommendation for a "Bike maintenance for Numpties" book?
WildWill    pirate
26/07/2005 at 08:22
Hynes bike book mabee?
26/07/2005 at 08:23
The most fundamental question: I'm bewildered by the choice on offer, so can anyone recommend an entry-level bike for the novice, and an idea of the sort of money needed to buy something worthwhile. If not makes and models, perhaps what to look for and what to avoid.
26/07/2005 at 08:31
musa, I think the standard entry level bikes are:

Trek 1000 (I have one of these)
Specialized Allez
Giant OCR 3 or 4 (whichever one is around £500, can't remember the exact model)
26/07/2005 at 08:39
musa, when i was looking a few moths ago, the general concensus of opinion was that £500 was the bench mark.

Models that have had good reviews at that sort of price include the Specialized Allez, Trek 1000, and the Giant OCR(?). There will be plenty of others too, and at this time of the year there should be some good deals knocking about because of the new models appearing, so you might pick up a bike with a better spec.

I think the most important thing to remember is to get the fit right, go to a couple of bike shops and get them to fit you for a bike. As a 'rough' guide measure your inside leg and then multiply be 0.65 ( the best way to do this is to stand with your feet 8 inches apart, put a book firmly between your crotch (of similar pressure you would expect from a saddle) and get someone to mark off the top point on the wall).

Have fun
26/07/2005 at 08:40
quimby, great minds think alike but some type quicker!
26/07/2005 at 09:18
Another question on frame size: My hybrid is a 54 - can I go and order a Trek 1400 online in the same size and save myself a packet, or do I need to try different sizes?

One more thing. I've got SPDs on my hybrid. Is it "ok" to get them for a road bike or will I be better off with SPD-SLs? And new shoes...
26/07/2005 at 09:27
I personally wouldn't order one online without trying one in a shop.

I'm managing OK with SPDs on my road bike, I'm using my MTB shoes. My only problem with the MTB shoes is they're not fast to get on & off, even with elastic laces. But for an IM, I don't think you should worry so much about that.
26/07/2005 at 09:32
Toucan, thought there was a reason to empty the CO2, and it appears the same reason I am not a rocket scientist.
61 to 80 of 11,978 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.