Numpty IM Bike Thread

Bike ponces only welcome if they don't speak in tongues

11,001 to 11,020 of 11,980 messages
cougie    pirate
24/08/2010 at 14:24

Road bikes over MTB on the tarmac every time.

Punctures are very rare with decent tyres - dont get the kevlar band thing - unnecessary on todays tyres. Stopping is fine too and grip is plentiful. 23mm is about the narrowest you want to go and you'll find it so much better than on your MTB tyres.

24/08/2010 at 14:24

Yes, as above, race bikes do stop and corner well, did a crit at the weekend, and was suprised at the amount of grip you can get, was hanging off like a monkey on tight corners at 20mph.

Many tyres, even race tyres, have kevlar breaker belts already in them, I think my  Conti GP's have some sort of breaker belt, I am getting on for 2000 miles on them now, and I've only had 1 puncture, and that was a pinch flat from a pothole.

26/08/2010 at 00:56

Hanging off like a monkey at 20MPH......................danowat I can see the problem

Cyclists are part of the machine. you should enter the corner in control, smooth, sofisticated, elegant(starting to sound like swiss tony)............

26/08/2010 at 08:21
Nah, monkey is where its at
26/08/2010 at 08:25

Only 20MPH ?

- mind you, that's 5mph more than I can maintain for longer distance, but that would be enough to make me smile at the next tri..... 15 miles at 20mph = 40-45 mins ? .... but 30 would be better still

19.9mph on the flat. is my max. for short periods. ( exactly. Hairdryer / radar clocked me 0.1mph under the limit on that particular road... still got me pulled over to let me know how close I was to being booked !  ) 15mph is max. cruise.

smooothness is key to all cornering, accelerating, braking etc not just cycle racing

how do you work out gear ratio required for a certain speed ?

Cheers,

26/08/2010 at 08:34

20mph avg on a 600 yd, closed circuit (airport park and ride), with hairpins, and speed bumps!!!

I guess I am too used to motorbike racing, where hanging off getting your knee down is order of the day, I've not manged to get my knee down on my cycle......yet........

Most I've done on the flat is about 30mph, but I couldn't hold that for long, most I've done over 10miles is about an avg of 22.5, and that was pushing it

You can find gear ratio calcs on google

Edited: 26/08/2010 at 08:35
26/08/2010 at 19:17

Apologies if this has been covered already on this thread, but I'm looking to purchase a road racing bike and am after some recommendations. My budget is in the £1k to £1.5k range and so far have been recommended the Boardman Team Carbon (anyone also know if these are likely to return to £999 once the new models are out and the TDF hysteria wears off?). But if there are any other decent ones worth looking at I'd love to know where to look. The £1.5k I would ideally like to include pedals, shoes and any other little bits I might need.

To give some background, I'm a strong endurance runner (2:31 marathon) looking to try something new and in the medium term would like to try and train for an ironman. From virtually nothing a couple of months ago I can manage about 2000m swimming at just under the IM cut off speed, also pretty much slowest at the local tri club I've started going to very recently and 50-60 miles comfortably on a women's race bike borrowed from my missus. This is the fastest longer cycle that I've done (not 'comfortably') > http://connect.garmin.com/activity/41585726, mildly undulating, but on a perfect day weather wise. No idea if that's any good or not, all I know is on the same day a mate of mine managed double the distance 1mph faster!

Edited: 26/08/2010 at 19:18
TR
26/08/2010 at 20:08

CJ - nice to see you ! the Boardman bike is very well reviewd and is one of teh best bikes for the money. Wiggle also have some good deals on at the mo (Focus and Verenti).

It'll take you a while to build yourself a pair of bike legs to enable you to use your runnners aerobic engine - I'm still not there yet !

I'm still riding my newbies £500 Giant and I'm doing ok on it.

Edited: 26/08/2010 at 20:24
27/08/2010 at 09:47

wont say my AVG over 10 miles then

dan, LOL at the monkeys. One of the guys in the club got described as a "Rampant bull on a bike that was after the sow"....................

27/08/2010 at 10:11

Lol @ rampant bull!.

Yeah, best not, it would only embarrass me

27/08/2010 at 10:22
"Rampant bull on a bike that was after the sow"

bit of cross species shagging eh??
27/08/2010 at 10:56

Hi CJ

The important things in choosing a bike and fit, fit, fit and colour.  Do you have a good bike shop nearby?  If you do I suggest you head over there and ask for their advice.  If they know their stuff they should help you pick a bike and fit it for you.  This doesn't mean getting you to stand over it and seeing if it's about right.  It means putting the bike on a static trainer and using plumb lines and tape measures to get it set up for you.

If you tell us where you are we may be able to suggest one or two shops that are worth trying.

27/08/2010 at 11:58
fat buddha wrote (see)
"Rampant bull on a bike that was after the sow" bit of cross species shagging eh??

Well you do get bored of sheep shagging...........

Had my British best all rounder confirmed, happy bunny with that! So Newbies have patience, I was once a slow terrible rider, with training and a RED bike ive cracked the long distance stuff. it can be done. dont be put off with cadance, percived efforts, watts etc. Go ride the bike, enjoy and it will come.

27/08/2010 at 12:59

What's a RED bike ?

please, not the colour..... 

27/08/2010 at 13:18

It might be the SRAM RED groupset like this http://www.fudgescyclestore.com/index.php?p=73424

But I'm often wrong on bike things.

27/08/2010 at 13:23

http://0.tqn.com/d/toys/1/0/m/g/RF09ClassicRed10Bike.jpg

Red bike... it's an established scientific fact that red bikes go faster.  They're even quicker if they have red tyres.  This is the actual bike Try Taffia has ridden his best TT times on.

27/08/2010 at 14:07
M.ister W wrote (see)
This is the actual bike Try Taffia has ridden his best TT times on.

Minus the red tyres of course...

27/08/2010 at 17:14

Thanks TR will check those sites out over the weekend. I lurk in sub3 occassionally, but don't have time to actively contribute much now.

MW, I'm based in Bournemouth

27/08/2010 at 20:51

M.ister W ..... very good.

That's what I'm missing.... Stabilisers..... THAT's how you guys get round the corners so well

27/08/2010 at 21:01
CJ  primera in bournmouth are good for bikes, although the Focus Cayo is a very god buy great components and a good frame
11,001 to 11,020 of 11,980 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.