Numpty IM Bike Thread

Bike ponces only welcome if they don't speak in tongues

11,001 to 11,020 of 11,977 messages
07/02/2011 at 16:26

Ok, so cleats are cheap enough, but does anyone know of where to get cleat covers for Shimano SPD-SL's

Can you get covers for them, I've seen Keo covers but not Shimano

08/02/2011 at 14:36
I'm waiting HH....

Gaz - never seen Shim cleat covers so don't know if they are available. I have Keos - with cleat covers. you need the buggers as the cleat material is so soft, it wears out very quickly. my missus is still on her 1st pair of Shimanos yet I must have gone through about 4/5 sets of Keo cleats in the same time
08/02/2011 at 15:41

You can't get cleat covers for SPD-SL cleats.  As FB says, the cleats are pretty hard so will last a long time even if you walk up lots of hills

08/02/2011 at 16:50

Thanks both.

Mine wear fairly easily, (90kg bloke) but they are fairly cheap to replace.

Iron Pugsley    pirate
16/02/2011 at 21:54

I am going to lay myself out as a real bike numpty here.  I have no idea if this is too much or too little information but here goes.

I have a 10 gear cassette on the back of my bike and a 53/39 on the front.  I know not to cross the gears but when I am on the wee cog at the front I start to get "noise" when I am only on the 4th cog down from the biggest.  It looks like the chain is catching on the derailler and gets considerably worse when I hit the 5th cog.

Is this a reasonable range of usable gears (it doesn't feel like it) or does the derailler need adjusting?  Is it something a numpty can tackle or leave to a pro?

Cortina5    pirate
16/02/2011 at 22:36
Gently push the LH lever - not as far as you would to change chainrings, just a little click. This should trim the front mech into a position where most of the cassette is usable quietly. If not, adjust.
Iron Pugsley    pirate
16/02/2011 at 22:57
Thanks Chris - I was having some joy with that but the benefit has lessened. Adjusting puts a chill down my spine - how would I go about that?
16/02/2011 at 23:18

So the front mech is moving too far over to the left (inner side) and catching on the chain when you are mid range on the cassette ?    I'm wondering if maybe closing off the limit screw a touch would solve it - stop the mech moving quite so far over. 

Sometimes the mech is actually bent so you can never really get it quite right - it either rubs at one end of the other - I wouldn't try bending it back unless you are sure it is bent though as once out of shape they are never quite as good and it's more likely adjusting will solve it.

Iron Pugsley    pirate
16/02/2011 at 23:24
Cheers Popsider. So it does sound like I should be able to get a bit more unrestricted movement. I don't want to be completely helpless so may go to LBS and ask them to show me what to do and how to diagnose in future. I am fine with the saddle and tyres but beyond that my bike is all science fiction to me!
17/02/2011 at 11:13
along with what pops says, also check to see if the cage (assuming it's not bent) is actually parallel to the chain - a non-parallel cage can cause rubbing.

if your front mech is connected via a cage clamp on the downtube (it goes around the whole tube) it can loosen a bit so the cage slips out of line. if so, loosen the clamp screw and realign the cage (being careful not to adjust it's up or down position), and then tighten the screw back up.

if the cage is connected to a fixed post on the downtube, ignore this comment - that would be more likely a bent cage
Iron Pugsley    pirate
17/02/2011 at 11:26
OK thanks , that makes a lot of sense.  I will have a look tonight and keep you posted on my progress beyond numptiness.
Iron Pugsley    pirate
17/02/2011 at 11:27
Oh, another thought!  Whereabouts on the rear cassette should I have the chain when I check if it is parallel?
17/02/2011 at 11:31
in line with the front chainring - line it up by looking from the rear. it won't be perfect but as good as. you can often tell by just looking though
19/02/2011 at 15:39

Hello all, Thinking about buying some tights and was wondering what people thought about the bib type. Have seen some Descente ones that have got a good discount on at the moment.

any views?

19/02/2011 at 19:51
Bib tights and shorts are sooooo much better than non-bib ones.  You do look like a camp bodybuilder when you take your jersey off but it's a small price to pay for the extra comfort and warmth.
cougie    pirate
21/02/2011 at 10:47

I know I probably shouldnt - but if anyone is looking for a full on race bike - this is one that my mate bought to do IMDE last year - I think he raced Bala on it too - and that was it - he's got the teeshirt and medal so is calling it a day on his Triathlon career :

It's the Stealth Pro Carbon XL size. He's 6'3"

Pro Carbon bars. Planet X saddle.Pro Carbon 82 / 101 wheelset with new Conti GP4000 tubs with only IM distance mileage pre treated with Tufo sealant.Ultegra front / rear mechs.Tektro aero brake levers / Dura Ace bar end shifters.FSA carbon chainset.Mint condition, offered to a Pirate for £1500-00He's also got his Easton Carbon Tempest 2 wheels to sell for £500-00Its a beautiful bike - and as good as new cos he's such a ponce.
Dustboy    pirate
24/02/2011 at 00:12
Sounds a fab deal, & if I hadn't just specced my new Cyfac......
Razor51    pirate
28/02/2011 at 23:33

Help and advice needed,   I have an old road bike with 2 front rings and 7 speed cassett, it has downtube friction shifters.

Is it possible to change the cassett to a 9 speed to give me more gear options.

Can't afford to buy a new bike at the moment so any advice to improve  the old bike would be welcome.

Cheers Razor

01/03/2011 at 00:18
No not a straight swop. 
Kanga M    pirate
01/03/2011 at 08:30
Razor51 wrote (see)

Help and advice needed,   I have an old road bike with 2 front rings and 7 speed cassett, it has downtube friction shifters.

Is it possible to change the cassett to a 9 speed to give me more gear options.

Can't afford to buy a new bike at the moment so any advice to improve  the old bike would be welcome.

Cheers Razor

Not sure if the 9 speed cassette would fit in your frame, suspect the 7 speeds might be a bit narrower ? Chain might need a few more links if you add too many teeth at the back as well. Guess the friction shift avoids any indexing problems. You might get away with an 8, or maybe a chat with the LBS so they can check frame/cassette width ?
11,001 to 11,020 of 11,977 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.