Numpty IM Bike Thread

Bike ponces only welcome if they don't speak in tongues

11,201 to 11,220 of 12,024 messages
01/03/2011 at 00:18
No not a straight swop. 
Kanga M    pirate
01/03/2011 at 08:30
Razor51 wrote (see)

Help and advice needed,   I have an old road bike with 2 front rings and 7 speed cassett, it has downtube friction shifters.

Is it possible to change the cassett to a 9 speed to give me more gear options.

Can't afford to buy a new bike at the moment so any advice to improve  the old bike would be welcome.

Cheers Razor

Not sure if the 9 speed cassette would fit in your frame, suspect the 7 speeds might be a bit narrower ? Chain might need a few more links if you add too many teeth at the back as well. Guess the friction shift avoids any indexing problems. You might get away with an 8, or maybe a chat with the LBS so they can check frame/cassette width ?
01/03/2011 at 09:14
as Pops says, it won't be a straight swap so you'll probably need to put a whole new groupset on and that could well cost a few bob. go talk to the LBS

if the frame's still OK and you decide that a new bike is needed instead - - then convert it into a singlespeed. that can be done quite cheaply. SS bikes are good training aids in winter
01/03/2011 at 09:43
As the others have said, but also note the 7 speed chain will deffo not work with a 9 speed cassette as its far to wide.
01/03/2011 at 10:13

I have a buckle on my back wheel, presently got bontrager race lite rims. the buckle isnt massive but i cant spin the wheel freely without catching on brake pads. I have a couple of questions

Do you think this could have been caused by using on turbo or could it just be poor roads with an overweight man riding it. i have only just started putting the mileage in, the bikes probably only done 500 or so miles?

Can they be re straightened?

Thanks

01/03/2011 at 10:40
unlikely to be the turbo JCD and very much more likely to be the roads. if you only have 500 miles on the wheels it's likely that one or more spokes have worked a bit loose and they can be easily tightened to bring the wheel back in line. you can do this yourself with a spoke key, but if you're not comfy doing that, take the wheel to the LBS and get them to do it.

one way to check is to ping each spoke with your fingernail - if it's loose it won't give a bright sound.

also check the rim to see if it's taken a hit from either a pothole or stone - you should see that quite easily as a blemish/crease and again that can be rectified if it's not too bad but probably best done by the LBS
01/03/2011 at 10:43

I will be taking at trip to the LBS late this week

Thanks

01/03/2011 at 12:34

Trueing wheels is dead easy so why not do it yourself.  I'm sure you can find a bunch of websites giving you hints and tips.

Although I have to confess that I never do mine because Pink is so much better at it

Kanga M    pirate
01/03/2011 at 12:55
M.ister W wrote (see)
Although I have to confess that I never do mine because Pink is so much better at it

Does she make house calls ?
01/03/2011 at 13:51

No

But if you bring your wheels round with some cake and are prepared to babysit Little Miss W I'm sure she'll be happy to help

05/03/2011 at 13:59
anybody got a fixie they want to sell? I'm, 5,9
Dustboy    pirate
05/03/2011 at 18:42

Hmm, I have a virtually unused Specialized one but in a 57 frame so might be a bit tall for you. Flip flop hub and a couple of spare ratios I think. 42/16/17/18.

My plans to ride to work in the winter didn't work out and now it just gets me moaned at. for taking up space

26/03/2011 at 09:21

What sort of mileage should you get from a tyre?

Currently running Michelin Pro race tyres and just wondering (without taking the tyre off) what I should expect.

26/03/2011 at 18:09
It depends on loads of things like... road surface, the amount of crap on the road, tyre pressure.  I don't log mileage and they don't get used in the winter but my pro-race 2 are still going strong after 3 years.
Dustboy    pirate
26/03/2011 at 19:46
Pro race 3's been on about 3 years, still fine and some awful roads. Never punctured yet.
Kanga M    pirate
27/03/2011 at 09:13
M.ister W wrote (see)

No

But if you bring your wheels round with some cake and are prepared to babysit Little Miss W I'm sure she'll be happy to help

Kids I can deal with, spoke spanners are just evil  
29/03/2011 at 20:00

Silly question time

I have just got a ladies racing bike, set up lovely by LBS, but I have not used a proper bike since a child, only had step thru style ladies hybrid type and have difficulty swinging leg over. Was laughed at 4 times on Sunday.

Any suggestions of exercies to do to make it easier, or is it a case of just keep practising and hopefully not hurting myself too much/ending up in a heap on the floor with the bike. Is there any benefit from getting on, on one side only I tend to go for lifting right leg, from mounting ponies when child, or do I need to be able to get on either side, bit concerned it might add a few too many seconds in transition, even though only doing a sprint tri.

29/03/2011 at 20:54
I must confess your question made me giggle slightly - but, thinking about it, I can only get on with my right leg "over"! I'm also much happier with my left foot touching down when I come to a stop.
It must be a question of practice, but I'm pretty much a novice myself. I gather you're meant somehow to slide forward off the saddle and unclip each time you come to a stop - but I can't manage to improve on a teetering lean to the side!
Good luck with the practice - maybe start on grass?
Razor51    pirate
29/03/2011 at 20:56
Steady..........just throw your leg over which ever side you comfy with..... I always throw my right leg over .We've all been on the floor with the bus queue laghing at us........ just laugh back at em
29/03/2011 at 21:39
Thanks I will get practising then.
11,201 to 11,220 of 12,024 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.