Numpty IM Bike Thread

Bike ponces only welcome if they don't speak in tongues

11,221 to 11,240 of 12,024 messages
M.r Zuvai    pirate
26/04/2011 at 09:35

couple of numpty bike questions both relating to long ride side effects :

1) on my longer rides my left hand goes numb particularly the tips of my fingers - I'm sure I've read that that's caused by having too much of my weight on my handle bars - but wouldn't that cause both hands to go numb? i never adjusted the seat in anyway when i put the tri bars on

2) the outside of my right foot hurts after a couple hours riding - i think that maybe due to the alignment of the cleats - the left foot has slipped so it faces inward ever so slightly but isn't hurting - should the feet be dead straight or pointed slightly inward or outwards - there is scope in the cleats to do either

i should probably just book as session at the LBS for a resizing adjustment and then HTFU

26/04/2011 at 09:48
1 - it's probably pressure on the nerves that runs to the fingers on that hand. maybe it's positioned slightly differently to the other hand and/or nerves are not in exactly the same spot on each side of the body so the nerves are feeling the pressure differently. I assume you're wearing gloves?? it might just be a case of finding some different gloves where the padding locations are different to help out. I get finger tingling if down on my tribars for a long time caused by nerve pressure on the forearm.

2 - whatever suits you really so you need to play around with cleat position and see what suits you best - and maybe a bikefit might help sort it out as well. but also check you aren't overtightening the right shoe causing excess pressure - as the foot swells that can cause discomfort. go for adjusting the tightening first and see what difference that makes, then move onto the cleats if there's no change.
M.r Zuvai    pirate
26/04/2011 at 10:00

Cheers FB - helpful as ever!

I'll have a play this week with different positions of the cleat to see if i can find a comfortable position

It may of course be down to the quality of riding shoe - i've the bottom of the range wiggle own brand shoes, at point of buying buying bike i couldn't afford anything else - may be worth considering a decent riding shoe

26/04/2011 at 10:10

Do you wear gloves on your rides??

Last year I didn't, and on long rides my fingers were going numb and it lasted for days. Someone suggested gel padded gloves which did the trick nicely.

M.r Zuvai    pirate
26/04/2011 at 10:23
i do - although it's mainly when i've spent prolonged periods on the tri bars that i get numb left hand - perhaps FB is right in regards to the pressure on the nerves in left forearm
29/04/2011 at 19:37

This might be an impossible question to answer - but here goes - My Focus is just over one year old now with an ultegra drivetrain.  Generally, should I be considering a new chain about now?  I estimate I have done about  1500 miles in this time.

Also, if  I do regularly replace the chain will this mean the cassette etc can be left alone for longer?

Thanks  

29/04/2011 at 20:10
Chain and cassette wear together. You should change cassette and chain at the same time. An old chain will slowly stretch and wear the cassette. This is not a problem until the gears slip (you need a fair few miles until this happens). It will wear the chain rings slightly, but not enough to worry about.

So best option is the cheapest option - leave things as they are
29/04/2011 at 20:18

Cheers Keir, 

i like the cheapest option! 

29/04/2011 at 20:19
Most times people get through several chains for each cassette - so I wouldn't replace the cassette as a matter of course every time you get a new chain.     Best thing is look up about chain stretch (which is really wear rather than stretch) on the internet and how to measure your chain - you can use a ruler or buy a chain checker.    1500 miles is towards the lower end of when people do change chains - personally I would get a bit more than that.  
02/05/2011 at 00:04

I usually have a couple of chains to a cassette.  Parktool do a chain wear checker which you just put on the chain and become horrified when it drops right in....

02/05/2011 at 07:39
Getting 2 - 3 cassettes out of a chain is fine, but you might well find the later chains wear quicker than the first. Also doesn't work if you tend, like me, to find you wear the 16 (or 15 when I'm fit) sprocket much more than the others.
Iron Pugsley    pirate
08/05/2011 at 16:44
I know it is a personal choice but I need a bit of help with saddles. I have a Tri bike but with a road saddle and I am thinking of investing in a Tri saddle to alleviate some "numbness" which I don't get on my road bike.

Do you reckon a softer nosed saddle would work and any saddles that anyone would recommend?

Thx
09/05/2011 at 17:41
I've always used a road saddle when doing tris so really have no "feeling" for tri saddles - but the general consensus seems to be that they can help when you are down on the bars for a long time. the other alternative is a saddle like an Adamo which has a large cutaway section and the weight is taken on the sit bones. I know some who swear by them for long distance although my missus is finding it's taking time to adapt to it and her jury is still out on it but she's persevering

I guess it's like all saddles though - finding the one that works for you
Gyraffe    pirate
09/06/2011 at 20:21
Just went for a ride on my newly serviced bike and found that what was previously an intermittent creak in the bottom bracket seems to have developed into a persistent noisy grating - at the bottom of the left hand pedal stroke - every stroke, no matter how gentle. It was bloody annoying but I'm not sure if it's actually serious in a mechanical sense.

Is this something I should be worried about? I'm racing at Bala on Sunday.
09/06/2011 at 20:50

Can you try spinning the cranks with the bike in a workstand or with someone holding the back wheel off the floor and identify the source of the noise if it does it then ?     If it's a grating noise sounds like something rubbing on something - which means something that moves so either the chain or the cranks?  If there's nothing obvious external then could it be something in the bearings - I'm not that well up on the new style bottom brackets.   

I'm just guessing really - nothing obvious springs to mind.     I'd keep an eye on it but if it were me I'd still do the race if I couldn't get it down the shop first.  

Gyraffe    pirate
09/06/2011 at 21:28
Thanks Popsider. The race notes say there is a bike shop team at the event so I'll ask them to take a quick look. Thanks again for your suggestions.
09/06/2011 at 22:02
Anyone know of a good place to pick up a cyclo cross bike in the South East (other than from outside a race HQ)!

Ideally around £400, 56cm frame. Tyres not tubs. Quite happy for 2nd hand or new.
10/06/2011 at 11:18
Waff - as pops says, try an isolate where the noise is coming from. It could be the BB bearings going but if it's only recently started happening you should be fine for the race - and if it's only recently been serviced, take it back and get them to fix it as they should have picked this up at the time! external bearings do tend to suffer more from wet than internal - well they do on MTB's but they get a lot of mud there as well on them.

keir - can't help on the CX bike - have you checked on Planet X?? I think they do CX bikes - or did. or check on onceridden.com and thegorillafirm.com for 2nd hand??
Gyraffe    pirate
10/06/2011 at 11:32

Thanks FB - I'll take it back in on Monday. The LBS are usually really good and they made a point of saying I should do a decent ride ahead of the race in case of any problems.... My guess is that the work aggravated something that was just starting to go...... but it was rather alarming creaking along in the rain yesterday evening.

10/06/2011 at 12:40
fat buddha wrote (see)
the other alternative is a saddle like an Adamo which has a large cutaway section and the weight is taken on the sit bones. I know some who swear by them for long distance

Always good to be able to agree with FB on a bike thread! i used to find that my whole groin area went numb on even medium distance rides. Swapped in a cutaway seat from a mountain bike and the problem disappeared. Happily doing 100-mile rides without that kind of aggro. Swapped back the other day to a more "racey" saddle for a 100 and suffered 2 days of numb arse and pins & needles in my unmentionables, which had me really worried! So the cutaway's back on and staying. I reckon I can find better ways to save 50g of weight!
11,221 to 11,240 of 12,024 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.