Numpty IM Bike Thread

Bike ponces only welcome if they don't speak in tongues

11,241 to 11,260 of 12,024 messages
Iron Pugsley    pirate
11/06/2011 at 08:53
To follow up on the saddle post.......I got a fizik arione Tri and since then I have dine two 7 hour rides with practically no discomfort so I am delighted now!

On a related but separate note......I have had a bike fit but when I am in an aero position I find it much more comfortable/effective to move my ass right to the back of the saddle. Which seems counter intuitive to what I have been told about riding on aero bars. I am gng to adjust my saddle back a bit but would be interested in any thoughts on whether moving backwards makes any sense other than comfort.
05/07/2011 at 13:47

TIme to boing an old thread for another numpty question...

How many miles should I expect to get from a rear tyre?  Current one is beginning to look a little 'flat' across the brim of the tyre (a bit like I've been running it on a turbo)-, but it's only done hmmm maybe a couple of thousand miles.  Front tyre showing similar pattern of wear (but less so).

05/07/2011 at 14:02
are they Gatorskins by any chance FF?? 'cos my G's are like that at the mo as well...

I reckon mine have done a good few thousand miles and still look OK bar the flattening and until I can actually see some casing showing through I'll keep riding them. one of them on P's hack bike has had a small tyre boot in for over a year and the split hasn't spread so why change?? none of our training tyres have been used on the turbo - it's just simple road wear.

if they were my racing tyres though, I think I'd have changed them by now.
05/07/2011 at 14:59
Varies hugely depending on the type of tyre but I keep running them until they have visibly worn through the outer layer of rubber or sometimes they'll start puncturing frequently.
05/07/2011 at 15:25
Thanks for that chaps- may treat myself to some new tyres before the A race.  They are Continental somethings (std fit on the Boardman).
WildWill    pirate
06/07/2011 at 16:21
WooHoo

There's me all technical

Just managed to change my rear cassette to a wider spread ready for a very hilly sportif i have coming up

06/07/2011 at 17:29
hope you've tightened it up correctly WW........

once you get the hang of changing cassettes it's no big deal. there are tougher jobs on a bike like bleeding hydraulic disk brake cables - drives me nuts that does!
09/07/2011 at 11:56

I went through a pair of pro race 3s in a 1000 miles. They were well killed, but suprisingly no p word, even though I could stick my finger through the canvas.

I put it down to cruddy Scottish roads. Did a Scot not invent Tarmac? They seem to have an aversion to actually laying it.

cougie    pirate
09/07/2011 at 12:01
Lol ! Not used those tyres before but I'm
Sure I get a lot more miles off my contis ? How heavy was your backpack ?
09/07/2011 at 14:36

does Ferkin cover it?

About 8kg for 4 days and 5 for the rest. Thing about pro races is they are really fast and great for cornering, but a bit soft for mashing about on the crudfest that the Scots laughably call roads. Really no word of a lie one road I let go of the bars and they were literally leaping up and down about 2 inches.

Total junk!

09/07/2011 at 15:41
oooh! I forgot about this thread!
09/07/2011 at 15:57

Talking about tyres up until a week or so ago I'd been using gatorskins ( flat bit on mine too) changed them for cowman to some schwalbe ones and I can't believe the differance in speed! was expecting them to be a bit harsh too but they're quite comfy as well.

meface    pirate
10/07/2011 at 21:09

OK I have a question.....

How fast should I aim to ride in an IM?

Done two HIMs (Swashbucklet and Cowman) and averaged 20.2 and 20.4mph. Average 70-90 mile training rides are 17mph but on training tyres (25cVittoria  Zaffiros at £7) rather than race tyres (23c Conti 4000S) which I find makes about 1mph difference.

I have used this site to predict times for Windsor Olympic and Cowman and predicted my times very accurately and faster than my own predctions.

However stepping up to IM distance it is suggesting around 5:45 for the 112 miles based on times done at Swashbuckler, Windsor, and Cowman. This is an average of 19.6mph. I was thinking more like 17.5mph.

How do more experienced folks HIM and IM bike times compare?

Meface

11/07/2011 at 10:20
"How fast should I aim to ride in an IM?"

how mashed do you want your legs at the end?? and it depends if your clock chasing or finish chasing.

Outlaw is "relatively" flat so is probably closer in feel to Cowman. I did 2:48 at C'man last w/e and 6 (and a few secs) at Outlaw last year. Outlaw would have been about 10mins quicker if I didn't have a mechanical at the start of lap 3 which required a few stops to try to fix a gear issue - I ended up with 3 gears for the last 40 miles or so.

I would think my legs felt roughly the same after both rides given the distance differences so the effort I put in was probably equal(ish).

I would be more conservative over 180km than 90km so wouldn't ride at 1/2IM pace but not far off (course dependant).

For IMWales, I am expecting it will probably be my slowest IM distance bike - but seeing as the run is tough as well, I want to have something in my legs for that. I'm not chasing a time, just a finish for that one.

my fastest IM bike time is 5:30 but that was flat Florida - I could have gone quicker (I reckon a 5:15 would have been possible) but again didn't want to mash the legs too much doing that.

so adapt your bike time to a) ability, b) course and c) result wanted.

for your 1st IM - just go and enjoy it and aim to finish - don't get too wrapped up in times or you could do your head in!!

11/07/2011 at 10:38

Nice reminder. Promised myself some racey tyres for Outlaw to replace the £8 jobs that the bike was supplied with. Sounds like it'll be worthwhile, so off to Eureka for some pleasure spending! No guilt since I picked up some bargainous bike glasses at Aldi yesterday... spitting image of the 3x lens ones that are about £40 on the bike websites and they fit my swede perfectly.... £3.99 to you Sir! Pack of Parma ham and some swiss cheese while i'm at it.

meface    pirate
11/07/2011 at 11:06
fat buddha wrote (see)
 and it depends if your clock chasing or finish chasing.
for your 1st IM - just go and enjoy it and aim to finish - don't get too wrapped up in times or you could do your head in!!

Certainly intend to enjoy it but trying to pace correctly to avoid both too fast and too slow. I suspect my run will be awful as I am not built for running. Although I have done more running than biking I am just not a runners build.

I sort of planned to be off the bike around 8 hours, 1hr 20 for swim, 10 transition, and 6hr 30 for bike. This gives me the mental comfort of being able to walk home with time to spare. If I manage to run a 4hr 30min marathon (PB=4:07) then I would clock 12.5hrs which is way quicker than I hoped for and a bit quicker than I expect.

Cowman bike was 2hrs 48 so a 6hr ride may be possible and that means 7.5 after the bike and with a 5 hour marathon a 12.5 looks more possible.

Have a history of long distance walking events and used to re-arranging schedule on the go due to unforeseen events such as bad weather, getting mislaid, feet mechanicals. So not putting a schedule together that is rigid but do want to a target for both pcaing and nutrition. Will likely have 3 Plans (A, B and C as X, Y and Z are used for other things).

Certainly intend to go slower if v.hot due to solar dome issues.

Mindset is currently a bit like my 'first' marathon. I had done a dozen ultras before my first road running marathon. Finishing wasn't the issue, I knew I could finish in  6.5 hours walking the whole way and then walk back to the start in about the same time. It was just a case of doing as well as I could. Currently I feel training has gone to plan and although tired and legs ache the 18hr peak week was all done to schedule and paces mostly held up throughout. So I will finish, barring mechanical issue, me or bike.

But based on a survey of 1 it looks like the website prediction may be closer than my own prediction with me over egging the speed degradation and sandbagging as usual. However the website can feck off if it thinks I am running a 4:02 marathon.

Thank you FB

Meface

11/07/2011 at 11:16
I had 5 targets for my first IM (CH in 2005)

1. finish
2. finish in daylight
3. finish in 14 hrs
4. finish in 13:30
5. anything better is a great day out

I had a great day out - 13:09

my swim and bike times were very similar to your plans - my swim was 1:23, bike was 6:30. The run was a bummer at 5:09 (PB just under 4) but it was exceedingly hot - 35C when I started the run - you could see the heat shimmer coming off the tarmac.

at Outlaw I had a swim PB at 1:15, 6hr bike which I thought might have brought a sub 12:30 but the run was shite - finished in 12:54 - but that's my 2nd best IM time so was happy with it.

my IM PB run is 4:54 (Florida again) which goes to show that I probably hammer the bike a bit hard to come up with a decent run.

and like you - I'm not a skinny whippet.

so - go conservatively and just see what the day brings - you might surprise yourself!
11/07/2011 at 11:30
Glad someone asked this. Did Cowman 5.56. 41 swim, 3.11 bike and 1.52 run. I've looked at some of the predictor things and they seem optimistic.
I'd be chuffed with sub 13.
meface    pirate
11/07/2011 at 12:21

FB - Thanks

Looking at those times and having met you (you are taller, better looking etc) I think we are similar in build (not whippets) I may be being very optimistic with a 4hr 30 marathon. Maybe best to plan for a 2ish hr half-marathon and then a 3 hour walk!

D - Keep moving forward for up to 16 hours!

C - Finish sub-14.5 (1:30 / 7:00 / 6:00)

B - Finsih sub-13.5 (1:30 / 6:30 / 5:30 )

A - Finish sub-12.5 (1:30 / 6:00 / 5:00 )

The run will be what it is I suspect.

But the bike I can plan for and pace correctly. Will certainly start off under pace and take the first hill nice and easy. Then start to apply a bit more pace as I get round to the second lap.

Thanks

Meface

Hess.    pirate
11/07/2011 at 13:15

Quick Techy question 

I have now got a full TT set up for my Planet X

Has anyone on here routed the internal brake cables themselves as I am really struggling to work out how to do this. It must be possible. , and if so could you enlighten the numpty here

Thanks Hess

11,241 to 11,260 of 12,024 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.