Numpty IM Bike Thread

Bike ponces only welcome if they don't speak in tongues

11,261 to 11,280 of 11,991 messages
13/10/2011 at 15:40
you can usually run tubeless wheels with or without a tube. most users would recommend taking a tube as backup if the sealant doesn't work. the problem with tubeless wheels though is finding suitable tyres as the beads and walls need to be stiffer to get a good tubeless fit against the rim internals. not all tyres are recommended for tubeless - Hutchinson do a specific road version though that is rated well. I think it's the lack of choice for road tubeless which has led to them not catching on so well.

Edited: 13/10/2011 at 15:47
Plum    pirate
13/10/2011 at 17:38
Thanks peeps..............tis only for the race wheels but I seem to be gaining sets by the day
IronCat5    pirate
14/10/2011 at 09:31

I have a 'parts-bin' road bike (Mr. W's description) and have recently been considering a Cube Arium Pro - TT geometry bike with drops and aerobars. Since then I narrowly missed out on Dr.M's Stealth which has now got me considering something pointy; the Cube Arium Race or a PX Stealth.

The Cube is very well spec'd, but Alu, and £600 up on the Stealth. But the Stealth is carbon, but in it's base spec isn't that great spec'd. For the same cost as the Aerium I could get the Stealth and some bling wheels (50/50 or 50/82), but they'd be tubs. Seems cheap deep clinchers don't exists at that price point, unless shipped from China.

Now the confession. At a recent Dorney Oly I posted a 1:21 bike split though I wasn't racing and struggled to maintain pace in to wind due to poor positioning. I hadn't ridden for about 2 weeks, and only did ~40miles that month before hand (have been concentrating on marafun training).

So am I punching well above my weight looking at the above bikes, and which to go for (assuming both fit well)? Road bike not an option.

My LBS has been superb of late (Cube stockist).

Plum    pirate
16/11/2011 at 20:30
Ok............ simples really I assume but how much of a faff is it to fit valve extenders,,,,,,

Cat
I have a Cube Aerium Pro and a Stealth, the weight difference is very noticeable. Advice from those that know said the difference in spec between the Pro and the Race was negligible and not worth the etra £400 or so more it costs, Stealth has hardly been out the door yet so will have to wait for a report on that sorry......
Had the Cube for 18 months and it has been rock solid, only problem that in have noticed and apparently it is a known defect is the BB is shite and doesnt last anywhere near as long as it should
IronCat5    pirate
16/11/2011 at 20:53

PTFE tape and some luck?

I'm hoping the Cube is heavier? Its a moot point anyhow. I popped into PX t'other week for a look see, and came out avec Stealth.Just in time to store it for winter...
Plum    pirate
16/11/2011 at 21:30
Sorry...... I nicked Dr M's

The Stealth is a lot lighter and the Cube aint heavy at all.... good job I am a fat munter or might get blown away
Edited: 16/11/2011 at 21:31
Plum    pirate
16/11/2011 at 21:51
OK been looking ...... for 100's is is best to use 2 x 40's and join them together good and proper or do they do 80's and if so would they reach?
Cheerful Dave    pirate
16/11/2011 at 23:26

Plum, are you talking about the extenders where you remove the valve core and fit it to the extension, or the ones where you leave the core in place and have to leave the little locknut on the valve undone?  Either way they're fairly easy, a little PTFE tape and do them up good & tight and they'll seal OK.  Just make sure you get the ones you want because they all look fairly similar in the packet.  Vittoria do their own extensions as well for their tubs, where the extension comes with its own valve and replaces the whole valve stem.

They do 80 extensions somewhere.  If you're adding 80 (or 2x40) to the existing valve stem you should be OK for 100.  If you've already got the tub & wheel you should be able to measure how much extra you need, but I'm guessing that since you've asked the question you don't have them yet!

Cat5, what wheels did you get with that?  If you want to try out some deep wheels with it I have a set of 82/101s that have been gathering dust since Gladys smoked the IMR bike course with them.  You'd be welcome to try them out.

IronCat5    pirate
17/11/2011 at 09:34

Hi Dave,

It came with the PX model B's, which are the best wheels I've ever ridden .I was lucky to escape the PX shop with only a bike.

I'd love to try the 82/101 out. Yes please! Slightly concerned it's the wrong time of year to be riding expensive wheels like that.....

17/11/2011 at 10:41
Plum - CD's basically said what I would say for the extenders. I use the ones that screw straight onto existing valves and they're OK, but I know Bassy swears by the ones where you replace the valve core.

if you go down the route I've chosen, make sure you pretape the valve threads on any spare tubes you carry with PTFE tape (plumber's tape) or you may find the extender not forming a good seal and pumping the tyre up is bloody painful, if not impossible. alternatively carry a strip of tape with your spare patches. nothing worse than puncturing and then not being able to get going again due to something you should have thought about
Plum    pirate
17/11/2011 at 23:36
OK

Got Continental tubs on all the wheels but they seem to have discontinued the 40mm extensions, will any brand fit?
cougie    pirate
17/11/2011 at 23:40
Yes - I've used Vitoria ones in the past.
Plum    pirate
17/11/2011 at 23:42
Thanks scouse........ you allowed up at this time of night?
cougie    pirate
18/11/2011 at 00:33
Asbo hasn't kicked in yet.

Have we all seen this yet ? How not to ride ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaQJB_bWA4c&feature=youtube_gdata_player

18/11/2011 at 09:36
wow! I could't work out why he crashed to start with as he seems to have regained control but it's only later when you see that his spokes broke you realize.

now you can see why the UCI ban tribars for group riding
JD.    pirate
25/11/2011 at 23:58
been off on the mtb on the ridgeway at night and really love it. however, i've found spds just a bit too scary with all the ruts on teh ridgeway not to mention the ice like slippery chalk trails if there's a little rain.

i've put the spikey flat pedals back on the bike. i realise this is no doubt a non-necessary frivilous purchase but are there any suggestions of stiff soled (winter possibly) mtb shoes for flat pedals? or does everyone just wear old trainers all winter? was also wondering about the overshoe situation with mtb shoes and flats, as i'm guessing the overshoes don't work too well and get shredded.

anyways, 2nd hand exposure lights off ebay and getting out at night is highly recommended. not tried the road yet at night, think i'll take my chances with the rabbits and off roading (very considerate as it happens) jeeps for a while longer before i try the road.
Edited: 26/11/2011 at 00:00
JD.
26/11/2011 at 00:21
Walking shoes or boots should be OK - that's what I use if I'm going out on the MTB in winter - I don't bother with spds at all on it as I don't use it much except for taking the kids out.
JD.    pirate
26/11/2011 at 00:23
ah that's an idea, i've got some lightweight walking boots, should be ok for the really cold evenings. i'll give them a go.
JD.
The Silent Assassin    pirate
03/01/2012 at 16:09

Out on a ride on New Years Day, riding along all very well, when I suddenly thought that the gears seemed to be slipping, the next thing, a bang, back wheel locks up and I start sliding sideways, managed to control it and unclip.

Checked the bike, chain snapped, rear derailluer snapped in 2, rear mech hanger disappered, spokes lost and wheel bent.

Ok so I have had a look at replacing certain bits and getting the wheel mended and question I have is as it seems to be quite expensive, can I not bother with a rear mech or hanger, put it 1 gear and use like a single speed, but still use the 2 rings at the front?

cougie    pirate
03/01/2012 at 16:17
Ooh unlucky !

I think that would work in one gear - but if you use 2 chainrings at the front - the chain will be too loose or too tight in one of them ?
11,261 to 11,280 of 11,991 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.