Numpty IM Bike Thread

Bike ponces only welcome if they don't speak in tongues

11,281 to 11,300 of 12,017 messages
31/08/2011 at 14:21
FF - I've just had the LBS put my road bars back on my race bike instead of my tri bars for IMWales and even though they could have reused the outers I asked them to replace both sets (gears and brakes) so that way I will hopefully get the best action from totally new bits. I'll probably squirt some teflon lube down the gear cable outers as well to help a bit further once I've tested them.

as pops says - decent cutters are big plus - I must get some....

31/08/2011 at 14:25
Thanks chaps (adds a few more items onto the shopping list...)
04/09/2011 at 16:10
Hey all, just wondering if anyone has any experience of bike fitting at Tri UK in Yeovil? If they know what they're doing or are of the 'Stand over the top tube.....yep that looks about right...' persuasion?
05/09/2011 at 12:03

Ok................ I need to stop my rear caliper twisting and ending up with one of the pads rubbing on one side of the wheel, I know how to tighten the bloody thing up but it works it's way loose quite quickly i.e a couple of hard pulls on the levers and it is back. had a look on Sheldons site and all the bits eeem to be there in the right place.

Just how tight can I do up the locking nut, Can I put a couple of knurled washers/sticky backe plastic/superglue.......... it is an aluminium frame so we are not talking crushed carbon here by the way 

05/09/2011 at 12:12
are they single or dual pivot calipers?
Edited: 05/09/2011 at 12:15
05/09/2011 at 17:35

good point , I cant see from here but they are these ones................ FSA Energy  (I-Beam)

05/09/2011 at 17:51
single then

best thing I can suggest is to look at their installation instructions. it looks like there's a centering screw adjuster which might help sort it and it looks as if you need to tighten the bolts up to a certain torque although 5-10Nm isn't a lot in reality. otherwise get a LBS to take a look

instructions here

Edited: 05/09/2011 at 17:56
Plum    pirate
05/09/2011 at 22:08
Ta muchly

I shall take the little git off and put it back on again and see if it makes any difference, if not I might upgrade,,,,,, any suggestions without going silly money
06/09/2011 at 01:07

Single pivot brakes are much worse than dual pivots for this kind of faff.   I think the solution is to tighten the retaining bolt just enough that the caliper doesn't move but not so much that the arms don't move freely enough - but it's ages since I used single pivots and someone more technical than I can confirm that or tell you the real solution and why it's a problem.   Google "single pivot caliper rubbing" though and you get loads of pages with the same thing. 

If it's a dual pivot then you can't be tightening the retaining bolt enough or maybe there is a serrated washer missing, the bolt is too long to tighten or something like that as they shouldn't go off centre.   

06/09/2011 at 08:52
I think those are dual pivot brakes, plum.  One side of the spacing washer should be serrated and that should stop the caliper rotating as it grips the frame.
06/09/2011 at 09:44
you're right Mr W - they are dual pivot - I only quickly scanned it and they look like single pivot.

from FSA website - "The Energy brake has a I-Beam forging with a dual pivot design"

a serrated washer will help if there isn't one as will following the installation instructions for balancing the pads
07/09/2011 at 13:27

Does anyone have any advice re: Bike lights? 

My commute is on lit suburban roads/ bike paths, however the local council has decided in it's wisdom to switch off half the street lights to save money   

Do I just go for the brightest I can afford or is it more complicated than that?

07/09/2011 at 13:38
brightest = most expensive usually.

if the roads are reasonably well lit then you don't need the brightest

many swear by Fenix torches which are very bright and good value for money and can be attached to bike bars. I use Exposure lights but I have no lights on some of my commute roads so need as much light as possible
07/09/2011 at 13:41

You need something bright enough for the conditions I suppose.   If it's several miles in the pitch black then  that's either going to be something expensive (maybe £150 plus - not really in touch with what decent lights cost now)  if you want to ride more than 10mph or else you are going to be shopping for cheap chinese LED torches.    I use the chinese torches backed up by a Use Joystick (the smallest model) - the USE is more reliable and has longer run time but for my eyes isn't enough to ride fast in the dark - the bigger models give the best of both worlds but aren't cheap.     

If it's just to be seen then any half decent LED light should do it.   

x- post with FB but basically same - the Use is an Exposure I think

Edited: 07/09/2011 at 13:42
07/09/2011 at 13:47
yep - Exposure is a USE brand

Fenix UK and the bike mount

Symes    pirate
07/09/2011 at 14:06
+1 for the Fenix, did me fine on that sort of commute
07/09/2011 at 14:13

Thanks, The Fenix ones look pretty good and aren't too expensive. I think it's more being visble to the traffic than actually needing to see the road. Although having seen the amount of stickers that are stuck to lamp posts telling me they're switched off might change my mind...

I'm going to buy a high vis jacket which will help the visibility issues.

29/09/2011 at 14:13

Hey guys, im thinking about upgrading my wheels for next year but have no real idea of what is or isn't a sensible investment.

I'm currently running shimano HS10s which came with the bike. Thus far they've been good and survived a winter of outdoor riding well.....was wondering if anyone could suggest what would be a sensible progression from this point

29/09/2011 at 15:11
I'm not sure what HS10s are -I know they do an RS10 which is a pretty basic shallow section wheel - I'm assuming yours are either those or something similar ?

The biggest question is what is your budget ?

The second question is what do you want from them ?

Cheerful Dave    pirate
29/09/2011 at 15:37

The "RS10" on the rim of those looks very much like "HS10", so that'll be them.

The only other question to add to pop's ones is what bike are they on?

Aside from that, there are wheels to suit any budget, but are you looking to replace your existing ones completely, or keep them as training wheels and get a second set to race on?

11,281 to 11,300 of 12,017 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.