Numpty IM Bike Thread

Bike ponces only welcome if they don't speak in tongues

11,321 to 11,340 of 11,991 messages
17/01/2012 at 17:37

Which colour gilet would you choose out of these gilets ?

Or maybe I should just get a black one of another make ?

IronCat5    pirate
17/01/2012 at 17:45
Get a pirate one?
cougie    pirate
17/01/2012 at 17:57
ROFLOLOLOLOLOLOL - I thought it said those gilets were £164 ! Good job they're on offer eh ?

For visibility I'd say yellow is far the best, then red - not as visible (to me anyway) as you'd think, then blue - thats a bit rubbish, and black as a last choice.

I've a Team Sky issue one that was £20 - I figure if its good enough for Boassen Hagen and the boys - that'll do me.

Oh and I did buy a Rapha white one - but its too pricey to wear. And A Scott one that was on offer for about £20 the other day. Oh and a JJB Fluo one that was a tenner and gets most of the wear.

Oh and an Aldi one thats black and only gets used for running cos of the colour.

What about this one : http://www.startfitness.co.uk/product.asp?strParents=&CAT_ID=0&P_ID=42831&strPageHistory=search&numSearchStartRecord=1
M...eldy    pirate
17/01/2012 at 18:07
Cheers Dave et al

The screw in pressure whatsit is now 'just resting'  I have tried a variation of settings with the road tyre when it was on and being shredded, the wear is dead centre to the tyre so I dont think there is any lateral movement going on
17/01/2012 at 20:42
Yes £80 odd is still a bit pricey for me but I've been training with a group half of whom are triathletes and they wear so much Assos I'm getting kit envy.

Cat5 - well I suppose it'd be visible...I'm more confused now anyway as my choice was the opposite order to Cougs' - ooh decisions decisions where's Gok Wan when you need him...

Melds - could still be dead centre if it's getting scrubbed laterally along the roller.
18/01/2012 at 10:52
I just don't get this Assos, Rapha, etc mentality in kit - you're spending shitloads of money on something that is frankly no better than many less expensive items. I have about 8 gilets of all sorts from duvet winter types to lightweight shells - most came from Decathlon and do a cracking job either walking, running or riding.

kit envy is a dangerous money blackhole
cougie    pirate
18/01/2012 at 11:11
I do have some lovely Rapha kit I've bought in their sales at a bargain price - but wear it in crappy weather ? Naah.

The DHB kit is pretty nice too. And much more reasonable.

I'd just not go for Black pops as if you're in a gilet its probably dull or rainy. Black is a crap colour for visibility.

My mate loves to look smart - so he had all of his kit and bike black from top to toe. We ride together on a Sunday and one dull Sunday I missed him completely. He was riding on the other side of the road - OK it was a wide dual carriageway - but he was riding under trees and I didn't spot him at all. It took him a few miles to catch me up.

So I was looking for him and didn't spot him. What chance would a dopey motorist, hung over, late for work, peering through a dirty windscreen have ?

The next week my mate turned up with a cheap Fluo gilet over his black kit - perfect.

18/01/2012 at 11:20
I also have a lot of black kit but I usually wear a coloured gilet over the top for extra visbility.

and white kit - what's that all about?? it just gets filthy and after a few washes is grey. pointless.
M.r Zuvai    pirate
18/01/2012 at 11:24
fat buddha wrote (see)
. and white kit - what's that all about?? it just gets filthy and after a few washes is grey. pointless.

the worst is white tri suits i've had the misfortune of racing behind a couple <vomit>

cougie    pirate
18/01/2012 at 11:46
I do like the way Assos have swapped their XXXL sizes for TIR - so basically they're calling you a juggernaut ! Cheek !
18/01/2012 at 11:49
I know it makes sense - I just don't want to have to ride around all the time looking like I'm manning a school crossing patrol - especially if I'm paying £80 quid for it I want to like it as well as it being functional iykwim. Most of my kit is blue and white as it's club kit - just fancied a change but when you look the colours seem very samey - red, blue, yellow or black.

cougie    pirate
18/01/2012 at 12:06
Is there a gilet that's just bright at the back but black on the front ? At least from the front you can see the car that will ignore you and plan accordingly ?
18/01/2012 at 14:17
"Is there a gilet that's just bright at the back but black on the front ?"

kind of - one of my Decathlon ones that I use a lot for riding and running has a black windblock front, and an orange stretch fleece back. it's not the brightest of orange colours, more like burnt orange, but has seen me through a couple of years of use. probably my single best activity gilet.

the downside for riding is that it doesn't have a drop tail as it's not a specific bike design (it's a walking one I think) but that's no deal if you have bibs on.
cougie    pirate
18/01/2012 at 15:27
Ooh theres a decathlon opened up near us. Can't wait to visit !
19/01/2012 at 09:25
I have a question regarding a new bike, I currently have a http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/dolce-sport-2011-womens-road-bike-ec024944?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=froogle&gclid=COafn-Hh260CFWQntAodXiPPmw

but an two years old model. I was looking at getting a new bike this year as really fancy a carbon frame one. but i am not sure whether to get a specific time trial one like a planet x or get a road bike with tri bars, I've got a budget up to £1500, I was going to order it online as a bikeshop that does my repairs said they would set it all up for me. I am not training for iron man or anything, will be for duathlons and cycling sportives.
cougie    pirate
19/01/2012 at 10:30
I'd not get a specific TT bike then if you want to do sportives etc.
A TT bike would be faster for your duathlons - but thats probably going to amount to what 1% of your miles - so for 99% of them you'd be on the wrong bike.

Fit is the most important thing on the bike - would your bikeshop measure you up for it first ? Or why cant they sell you a bike ?
19/01/2012 at 12:03
Yeah Cougs is right, you don't want to be doing sportives on a TT bike - racing and specific training to get used to it only - even if you are very flexible and can get a comfy position on it they don't suit riding in traffic or on the kind of lanes most choose to train on or that you'd get in sportives etc.

They are really an expensive luxury - well fitted you will be faster but there's no point in getting one without the deep section wheels as that's half of it and you wont get a bike and decent wheels for £1500. That said a TT bike with decent wheels and you will go faster in races - but not that much faster than a road bike with tri bars, same wheels and a position set as steep and low as you can get.
19/01/2012 at 12:54
Thanks for the advice, you've confirmed what I was thinking as do like doing long roads and if I got some tri bars will have the best of both worlds! will do some researching on a new road bike.
JD.    pirate
20/01/2012 at 07:50
do you guys patch and reuse mtb tyres after a puncture? i'd never do it on road tyres due to the high pressure, but do the patches hold fine on mtb tyres?
JD.
Bedders..    pirate
20/01/2012 at 08:26

I had a bike fit just before Christmas and two TT bikes came up as suitable and in my price range.

Scott Plasma 20 and the Trek Speed Concept 7.5

Does anyone own/have an opinion on either of these? They seem pretty much similar to me and as I say both would fit me.

Thanks in advance for any advice/views/comments

11,321 to 11,340 of 11,991 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.