Numpty IM Bike Thread

Bike ponces only welcome if they don't speak in tongues

11,341 to 11,360 of 11,978 messages
20/01/2012 at 09:37
JD - I patch both road and MTB tyres. use good patches and put them on properly and they're fine. I ditch them when they puncture again though.

Bedders - can't help on either of those. just go with what you feel is best - both are good bikes
Bedders..    pirate
20/01/2012 at 13:17
Cheers FB - moving towards the Scott to be honest......
Nicko. Hdau    pirate
20/01/2012 at 16:38
Nicko. Hdau    pirate
20/01/2012 at 16:53
20/01/2012 at 21:21
I just took delivery of my new road bike, Cube agree pro 2011 model, got it for agood price on the Internet but the only option left in my size was a triple crankset, that's fine for me as I live in the dales so I'll use the granny gear!

So I came across an issue when adjusting the gears. The front mech is a ultegra 6700 band mech for a double chain set. I got it to more or less work but it's not smooth!!...

Do you recon it's a mix up at the bike construction stage and the bike should have a 6703 front mech designed for the triple chain set?

Would you be onto the retailer to sort out a triple specific mech or just get on with it as it more or less works.?

JD.    pirate
20/01/2012 at 22:20
ta FB
JD.
Dustboy    pirate
20/01/2012 at 23:40
TT bikes are feckin' cool though.
21/01/2012 at 09:44
If it's got a triple chainset, Crux, then it should have a 6703 rather than a 6700 mech. The 6700 will never work properly because the geometry is designed for two chain rings with a maximum difference of 16 teeth. I would go back to the company you bought it from and ask for a replacement.
IronCat5    pirate
21/01/2012 at 11:07
Dustboy wrote (see)
TT bikes are feckin' cool though.
Cooler than that Cyfac POS........
OrangeCannon kona-5    pirate
26/01/2012 at 21:37

hmmm

A nice shiny TT frame has just arrived curtesy of ebay

Hope it fits!!!

I currently ride SRAM rival, but now I need to buy a groupset and Ribble seem to have 20% sale + 25% off shimano at the moment.

Their TT groupset comes in at about £350-400 for 105 and £500-600ish for ultegra.......  This included dura ace shifters / brake leavers......  (Site is down now so I can't confirm exact prices.)

So from your experience

• do groupset sales some up often....
  • should I jump now??
  • 105 or Ultegra?
  • gearing - same as my road bike or make it a bit bigger..??
Edited: 26/01/2012 at 21:38
IronCat5    pirate
26/01/2012 at 21:49

What did you get OC?

I have DA/105 on my road bike, and the TT bike has Rival, and the SRAM shifting is fantastic compared to Shimano. Admittedly they are different types of shifters, but the SRAM is so positive. SRAM also have some whizzo TT shifters that always point forwards.

Merlin normally have some good deals on groupsets. You could always price the bits up individualy that you want.

My road bike is a compact with 11-26. TT is 39/53 with a 12-27. Considering a 28 though.

26/01/2012 at 22:50

well,

I have to name it Jason the Argonaute, (that will show my age.......)
and its got 112 on the frame

27/01/2012 at 11:12
I would think it would look with a nice set of Campag EPS but that's a) going to cost more than the frame probably and b) is as rare as rocking horse crap unless you're on a pro team

if you're familiar with Shim, then stick with that rather than go with SRAM as you'll a) be familiar with the shifting and b) have interchangeable components if things go wrong with one
28/01/2012 at 09:19
Went for sram force in the end ( i like the rival kit on my road bike)
Blew the budget on the R2C shifters though

Still hunting for the cheapest rear mech but its in hand

I ride a compact at the moment, so got another of those...... should i have gone for a bigger one for a tt bike?

These gear ratios are a bit of a mystery to me. I have a 50- 34 and a 11-25 on my road bike. I can get up anything i normally ride, but do run out of gears on big downhills.....
I could pick up a 53- 39 chainset.... but that looks a big step up esp at the lower end

Errrr.......
IronCat5    pirate
28/01/2012 at 09:26

R2C...very nice.. Good decision.

With a compact you can stick bigger chain rings on it.I have bought a SRAM compact for my road bike so I can use that on the TT if needed.

34x25 is very similar to 39x28 - there is only 1" gain between the two.

Iron Muffin    pirate
30/01/2012 at 20:56

Here is a summary of my visitt to Halfords to look at Boardman bikes earlier today:

Me: I am interested in the Boardman Ladies roadbike. Have you any advice on sizing please?

Spotty - monotone assistant: It is up to you reallly.... get a small frame if you would like a small bike, large if you would like a larger frame and medium if you prefere somewhere in between.

Me: thanks (why did I say that!)

Spotty - monotoane assistant: You are welcome, would you like to order one now and you can collect it next week?

Me: No thanks 

WTF.... I don't know much about bikes but this was not going to get me to hand over £1200. 

Dustboy    pirate
30/01/2012 at 23:38
Brilliant...

Tell us near to where you are and someone will recommend a LBS that will sort you out sensibly.
Iron Muffin    pirate
01/02/2012 at 13:08

Thanks Dustboy.

I have been using my LBS (Eureka near Chester) to fix up my batterd Carrera Tour de France. It just appears that there may be better value away from the shop brands.

Is it wrong of me to think you get more  bang for your buck from an online dealer (PX, Ribble etc..)? 

Also, if I did buy from somewhere else is it wrong to use my LBS for bike fit, services etc..?

cougie    pirate
01/02/2012 at 13:44
LBS have overheads that online dealers don't.

I'd not get fitted in a LBS and then buy online - that's sneaky.
Getting it serviced after is fine - then you're paying for their work.

If you speak to Planet X they'll advise on sizing and I think they have a place in Rotherham you can visit.

Is that the Eureka cycles run by the guy from the Mills ?

Edited: 01/02/2012 at 13:45
Iron Muffin    pirate
01/02/2012 at 14:19

Yes, it is Keith from the Mills. He seems excellent from my numpty view point.

I was thinking of paying for a bike fit and being up front about what I was doing. Would this be fair as I don't want to be sneaky? ie. pay for a bike fit and use his expertise on sizing before buying, then buy online (or 2nd hand), go back for actual fit?

11,341 to 11,360 of 11,978 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.