Numpty IM Bike Thread

Bike ponces only welcome if they don't speak in tongues

11,361 to 11,380 of 12,024 messages
16/01/2012 at 16:21
ah - if bits fell out then yes, that would make me think the shifter is borked

the old "hit it with a hammer" approach isn't always the best..
16/01/2012 at 21:10
Never ever take a shimano shifter to bits.
VT'd    pirate
16/01/2012 at 21:23

lol popsider, I wouldn't normally (well, I probably would actually ), but I knew I'd already goosed it. 

I picked up a replacement LHS tiagra shifter on flea bay tonight for less than £40 so it was an expensive cockup, but could have been a lot more. 

I was a marine engineer on steam driven ships in my previous life, so the, 'Hit it harder with the biggest hammer you got' approach is ingrained in my nature.

I now have to learn how to replace the offending item....carefully!

16/01/2012 at 21:35

hi all,rear wheel punctured today, dropped the wheel out changed the tube with no problem and carried on with my ride but the gears started jumping about......what did i do???....what do i need to do now???

grateful for any help.

Cheerful Dave    pirate
16/01/2012 at 22:02

Check where the cable to the rear derailleur is going, you might have caught it somewhere when you changed the wheel which would muck up changing gears.  Check the wheel is in the dropouts properly, especially if there are any washers on the axle (there shouldn't be, but you never know).  Worst case you've managed to bend the derailleur but you'd probably have noticed knocking it that hard.

16/01/2012 at 22:04

Anybody got or know anything about the FELT B16? Thinking of that or the Canondale Slice 105 for my first TT.

Everybody seems to be raving about the spec of the Felt saying that it's more like intermediate bike than entry.

Anybody got any thoughts on these bikes?

Thanks

M...eldy    pirate
16/01/2012 at 22:09
M...eldy wrote (see)
and while we are talking turbos and tyres et.c

I have an old tacx (I think, no distinguishing marks on it) it has a variable resistance lever

For as long as I have had it, it has shredded tyres, fed up with bits of shredded rubber all over the floor I finally brought a turbo tyre.  Once I had the feeling back in my thumbs I tried it out ...

It has started to shred the turbo tyre, to the extent that the tyre has started to flatten out in the middle, the wheel/tyre sits 'just' on the wheel and obviously a little bit more once I am added into the equation, the wheel is smooth and I cant see why it is doing this

Any ideas??
Cheerful Dave    pirate
17/01/2012 at 10:48

Seems odd melds.  It could be that the tyre actually needs to sit a bit firmer on the turbo roller, if it's slipping at all you'd damage the tyre.  Does the wheel sit straight on the roller (i.e. is the tyre at 90 degrees to the roller axis)? - it should be fine but if the tyre is at a slight angle to the roller you'd also damage the tyre as it would effectively be constantly slipping along the roller, so to speak. 

Is the rear wheel true?  Slightly out wouldn't be a problem on a turbo, but if it's a very old dodgy wheel it could be the problem.

Get someone to check it when you're on it, it could be that when you're on it one side of the turbo flexes more than the other which mucks up the setup.

Re-reading the above, it's probably not much help but you never know...

Plum    pirate
17/01/2012 at 15:30
or you have screwed the pressure on the thumbscrew up too much down at the roller end........, sounds like it is pressing on the tyre too hard
Edited: 17/01/2012 at 15:31
17/01/2012 at 15:42
Always a bit of a mystery - turbos do wear tyres a bit faster than the road but shouldn't be excessive. I'm tempted by Dave's suggestion there must be some lateral movement going on so in effect the tyre is being scrubbed sideways and that's what is wearing it.

Is it just gravity pressing it onto the roller or is the roller pressed onto it ?

Mine is clamped at the rear quick release and seems fine - but don't some clamp at the bottom bracket or do some still clamp at the front - maybe those are more prone to tyre wear ??
Edited: 17/01/2012 at 15:43
17/01/2012 at 17:37

Which colour gilet would you choose out of these gilets ?

Or maybe I should just get a black one of another make ?

IronCat5    pirate
17/01/2012 at 17:45
Get a pirate one?
cougie    pirate
17/01/2012 at 17:57
ROFLOLOLOLOLOLOL - I thought it said those gilets were £164 ! Good job they're on offer eh ?

For visibility I'd say yellow is far the best, then red - not as visible (to me anyway) as you'd think, then blue - thats a bit rubbish, and black as a last choice.

I've a Team Sky issue one that was £20 - I figure if its good enough for Boassen Hagen and the boys - that'll do me.

Oh and I did buy a Rapha white one - but its too pricey to wear. And A Scott one that was on offer for about £20 the other day. Oh and a JJB Fluo one that was a tenner and gets most of the wear.

Oh and an Aldi one thats black and only gets used for running cos of the colour.

What about this one : http://www.startfitness.co.uk/product.asp?strParents=&CAT_ID=0&P_ID=42831&strPageHistory=search&numSearchStartRecord=1
M...eldy    pirate
17/01/2012 at 18:07
Cheers Dave et al

The screw in pressure whatsit is now 'just resting'  I have tried a variation of settings with the road tyre when it was on and being shredded, the wear is dead centre to the tyre so I dont think there is any lateral movement going on
17/01/2012 at 20:42
Yes £80 odd is still a bit pricey for me but I've been training with a group half of whom are triathletes and they wear so much Assos I'm getting kit envy.

Cat5 - well I suppose it'd be visible...I'm more confused now anyway as my choice was the opposite order to Cougs' - ooh decisions decisions where's Gok Wan when you need him...

Melds - could still be dead centre if it's getting scrubbed laterally along the roller.
18/01/2012 at 10:52
I just don't get this Assos, Rapha, etc mentality in kit - you're spending shitloads of money on something that is frankly no better than many less expensive items. I have about 8 gilets of all sorts from duvet winter types to lightweight shells - most came from Decathlon and do a cracking job either walking, running or riding.

kit envy is a dangerous money blackhole
cougie    pirate
18/01/2012 at 11:11
I do have some lovely Rapha kit I've bought in their sales at a bargain price - but wear it in crappy weather ? Naah.

The DHB kit is pretty nice too. And much more reasonable.

I'd just not go for Black pops as if you're in a gilet its probably dull or rainy. Black is a crap colour for visibility.

My mate loves to look smart - so he had all of his kit and bike black from top to toe. We ride together on a Sunday and one dull Sunday I missed him completely. He was riding on the other side of the road - OK it was a wide dual carriageway - but he was riding under trees and I didn't spot him at all. It took him a few miles to catch me up.

So I was looking for him and didn't spot him. What chance would a dopey motorist, hung over, late for work, peering through a dirty windscreen have ?

The next week my mate turned up with a cheap Fluo gilet over his black kit - perfect.

18/01/2012 at 11:20
I also have a lot of black kit but I usually wear a coloured gilet over the top for extra visbility.

and white kit - what's that all about?? it just gets filthy and after a few washes is grey. pointless.
M.r Zuvai    pirate
18/01/2012 at 11:24
fat buddha wrote (see)
. and white kit - what's that all about?? it just gets filthy and after a few washes is grey. pointless.

the worst is white tri suits i've had the misfortune of racing behind a couple <vomit>

cougie    pirate
18/01/2012 at 11:46
I do like the way Assos have swapped their XXXL sizes for TIR - so basically they're calling you a juggernaut ! Cheek !
11,361 to 11,380 of 12,024 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.