Numpty IM Bike Thread

Bike ponces only welcome if they don't speak in tongues

11,381 to 11,400 of 12,017 messages
18/01/2012 at 11:49
I know it makes sense - I just don't want to have to ride around all the time looking like I'm manning a school crossing patrol - especially if I'm paying £80 quid for it I want to like it as well as it being functional iykwim. Most of my kit is blue and white as it's club kit - just fancied a change but when you look the colours seem very samey - red, blue, yellow or black.

cougie    pirate
18/01/2012 at 12:06
Is there a gilet that's just bright at the back but black on the front ? At least from the front you can see the car that will ignore you and plan accordingly ?
18/01/2012 at 14:17
"Is there a gilet that's just bright at the back but black on the front ?"

kind of - one of my Decathlon ones that I use a lot for riding and running has a black windblock front, and an orange stretch fleece back. it's not the brightest of orange colours, more like burnt orange, but has seen me through a couple of years of use. probably my single best activity gilet.

the downside for riding is that it doesn't have a drop tail as it's not a specific bike design (it's a walking one I think) but that's no deal if you have bibs on.
cougie    pirate
18/01/2012 at 15:27
Ooh theres a decathlon opened up near us. Can't wait to visit !
19/01/2012 at 09:25
I have a question regarding a new bike, I currently have a http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/dolce-sport-2011-womens-road-bike-ec024944?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=froogle&gclid=COafn-Hh260CFWQntAodXiPPmw

but an two years old model. I was looking at getting a new bike this year as really fancy a carbon frame one. but i am not sure whether to get a specific time trial one like a planet x or get a road bike with tri bars, I've got a budget up to £1500, I was going to order it online as a bikeshop that does my repairs said they would set it all up for me. I am not training for iron man or anything, will be for duathlons and cycling sportives.
cougie    pirate
19/01/2012 at 10:30
I'd not get a specific TT bike then if you want to do sportives etc.
A TT bike would be faster for your duathlons - but thats probably going to amount to what 1% of your miles - so for 99% of them you'd be on the wrong bike.

Fit is the most important thing on the bike - would your bikeshop measure you up for it first ? Or why cant they sell you a bike ?
19/01/2012 at 12:03
Yeah Cougs is right, you don't want to be doing sportives on a TT bike - racing and specific training to get used to it only - even if you are very flexible and can get a comfy position on it they don't suit riding in traffic or on the kind of lanes most choose to train on or that you'd get in sportives etc.

They are really an expensive luxury - well fitted you will be faster but there's no point in getting one without the deep section wheels as that's half of it and you wont get a bike and decent wheels for £1500. That said a TT bike with decent wheels and you will go faster in races - but not that much faster than a road bike with tri bars, same wheels and a position set as steep and low as you can get.
19/01/2012 at 12:54
Thanks for the advice, you've confirmed what I was thinking as do like doing long roads and if I got some tri bars will have the best of both worlds! will do some researching on a new road bike.
JD.    pirate
20/01/2012 at 07:50
do you guys patch and reuse mtb tyres after a puncture? i'd never do it on road tyres due to the high pressure, but do the patches hold fine on mtb tyres?
JD.
Bedders..    pirate
20/01/2012 at 08:26

I had a bike fit just before Christmas and two TT bikes came up as suitable and in my price range.

Scott Plasma 20 and the Trek Speed Concept 7.5

Does anyone own/have an opinion on either of these? They seem pretty much similar to me and as I say both would fit me.

Thanks in advance for any advice/views/comments

20/01/2012 at 09:37
JD - I patch both road and MTB tyres. use good patches and put them on properly and they're fine. I ditch them when they puncture again though.

Bedders - can't help on either of those. just go with what you feel is best - both are good bikes
Bedders..    pirate
20/01/2012 at 13:17
Cheers FB - moving towards the Scott to be honest......
Nicko. Hdau    pirate
20/01/2012 at 16:38
Nicko. Hdau    pirate
20/01/2012 at 16:53
20/01/2012 at 21:21
I just took delivery of my new road bike, Cube agree pro 2011 model, got it for agood price on the Internet but the only option left in my size was a triple crankset, that's fine for me as I live in the dales so I'll use the granny gear!

So I came across an issue when adjusting the gears. The front mech is a ultegra 6700 band mech for a double chain set. I got it to more or less work but it's not smooth!!...

Do you recon it's a mix up at the bike construction stage and the bike should have a 6703 front mech designed for the triple chain set?

Would you be onto the retailer to sort out a triple specific mech or just get on with it as it more or less works.?

JD.    pirate
20/01/2012 at 22:20
ta FB
JD.
Dustboy    pirate
20/01/2012 at 23:40
TT bikes are feckin' cool though.
21/01/2012 at 09:44
If it's got a triple chainset, Crux, then it should have a 6703 rather than a 6700 mech. The 6700 will never work properly because the geometry is designed for two chain rings with a maximum difference of 16 teeth. I would go back to the company you bought it from and ask for a replacement.
IronCat5    pirate
21/01/2012 at 11:07
Dustboy wrote (see)
TT bikes are feckin' cool though.
Cooler than that Cyfac POS........
O.rangeCannon (kona-7)    pirate
26/01/2012 at 21:37

hmmm

A nice shiny TT frame has just arrived curtesy of ebay

Hope it fits!!!

I currently ride SRAM rival, but now I need to buy a groupset and Ribble seem to have 20% sale + 25% off shimano at the moment.

Their TT groupset comes in at about £350-400 for 105 and £500-600ish for ultegra.......  This included dura ace shifters / brake leavers......  (Site is down now so I can't confirm exact prices.)

So from your experience

• do groupset sales some up often....
  • should I jump now??
  • 105 or Ultegra?
  • gearing - same as my road bike or make it a bit bigger..??
Edited: 26/01/2012 at 21:38
11,381 to 11,400 of 12,017 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.