Numpty IM Bike Thread

Bike ponces only welcome if they don't speak in tongues

11,441 to 11,460 of 12,017 messages
cougie    pirate
27/02/2012 at 16:24
LOL - sorry not got the shifter - but maybe Ebay ?

Congratulations on a spectacular crash though. Is there any chance there was CCTV around ? I'm just curious.
27/02/2012 at 16:41
I hope not cougie Lol,but you never know.Will have to keep an eye on Youve been Framed
27/02/2012 at 17:11
Bliddy Hell Sponge, narrow escape there, glad you didn't come off too bad. The bike can be mended! Put some washing up liquid on the inside of the lenses next time and polish them. That way they shouldn't steam up again!
VT, I had a bike fit the other week, (guy from Bracknell was recommended by Dustboy!) and I thought it was very worthwhile. One thing he did say to me, having watched my riding on the turbo, is not to 'lock' my arms out whilst riding as it would send the road vibrations straight up my arms and into my shoulders and neck. Instead I need to bend my arms so they act like shock absorbers for my upper body.
All the other suggestions already mentioned are all good points too though so I'd go about adopting them all!
IronCat5    pirate
27/02/2012 at 17:59

Did you manage to leave the shop without parting vast amounts of money Siggy? They're about a mile from my house.

Sponge - try the bikeradar forum classifieds for things like that.

27/02/2012 at 18:04
Prince,I was amazed that I didnt hurt myself more.I was in agony riding home and abit sore for the rest of the day.Had a good swim this morning and apart from slight back ache I'm not to bad.
Rafiki    pirate
27/02/2012 at 18:05
Cat5 - what shop are you referring to as I'm obviously not too far from you either - another good Tri shop to annoy my bank manager is never a bad thing!!
IronCat5    pirate
27/02/2012 at 18:27

Cyclezone in Crowthorne.

Where are you RafikiD?

27/02/2012 at 18:35
how can you always tell it's a mountain biker on a road bike? 'cos he'll have bent arms.

MTBers learn to ride with bent arms and a relatively loose grip otherwise the vibration of riding off road will crucify the upper arms, neck and shoulders. translate that onto road riding and you won't suffer so much.

many riders think they need to keep a solid grip on the bars but frankly you don't - watch how loose the pro riders grips are - the bike will often take care of it's tracking and you only need to stiffen the grip when you see hazards ahead.
Rafiki    pirate
27/02/2012 at 19:13

Hey Cat5

That's the old Berkshire Cycles place just be the station? The other Cyclezone that was in Winnersh (which is now a Subway) was terrible - but I guess it has a lot to do with the guys/girls that work there!

I'm just up the road in Wokingham

Fat Buddha - agree completely. I've certainly noticed my reliance on using the bars on my road bike has reduced after getting to grips (excuse the pun) with riding aeros on the TT bike where body position tends to control the steering just as much!

IronCat5    pirate
27/02/2012 at 22:11

That's the place.The road shop is very nice.

Small world eh! Let me know if you're up for a long TT bike ride.

27/02/2012 at 22:33
Cat, I did leave without too much of a dent in my pocket! They didn't have anything in my size and price bracket!!!
Dave is a nice bloke and obviously very knowledgable!!
Rafiki    pirate
28/02/2012 at 13:00

Cat5

I'm certainly up for that - although depends what you class as long. I'm currently doing about 35 - 40 miles on the TT, averaging about 21/22mph. But happy to be pushed a little.

I'm off to Girona next week for some warm weather training and some hills - but I'll give you a shout when I'm back.

I know you've already done it, but it would be nice to do the Olympic TT course at least once!

Golden Boots    pirate
28/02/2012 at 13:28
I would definitely fancy joining you guys for the Olympic course
IronCat5    pirate
28/02/2012 at 14:03

The course is ~29miles from Hampton Court and back. Stop for cake at Five at the River afterwards.

I need to get up to that distance on the TT first!

Rafiki    pirate
28/02/2012 at 14:58

Goldern Boots/Cat5

Want to pencil in something towards the end of March sometime then? I've got half marathon on the 25th March and another of 1st April, but they're both Sundays, so any Saturday works for me

Golden Boots    pirate
28/02/2012 at 15:25
Could be tempted with the 24th March, as I'm away the weeks before and afterwards. What's the half-marathons?
Rafiki    pirate
28/02/2012 at 18:03

24th works for me. Cat5?

Half on the 25th is the Water for Life, between Marlow and Henley along the Thames - not very fast, but a fun little local run. 1st April is Reading - which if you don't get bogged down at the start it can be a quick course

IronCat5    pirate
28/02/2012 at 21:20

Unfortunately not. I have a prior engagement that I have to be at! On pain of, erm, pain!

That is about the only date I can't do....other than:

18Mar, 15Apr, 6May, 27May. Something's happening on the 1st July too

Raf, did you do the Wokey Cokey the other weekend?

Rafiki    pirate
28/02/2012 at 21:42

Cat, alas I'm suffering from a mild bought of Plantar fasciitis, so had to pull out of Wok - was on the side lines shouting abuse though! I take it you did it? How'd it go?

As for doing the Olympic TT course - shall we plonk for 6th May, as I think Golden Boots is busy on 18Mar, I've got a little 26.2 mile jog around Brighton on 15 Apr. How does that sound GB?

Plus I'm busy on 1 julu also - shouting abuse, sorry offering support to you guys!

But Cat, if you fancy a ride out somewhere on the TT bikes on the 18th, drop me a PM and we can arrange!

IronCat5    pirate
28/02/2012 at 21:51

Sounds painful. Did 1:38, a great race.

Sorry - those are the dates I can't do...

11,441 to 11,460 of 12,017 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.