Bike ponces only welcome if they don't speak in tongues

11,461 to 11,480 of 11,990 messages
03/04/2012 at 14:33
to quote the esteemed Meldy

"CD - you'll keep"

Edited: 03/04/2012 at 14:33
Holly_Golightly    pirate
03/04/2012 at 18:03
In the absence of grease, what can I use on my pedals before I attach them?
Plum    pirate
03/04/2012 at 18:58
vaseline?
KY?
baby oil
Holly_Golightly    pirate
03/04/2012 at 20:08
Tis alright - FB is coming to rescue this lil damsel in distress.
03/04/2012 at 20:12
I bet he is!!
04/04/2012 at 09:07
Edited: 04/04/2012 at 09:08
IronCat5    pirate
04/04/2012 at 19:44

Rubrurbrubrubrubrubrubrub.

Note to self. After adding ~30psi in to tyres, ensure rear wheel doesn't rub on seat tube cutout! Moved to a random position to continue ride.Will sort out the adjusters one day...

NV
10/04/2012 at 15:25
Anyone used Pro-lite Vicenza wheels or know anything about them? Google doen't turn up much in the way of reviews. A guy at my club is selling a pair of 90mm tubs for a very good price.
20/04/2012 at 15:57

Finally drummed-up courage to upgrade my road bike to some faster wheels. Mid profile aero clinchers, probably from PX or ebay. My two main races this year are lumpy; The HairyArse half-distance and IM Wales.

Would the panel recommend a 50mm or a 60mm profile, please? 50's would be easier in the wind, I guess, but it doesn't feel like it's creating a significant aero advantage at that depth. Is a 50 any stiffer than a 60, or is that not a material concern?

Thanks as always for your advice .

20/04/2012 at 17:02
stiffness is no big deal - if they're built well, they're stiff at any depth

fwiw - I run 60 front, 90 rear and did IMWales on them (and a few other IM). the only thing you need to be wary of with deep rims is wind - and at IMW last year it was vicious wind so handling at times became an issue. the roads at IMW often have high hedges which shelter you but then you'll get a gust coming through a gate opening which would send you across the road - that caused a few people to crash.

being a large munter, I can keep the back end down better in wind than the skinny whippets so it wasn't as big a deal for me.

but in hindsight - did I gain anything from them at IM over that lumpy course? probably not and standard rims would have been more stable on the day and I don't think I'd have lost any time with them.

deep rims are great when the course and conditions are right but they ain't always necessary.
IronCat5    pirate
20/04/2012 at 17:55

I'm also looking at the PX 50 & 60mm wheels. 60mm are like hen's teeth.

How do these disc-covers fare? Is it a good spend for £80, or am I likely to end up blown in to a field. I'm guessing Marshman could be a lot windier than Outlaw.

21/04/2012 at 09:50

I find the 50s a handful in the wind. I also prefer my road bike's rim for lunatic descendng too!

I'm just a scaredy cat!

21/04/2012 at 10:29
You'll be fine with disc covers Cat - it's the front that affects handling - if it's OK to use a 50mm in the front you'd be OK with a disc in the rear.

My deep sections aren't super deep - think they are about 45mm - but not had a problem with them in even quite windy weather - for a triathlon I reckon all carbon for the weight and then maybe 50-60mm front should be OK on 90% of days if you are reasonably confident on a bike - maybe stay 40-50mm if you are nervous or getting blown about.

If you have the money some of the modern rim shapes (Zipp,Hed for two) are meant to be far more stable in cross winds and provide more aero benefit when the wind is from an angle.

I'm looking at getting some new deep sections but more for road races so looking at something with an alloy brake track as I don't like the grabby braking you get on some (like my current ones) call carbons - doesn't seem to bother some people mind you.
23/04/2012 at 11:54
Thanks folks. I've treated myself to a cheap pair of clincher 60's. Will stick a 12:27 cassette on the back and try that out as race set-up. See if I can stay out of the ditches on them!
IronCat5    pirate
23/04/2012 at 17:44
Which ones did you get Slower? The PX handbuilts?
Golden Boots    pirate
23/04/2012 at 19:08
Hmmm... an aero jacket for the PX60mms are tempting. Does anybody know how easy are they to get off and on? Is it a couple of minutes job or does it take a couple of hours or so?
24/04/2012 at 10:09
I went even further down the cheapskate league than that, Cat. Direct from carbonzone in China via ebay. The shame of it . Could have gone cheaper still, but the overwhelming majority of blog and forum  feedback on carbonzone seems positive, so I live in hope. I'll let you know how they work out.
IronCat5    pirate
24/04/2012 at 11:24
That was my orignal choice. Was looking at the full carbon 50 and 80.

Are yours full carbon or carbon faired?
24/04/2012 at 11:37
It says "full carbon" on the receipt. Wondered about getting different sizes for F and B but just went with what looked easy tbh. Asked them to do the nice red hubs and spoke nipples because I'm vain and shallow. Bought separately some Conti Light tubes with the 80mm valve so that I don't have to muck about with extenders. Everything I've read here suggests they're a pain you can do without. Last question I'm toying with is whether to get some custom decals made for them .
24/04/2012 at 16:41

Regarding the wheelcovers, taking them off and putting them on requires you to remove the cassette. So you need tools for that as well as a screwdriver for the jackets screws. It takes me about 5 mins to do the job with the correct tools.

Regarding the Chinese wheels, I've ordered a set direct from the factory, awaiting delivery will let you know when they arrive what they are like quality wise in comparison to my others.

11,461 to 11,480 of 11,990 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.