Numpty IM Bike Thread

Bike ponces only welcome if they don't speak in tongues

11,501 to 11,520 of 12,017 messages
IronCat5    pirate
02/04/2012 at 14:31

Could be a bent mech hanger STIL

FB - I'm running Schwalbe Ultremo ZX (cunning labelled with 95-145psi on the side...). PX Model B wheels, so about 30mm rims.

The huge Speedfil may have something to do with x-wind issues; it fills the front triangle quite nicely.

02/04/2012 at 14:39
don't see that those tyres would be an issue C5 but you still need more air in them especially if they're rated as they are. try them with 120 in and see how that feels.

also check the spokes tension, and the other thought I had was that the QR wasn't tightened up enough allowing a little play. you probably wouldn't notice this when riding a straight line, but any looseness would be more noticeable at speed on a bend as the wheel is trying to come out of the dropouts.
02/04/2012 at 15:09

I now know what a hanger is, if the hanger is the shiny alloy bit that the wheel skewers tighten onto and the black geary bits attach to? Anyway, that's the bit that was bent. It's not bent now, or at the very least, it's not bent enough to get in the spokes. Thanks as always!

cougie    pirate
02/04/2012 at 15:18
Cat are you on the tribars anyway ? That will make you more prone to wandering across the road.
02/04/2012 at 16:02
stil - spot on description of the mech hanger - "shiny alloy bit that the wheel skewers tighten onto and the black geary bits attach to" 'cept hanger is quicker and easier to say.

have you checked that the gears index OK now??
02/04/2012 at 16:55

Haven't put the wheels back on yet. Need to mend the puncture in the front and I was thinking of changing the rear cassette to the more tenby-friendly ratio I got bought for chrimbo.

Good chance that tomorrow will see me taking pieces of bike to my LBS .

02/04/2012 at 17:57
it might be worth looking at getting a new mech hanger while you're at it. even though you've straightened it, the metal will now be a a little weaker so will bend more easily in any future hits. it will be fine for the moment, but it's worth thinking about replacing it - it shouldn't be too expensive to do so.
IronCat5    pirate
02/04/2012 at 18:13

hurrah for STIL's club hammer.

cougie wrote (see)
Cat are you on the tribars anyway ? That will make you more prone to wandering across the road.

Yes Cougie, on the tribars. I officially have no handling skills when aero.

So Schwalbe recommend 115psi for a 75kg rider, and that's about me and the bike combined. So possibly the tyres are squirming. I had wondered if it was speed wobble, with the bars damped and the back wobbling?

QR is tight. The drive-side tension feels higher than the other. I may drop the wheel in the shop next week.

I'll try 115-120psi. Thanks FB, you are a vast font knowledge!

03/04/2012 at 09:54
[bows humbly......]

Cheerful Dave    pirate
03/04/2012 at 13:55
Cat5 in the Hat wrote (see)

Thanks FB, you are a vast font!

FTFY

[sorry FB, couldn't resist]

03/04/2012 at 14:33
to quote the esteemed Meldy

"CD - you'll keep"

Edited: 03/04/2012 at 14:33
Holly_Golightly    pirate
03/04/2012 at 18:03
In the absence of grease, what can I use on my pedals before I attach them?
Plum    pirate
03/04/2012 at 18:58
vaseline?
KY?
baby oil
Holly_Golightly    pirate
03/04/2012 at 20:08
Tis alright - FB is coming to rescue this lil damsel in distress.
03/04/2012 at 20:12
I bet he is!!
04/04/2012 at 09:07
Edited: 04/04/2012 at 09:08
IronCat5    pirate
04/04/2012 at 19:44

Rubrurbrubrubrubrubrubrub.

Note to self. After adding ~30psi in to tyres, ensure rear wheel doesn't rub on seat tube cutout! Moved to a random position to continue ride.Will sort out the adjusters one day...

NV
10/04/2012 at 15:25
Anyone used Pro-lite Vicenza wheels or know anything about them? Google doen't turn up much in the way of reviews. A guy at my club is selling a pair of 90mm tubs for a very good price.
20/04/2012 at 15:57

Finally drummed-up courage to upgrade my road bike to some faster wheels. Mid profile aero clinchers, probably from PX or ebay. My two main races this year are lumpy; The HairyArse half-distance and IM Wales.

Would the panel recommend a 50mm or a 60mm profile, please? 50's would be easier in the wind, I guess, but it doesn't feel like it's creating a significant aero advantage at that depth. Is a 50 any stiffer than a 60, or is that not a material concern?

Thanks as always for your advice .

20/04/2012 at 17:02
stiffness is no big deal - if they're built well, they're stiff at any depth

fwiw - I run 60 front, 90 rear and did IMWales on them (and a few other IM). the only thing you need to be wary of with deep rims is wind - and at IMW last year it was vicious wind so handling at times became an issue. the roads at IMW often have high hedges which shelter you but then you'll get a gust coming through a gate opening which would send you across the road - that caused a few people to crash.

being a large munter, I can keep the back end down better in wind than the skinny whippets so it wasn't as big a deal for me.

but in hindsight - did I gain anything from them at IM over that lumpy course? probably not and standard rims would have been more stable on the day and I don't think I'd have lost any time with them.

deep rims are great when the course and conditions are right but they ain't always necessary.
11,501 to 11,520 of 12,017 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.