Numpty IM Bike Thread

Bike ponces only welcome if they don't speak in tongues

11,501 to 11,520 of 11,991 messages
Cheerful Dave    pirate
01/05/2012 at 20:49

They should be fine out of the box, although you might need to fit rim tape.  I sometimes wonder if the plastic covers might be handy for protection in transit but I've never used them.  To get a new cassette on you'll need a Shimano cassette tool to tighten the lockring and a big spanner.  You'll need a chain whip if you want to get it off again.  I may have a Shimano tool lying around but most of my wheels have Campag cassettes.  I think they're around a fiver on wiggle.

Nice wheels BTW!

01/05/2012 at 21:40
Actually hairdryer or hot water probably a better suggestion than the oven - you'd be amazed how quickly a tyre cooks !
02/05/2012 at 07:15

Hey Slower my Chinkzipps arrived yesterday too.... Bit of a bu**er to get on but the thumbs were up to it, plus a bit help from the levers, well a lot of help. Tyres are Vittoria Evo's mind you

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/134966/gallery/dsc01545.jpg?width=350&height=263&mode=max

09/05/2012 at 16:07

Looks very nice, Pebble. Slick!

I got mine on in the end after much huffing and puffing, two punctures in the rear tube (subsequently thrown away) and one in the front tube. I had to use levers too and even had to buy a bigger set of levers from the LBS because my little Lezyne ones were getting nowhere. And there's so little space in the clincher cavity, which meant that i managed to pinch the tube.

I mentioned the hassle to my LBS where one of the staff has bought some carbonzones and he said to use cheap rim tape (insulation tape even), rather than good stuff. I'd bought the nice thick Velox Fond De Jante stuff, which may have taken up too much space in the tiny cavity.

End result is that my bike looks utterly bitching, but i'm now petrified about what'll happen in a race if i get a flat, because i don't fancy 2 hours roadside snapping my fingernails if I pop one. Maybe I'll by some Evo's if they're the most flexi tyres, much as i love my Conti Tri's.

Doner Kebab    pirate
09/05/2012 at 16:13
Get another set and stretch them on spare wheels or alternate the 2 sets on them rims
IronCat5    pirate
09/05/2012 at 21:40

Are your tyres folding ones STIL?

10/05/2012 at 00:25

I have a set of conti 4000, I'll try them as well. I have fitted a pair of vittoria latex tubes as well, they feel so much better (I think)

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/134966/gallery/1134_dsc01554_1.jpg?width=350

IronCat5    pirate
13/05/2012 at 18:42

My 60mms arrived this week. Ultremos were fitted without the aid of lyre levers. Unfortunately the route I grabbed from Bikeley yesterday said on-road, whereas the actual route was through Berks' finest country lanes. Absolutey shocking road surfaces and some even had grass growing in the middle. I woke up this morning to a flat rear.

After various training and family duties I spent the remaining tinme in the sun patching innertubes (80mm valve tubes are not cheap!) and gluing cuts in tyres. I created a small pile of flints shards.

I have some Vittoria Zaffio tyres on my heavy winter wheels. I guess I need some decent training tyres to go on my 30mms now they're relegated to training. That said, the 60mm on the front was a little hairy on some of the winds yesterday. It could be down to the farm-gate/hedge-gap gusts. Either way, it was exciting.

Bike is kitted up with all the stuff I think I'll need for the bike day. It's resting against a bank at the roadside, not laid out in a field, honest!

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/553795/gallery/img-20120512-00270_sm.jpg?width=350

13/05/2012 at 23:21

How windy was it Cat - I was thinking of making an offer on a set of 58mms a mate is selling but I'd want them for bunch racing.

IronCat5    pirate
14/05/2012 at 08:39

Windy enough to notice the difference when cycling in to the wind/downwind.

Will you see any deep wheel benefits in a bunch?

14/05/2012 at 09:18

Honest answer is I'm not sure how much difference it makes when you are on a wheel - but when I'm sprinting clear of the field it should help.....actually yeah probably not worth me getting them then !    

IronCat5    pirate
20/05/2012 at 08:37

Popsider - windy Thursday was interesting. Yesterday was easy. Don't forget it's about how cool you look

On the flip side it appears I did 5hrs with a rear tyre hernia - a slice from last week that I tried to glue. How easy it it to patch tyres from the inside, or am I commited to buying a new tyre? I wish I'd bought some training tyres now. More expense. 

Now on to shorts - my Decathlon comfy bibs are too padded for the TT bike. My MoreMile shorts are too thin and the pad edge chafes. Good for about 2-3 hours. Any recommendations? More expense

21/05/2012 at 09:53

Cat5 - if the tyre split isn't too bad, use a tyre boot.  This sits between the tube and tyre wall and stops the tube bulging through.  I've run a tyre with one in for a couple of years and it was fine.  a tyre boot is basically a piece of plastic/material that is thin enough but solid enough to cover the hole - some tyre repair kits come with one in.  a piece of cut up squeezy toothpase tube makes quite a good one.

as for shorts, I find tri shorts the best for long rides even in a TT position

Rafiki    pirate
21/05/2012 at 10:10

HI, I'm after some advice:

I currently have a Fuji Aloha, which is all I can afford at the moment. But I'm looking to do Lanza next year, for which I may or may not be in a position to upgrade the bike. But If I can't afford to upgrade the entire bike, can you make any recommendation to upgrade any components??? Current bike spec:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/fuji/aloha-10-2011-triathlon-bike-ec024644#features

Thanks

21/05/2012 at 11:20

Hi, this might be the place to ask bike advice.

Looking for my first road bike, buying it through cycle-to-work scheme. Boyfriend has found this one from Evans. Is it any good? Probably not looking to upgrade for awhile and plan is to do sprint/od distances.

Pinnacle Evaporite One 2012 Road Bike

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/pinnacle/evaporite-one-2012-road-bike-ec032171?query=PINNACLE#features

thank you.

Edited: 21/05/2012 at 11:21
21/05/2012 at 13:50

Mikasa, the specs look alright on that Pinnacle, but if you're not the right shape and size for the geometry then it won't be any good.  Do you have an Evans local to you?

Rafikid- think you need to quiz Orange Cannon about his Lanza experience on his TT rig.  My first thought at looking at the spec is that it's (unsurprisingly) quite highly geared.  If you've got the leg strength to climb on a 39/25 then not a problem.

Rafiki    pirate
21/05/2012 at 14:05

Thanks FF - I intend to quiz OC on his return. I am fortunate when it comes to climbing in that I weigh bugger all, which makes hills easier - an advantage I annoyed a lot of people with at the Etape Caledonia the other weekend!

21/05/2012 at 14:54

Thanks FF. Yes, I have Evans near me. I will look at other bikes too and in the end, go by fit. I know it's all important.

21/05/2012 at 17:44

The head tube is quite long on that Pinnacle so not ideal if you plan to fit tri bars in the future.   Other than that it's probably OK - it'll be a generic cheap carbon frame badged up by Evans as a Pinnacle to get the price under a grand - which is OK but I wouldn't say carbon is necessarily better than aluminium at that price point.     In other words if you are sure you don't want to fit tri bars in future and it fits you OK as a road bike it's probably as good as anything else.

IronCat5    pirate
21/05/2012 at 19:14

Cheers FB. It's the whole worry again about throwing away the big day for the sake of a tyre.

Mikasa, are you somewhere near Brizzle? Pop down to Bike Science to see what they have - not too far from Evans.

11,501 to 11,520 of 11,991 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.