Numpty IM Bike Thread

Bike ponces only welcome if they don't speak in tongues

11,521 to 11,540 of 11,980 messages
VT'd    pirate
21/05/2012 at 19:28

Cat I have started wearing my 2xu long distance tri shorts for my long rides and used them throughout my HIM distance last week without needing to butter up.  I bought them after they were recommended by a few on here.

I find them far more comfortable than my thicker padded shorts, which cause me to keep shifting around on the bike, and the pad is well chamfered at the edges to stop/reduce chaffing.  I was thinking of changing to dry cycle shorts after the swim, but I think I might go the distance with these.

Blisters    pirate
26/05/2012 at 18:38

I rode with the tri group for the first time last week, and was out again this week.

Effectively I got bollocked for avoiding a pothole when on the inside of the 2x2 pack and causing a swerve. Am I just supposed to smash the bike up? As it was I got a pinch puncture 400 yards from home when I was on my own!

The group one riders are frankly crap at pointing out potholes.

28/05/2012 at 20:42

Can you bunny hop?

If you have time it can save your  tyre even if the effect is to only only weight the bike.

I'm not taking the mick either!

28/05/2012 at 21:46

I picked up some real good advice from folks on here when I bought my cheapo, carbon clinchers from ebay recently. Thought i'd report back, having ridden them a meaningful number of times.

I'm still a little freaked by how much hassle and effort it was to fit the innertubes, including multiple punctures, but the speed impact has been really meaningful. I think it's putting between 1 & 2 miles an hour on my average. I'm growing to expect to see 20+ mph whenever I look at the speedo, which i never used to. I'm not finding the handling especially hairy either.

So assuming I don't puncture, these could be the best £240 of tri budget I've spent!

VT'd    pirate
28/05/2012 at 21:55

I'm glad you reported back STIL as I have being trawling websites (bike shops) and wondering if I need them. 

I think I want an alloy braking surface but that's only going on gut instinct.  I looked at the PX website and they are cutting a decent deal on 50mm rims but they are all carbon I believe.  

I would like to upgrade my bike at the end of the summer, relegating my current bike to winter hack.  So if I spend wisely the wheels will transfer to, and enhance my newer (probably not brand new) bike.

Looking for a decent recommend on wheels for a budget of about £700 tops.  I'm prepared to go second hand for VFM.

IronCat5    pirate
28/05/2012 at 22:01

VT'd: PX do some carbon faired 50mm & 60mm wheels with alu brake tracks. Mine are on the previous page. That budget would get wheels, lots of tubes and some good tyres and a wheel bag.

For that kind of money you could get some Mavic Cosmics?

28/05/2012 at 22:03

The braking's not all that bad, mate. I've not ridden hard in the wet yet, but they're fine enough. Bit grabby when yank em really hard, but i feel safe so far. That said, i tend to feel safer than i ought to. 

If you're after an alloy rim, I saw somewhere today offering the 50mm Shimano aeros with the alloy rim. £595. I think it was a bike shop on ebay.

Bouncing Barlist    pirate
28/05/2012 at 22:22

Re braking on carbon rims, I had a nastly experience on a very long decent in Switzerland a few years ago, was a hot day and under heavy braking my standard rubber blocks were melting and shedding chunks.  Only just managed to slow the bike down enough to make a 90 degree bend at the bottom.

I since changed the pads to SwissStop (yellow) which are for carbon rims, theyre really good.

TheEngineer    pirate
29/05/2012 at 20:44

Pebble can I ask what you paid for the wheels? And where you got them from? And if they're worth it?! I'm looking at getting some... 

TheEngineer    pirate
29/05/2012 at 21:26

In fact if anyone can recommend cheap, aero and light then they're very welcome to speak up! I'll consider clincher, tubular, new, used, chinese, nigerian..... Would like to spend as little over £400 (all inc to put them on) as possible, but if tubular, I'd need to buy three tyres...

IronCat5    pirate
29/05/2012 at 21:32
SlowEngineer wrote (see)

In fact if anyone can recommend cheap, aero and light

Pick any two of those three.

29/05/2012 at 21:52

Planet X are cheap, aero and light - well they wont be as aero as Zipps or Heds but they are cheap, light, aero wheels.    Whether they are any good I don't know - I've heard things both ways but never ridden them myself.    If you want even cheaper then look at the wheels direct from China - I know a couple of guys who got some very cheap - certainly sub 400 - if you are interested I'll ask what they think of them.   

VT'd    pirate
29/05/2012 at 21:58

Ha Ha, very sharp.

I looked at both Cat's and STIL's recommends.  The PX's with aluminium tracks look a good buy @ £499.  So do the Shimano RS80s off ebay.  Not being the most decisive person on earth I also looked at the Cosmic Carbone SLs. 

I threw up a speculative bid on ebay for a pair of 1 year old Cosmics, but if I get outbid I'll probably happily settle on the PXs.

TheEngineer    pirate
29/05/2012 at 22:28
Cat5 in the Hat wrote (see)
Pick any two of those three.  

That was partly joking, really. I hadn't actually noticed VT's comment beforehand... similar constraints I guess. 

NEWS JUST IN:

Planet X wheel sale for the Jubilee! Fill yer boots! I've plumped for the Guru 50mm's at £399. Yes I know I'll have to get tyres on top of that, and a cassette to boot... but they're sexy and light and aero and I wanted them. 

Edited: 29/05/2012 at 22:44
TheEngineer    pirate
29/05/2012 at 23:25

So how do I change the tyres on tubulars? 

Bouncing Barlist    pirate
29/05/2012 at 23:32

Carry a pre-glued pre stretched spare, i.e. replace one of the tubs in the comfort of your home (when a bit more heaving/force is needed, and youve the time to fiddle about).  The glued tub youve taken off is therefore stretched and has glue on it, fold the spare glue to glue and it'll stay tacky.

Changing a pre-glued/stretched tub on the road isnt any harder than changing a tube, its easier once you get the hang of it as there's no checking for flints, bits of debrit as the tub is effectively the tyre as well.  Taking a tub off just needs a bit of effort but the knack is knowing you need to be a bit forcefull.  If you leave a non glued area 2-3 inches each side of the valve this give you a start and makes it a lot easier to remove the tub.

TheEngineer    pirate
29/05/2012 at 23:55

Cheers Barlos. I'll have to buy three tubes, then... any suggestions now I've blown my budget on wheels?! 

Dustboy    pirate
30/05/2012 at 00:02

Think I finally have sorted wheels for me and my shit style of riding. so..

7900 Shimano C24 Dura Ace clincher wheels plus Schwalbe Ultremo XD tyres plus Zipp Ti skewers plus Silicon Nitride ceramic bearings.  

Very sharp handling, very light (1300g), good rubber and roll for ages. 2mph gain on the Shimanos against my nice Easton Tempest II 30mm aero wheels 

TheEngineer    pirate
30/05/2012 at 00:07

Fancy another race then DB? 

Dustboy    pirate
30/05/2012 at 00:14

Love to ride with you again dude. 

11,521 to 11,540 of 11,980 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.