Numpty IM Bike Thread

Bike ponces only welcome if they don't speak in tongues

11,541 to 11,560 of 12,017 messages
Doner Kebab    pirate
30/04/2012 at 22:41
Cat - i dont know how true this is but did see/read/told a while ago that you shouldnt put carbon bikes on roof racks at motorways speeds, it can twist them???? or something - like i said dont know if its true or not. I use pipe lagging round my frame when using a rear bike carrier to protect it from the straps and bungees and road vibrations.
ChallengeGoGoGas    pirate
30/04/2012 at 22:50
Good tips on pipe lagging there DK!
cougie    pirate
01/05/2012 at 00:27
My bike has done plenty of motorway miles. If it can cope with fast alpine descents with riders on it - a bumble down the M6 isn't a problem ?

No frame will twist at motorway speeds in a bike rack.

The only thing you need to watch fr is crushing the tubes when you clamp the bike in.

Best bike carrier is off a tow bar - but failing that boot racksbre fine. Pipe lagging is a good idea.
Cheerful Dave    pirate
01/05/2012 at 06:25
Another option: borrow a roof box for all the other stuff that you're taking and put your bike where it belongs: in the car.
IronCat5    pirate
01/05/2012 at 08:05

Cunning CD. We have a roof box......I had already thought of that for Outlaw. I suppose I could take the wheels off.

Now to see if the kids fit in the roof box!

Cheers All.

01/05/2012 at 09:01
you could always ride down C5......

01/05/2012 at 15:06

Erm......

You know those 60mm clinchers I bought? Can't even get close to fitting a tyre onto them. Got everything else tickety-boo.... rim tape, new cassette, 80mm valve inners..... but I cannot for the life of me get a tyre on the bugger.

The tyre's a Conti GP Tri that I raced last summer before I put Hardshell's on for the winter, so it's a decent tyre, but it has been hanging up in the garage all winter. Do they shrink, or lose elasticity, by any chance?

I have some other tyres to choose from. Failing that, I buy plenty of kit from a couple of LBS so wouldn't feel too much of a charlatan popping down and asking them to have a look.

Any thoughts, chaps, please?

01/05/2012 at 15:21
I've had the same problem with Michelins on Campag rims.

Warm the tyre on a radiator or in the oven (be very careful if you use the oven!), use talc, or use vittorias or Schwalbes as they seem to be looser. People reckon thinner rim tape makes a surprising difference but I've always just persevered and eventually you get there - even if you have to scrap several inner tubes in the process !
01/05/2012 at 15:30
tyre can lose elasticity (rubber perishes) but not in that timescale and I've not heard of one shrinking. and some wheels can be a bugger to fit tyres on - my Campag Neutrons are always a battle with fresh tyres.

have you tried a tyre off another wheel that's you're using?? that should be "slack" enough to fit. that should tell you if the wheel is the correct diameter

alternatively, warm the Contis in very hot water or with a hair dryer (not too close!) as that should make the rubber more supple, and then try again.

and do all this without a tube in as you might need to lever the tyre on so no point damaging a tube. if you manage to get the tyre on, take it on and off another couple of times to stretch the beading a bit before sticking a tube in.

let us know how you get on

EDIT: x-post with pops
Edited: 01/05/2012 at 15:31
01/05/2012 at 20:13
Gents

I bought some new wheels last Friday, and the front one at least has arrived! (Shimano Dura Ace 7900 C24 CLs, since you ask)

Noob questions as its the first new wheels I have bought...

Do I need to DO anything to them to prep them for use? (oil / grease hubs / check spoke tension - how?!) etc?

Should I keep the plastic hub plugs that came with the wheel? They'll live in the wheel bag when not in use

Does the QR skewer need greasing at all?

Also, for when the back arrives, what tools do I need to get a new cassette on? (am thinking Shimano Ultegra 11-25 probably, have a 12-25 on current wheels)

All comments / suggestions gratefully received!

Thanks
Cheerful Dave    pirate
01/05/2012 at 20:49

They should be fine out of the box, although you might need to fit rim tape.  I sometimes wonder if the plastic covers might be handy for protection in transit but I've never used them.  To get a new cassette on you'll need a Shimano cassette tool to tighten the lockring and a big spanner.  You'll need a chain whip if you want to get it off again.  I may have a Shimano tool lying around but most of my wheels have Campag cassettes.  I think they're around a fiver on wiggle.

Nice wheels BTW!

01/05/2012 at 21:40
Actually hairdryer or hot water probably a better suggestion than the oven - you'd be amazed how quickly a tyre cooks !
02/05/2012 at 07:15

Hey Slower my Chinkzipps arrived yesterday too.... Bit of a bu**er to get on but the thumbs were up to it, plus a bit help from the levers, well a lot of help. Tyres are Vittoria Evo's mind you

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/134966/gallery/dsc01545.jpg?width=350&height=263&mode=max

09/05/2012 at 16:07

Looks very nice, Pebble. Slick!

I got mine on in the end after much huffing and puffing, two punctures in the rear tube (subsequently thrown away) and one in the front tube. I had to use levers too and even had to buy a bigger set of levers from the LBS because my little Lezyne ones were getting nowhere. And there's so little space in the clincher cavity, which meant that i managed to pinch the tube.

I mentioned the hassle to my LBS where one of the staff has bought some carbonzones and he said to use cheap rim tape (insulation tape even), rather than good stuff. I'd bought the nice thick Velox Fond De Jante stuff, which may have taken up too much space in the tiny cavity.

End result is that my bike looks utterly bitching, but i'm now petrified about what'll happen in a race if i get a flat, because i don't fancy 2 hours roadside snapping my fingernails if I pop one. Maybe I'll by some Evo's if they're the most flexi tyres, much as i love my Conti Tri's.

Doner Kebab    pirate
09/05/2012 at 16:13
Get another set and stretch them on spare wheels or alternate the 2 sets on them rims
IronCat5    pirate
09/05/2012 at 21:40

Are your tyres folding ones STIL?

10/05/2012 at 00:25

I have a set of conti 4000, I'll try them as well. I have fitted a pair of vittoria latex tubes as well, they feel so much better (I think)

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/134966/gallery/1134_dsc01554_1.jpg?width=350

IronCat5    pirate
13/05/2012 at 18:42

My 60mms arrived this week. Ultremos were fitted without the aid of lyre levers. Unfortunately the route I grabbed from Bikeley yesterday said on-road, whereas the actual route was through Berks' finest country lanes. Absolutey shocking road surfaces and some even had grass growing in the middle. I woke up this morning to a flat rear.

After various training and family duties I spent the remaining tinme in the sun patching innertubes (80mm valve tubes are not cheap!) and gluing cuts in tyres. I created a small pile of flints shards.

I have some Vittoria Zaffio tyres on my heavy winter wheels. I guess I need some decent training tyres to go on my 30mms now they're relegated to training. That said, the 60mm on the front was a little hairy on some of the winds yesterday. It could be down to the farm-gate/hedge-gap gusts. Either way, it was exciting.

Bike is kitted up with all the stuff I think I'll need for the bike day. It's resting against a bank at the roadside, not laid out in a field, honest!

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/553795/gallery/img-20120512-00270_sm.jpg?width=350

13/05/2012 at 23:21

How windy was it Cat - I was thinking of making an offer on a set of 58mms a mate is selling but I'd want them for bunch racing.

IronCat5    pirate
14/05/2012 at 08:39

Windy enough to notice the difference when cycling in to the wind/downwind.

Will you see any deep wheel benefits in a bunch?

11,541 to 11,560 of 12,017 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.