Numpty IM Bike Thread

Bike ponces only welcome if they don't speak in tongues

11,561 to 11,580 of 12,024 messages
14/05/2012 at 09:18

Honest answer is I'm not sure how much difference it makes when you are on a wheel - but when I'm sprinting clear of the field it should help.....actually yeah probably not worth me getting them then !    

IronCat5    pirate
20/05/2012 at 08:37

Popsider - windy Thursday was interesting. Yesterday was easy. Don't forget it's about how cool you look

On the flip side it appears I did 5hrs with a rear tyre hernia - a slice from last week that I tried to glue. How easy it it to patch tyres from the inside, or am I commited to buying a new tyre? I wish I'd bought some training tyres now. More expense. 

Now on to shorts - my Decathlon comfy bibs are too padded for the TT bike. My MoreMile shorts are too thin and the pad edge chafes. Good for about 2-3 hours. Any recommendations? More expense

21/05/2012 at 09:53

Cat5 - if the tyre split isn't too bad, use a tyre boot.  This sits between the tube and tyre wall and stops the tube bulging through.  I've run a tyre with one in for a couple of years and it was fine.  a tyre boot is basically a piece of plastic/material that is thin enough but solid enough to cover the hole - some tyre repair kits come with one in.  a piece of cut up squeezy toothpase tube makes quite a good one.

as for shorts, I find tri shorts the best for long rides even in a TT position

Rafiki    pirate
21/05/2012 at 10:10

HI, I'm after some advice:

I currently have a Fuji Aloha, which is all I can afford at the moment. But I'm looking to do Lanza next year, for which I may or may not be in a position to upgrade the bike. But If I can't afford to upgrade the entire bike, can you make any recommendation to upgrade any components??? Current bike spec:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/fuji/aloha-10-2011-triathlon-bike-ec024644#features

Thanks

21/05/2012 at 11:20

Hi, this might be the place to ask bike advice.

Looking for my first road bike, buying it through cycle-to-work scheme. Boyfriend has found this one from Evans. Is it any good? Probably not looking to upgrade for awhile and plan is to do sprint/od distances.

Pinnacle Evaporite One 2012 Road Bike

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/pinnacle/evaporite-one-2012-road-bike-ec032171?query=PINNACLE#features

thank you.

Edited: 21/05/2012 at 11:21
21/05/2012 at 13:50

Mikasa, the specs look alright on that Pinnacle, but if you're not the right shape and size for the geometry then it won't be any good.  Do you have an Evans local to you?

Rafikid- think you need to quiz Orange Cannon about his Lanza experience on his TT rig.  My first thought at looking at the spec is that it's (unsurprisingly) quite highly geared.  If you've got the leg strength to climb on a 39/25 then not a problem.

Rafiki    pirate
21/05/2012 at 14:05

Thanks FF - I intend to quiz OC on his return. I am fortunate when it comes to climbing in that I weigh bugger all, which makes hills easier - an advantage I annoyed a lot of people with at the Etape Caledonia the other weekend!

21/05/2012 at 14:54

Thanks FF. Yes, I have Evans near me. I will look at other bikes too and in the end, go by fit. I know it's all important.

21/05/2012 at 17:44

The head tube is quite long on that Pinnacle so not ideal if you plan to fit tri bars in the future.   Other than that it's probably OK - it'll be a generic cheap carbon frame badged up by Evans as a Pinnacle to get the price under a grand - which is OK but I wouldn't say carbon is necessarily better than aluminium at that price point.     In other words if you are sure you don't want to fit tri bars in future and it fits you OK as a road bike it's probably as good as anything else.

IronCat5    pirate
21/05/2012 at 19:14

Cheers FB. It's the whole worry again about throwing away the big day for the sake of a tyre.

Mikasa, are you somewhere near Brizzle? Pop down to Bike Science to see what they have - not too far from Evans.

VT'd    pirate
21/05/2012 at 19:28

Cat I have started wearing my 2xu long distance tri shorts for my long rides and used them throughout my HIM distance last week without needing to butter up.  I bought them after they were recommended by a few on here.

I find them far more comfortable than my thicker padded shorts, which cause me to keep shifting around on the bike, and the pad is well chamfered at the edges to stop/reduce chaffing.  I was thinking of changing to dry cycle shorts after the swim, but I think I might go the distance with these.

Blisters    pirate
26/05/2012 at 18:38

I rode with the tri group for the first time last week, and was out again this week.

Effectively I got bollocked for avoiding a pothole when on the inside of the 2x2 pack and causing a swerve. Am I just supposed to smash the bike up? As it was I got a pinch puncture 400 yards from home when I was on my own!

The group one riders are frankly crap at pointing out potholes.

28/05/2012 at 20:42

Can you bunny hop?

If you have time it can save your  tyre even if the effect is to only only weight the bike.

I'm not taking the mick either!

28/05/2012 at 21:46

I picked up some real good advice from folks on here when I bought my cheapo, carbon clinchers from ebay recently. Thought i'd report back, having ridden them a meaningful number of times.

I'm still a little freaked by how much hassle and effort it was to fit the innertubes, including multiple punctures, but the speed impact has been really meaningful. I think it's putting between 1 & 2 miles an hour on my average. I'm growing to expect to see 20+ mph whenever I look at the speedo, which i never used to. I'm not finding the handling especially hairy either.

So assuming I don't puncture, these could be the best £240 of tri budget I've spent!

VT'd    pirate
28/05/2012 at 21:55

I'm glad you reported back STIL as I have being trawling websites (bike shops) and wondering if I need them. 

I think I want an alloy braking surface but that's only going on gut instinct.  I looked at the PX website and they are cutting a decent deal on 50mm rims but they are all carbon I believe.  

I would like to upgrade my bike at the end of the summer, relegating my current bike to winter hack.  So if I spend wisely the wheels will transfer to, and enhance my newer (probably not brand new) bike.

Looking for a decent recommend on wheels for a budget of about £700 tops.  I'm prepared to go second hand for VFM.

IronCat5    pirate
28/05/2012 at 22:01

VT'd: PX do some carbon faired 50mm & 60mm wheels with alu brake tracks. Mine are on the previous page. That budget would get wheels, lots of tubes and some good tyres and a wheel bag.

For that kind of money you could get some Mavic Cosmics?

28/05/2012 at 22:03

The braking's not all that bad, mate. I've not ridden hard in the wet yet, but they're fine enough. Bit grabby when yank em really hard, but i feel safe so far. That said, i tend to feel safer than i ought to. 

If you're after an alloy rim, I saw somewhere today offering the 50mm Shimano aeros with the alloy rim. £595. I think it was a bike shop on ebay.

Bouncing Barlist    pirate
28/05/2012 at 22:22

Re braking on carbon rims, I had a nastly experience on a very long decent in Switzerland a few years ago, was a hot day and under heavy braking my standard rubber blocks were melting and shedding chunks.  Only just managed to slow the bike down enough to make a 90 degree bend at the bottom.

I since changed the pads to SwissStop (yellow) which are for carbon rims, theyre really good.

TheEngineer    pirate
29/05/2012 at 20:44

Pebble can I ask what you paid for the wheels? And where you got them from? And if they're worth it?! I'm looking at getting some... 

TheEngineer    pirate
29/05/2012 at 21:26

In fact if anyone can recommend cheap, aero and light then they're very welcome to speak up! I'll consider clincher, tubular, new, used, chinese, nigerian..... Would like to spend as little over £400 (all inc to put them on) as possible, but if tubular, I'd need to buy three tyres...

11,561 to 11,580 of 12,024 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.