Numpty IM Bike Thread

Bike ponces only welcome if they don't speak in tongues

11,601 to 11,620 of 12,017 messages
Iron Muffin    pirate
20/06/2012 at 11:50

Hmm. Will just sticking in on the back make me more aero and faster?

I am in serious danger of being "all the gear and no idea" if I have bling wheels.

20/06/2012 at 13:58

Hello

This isn't technically a tri bike question, but... does anyone know anything about folding bikes. I'm changing jobs and the most sensible way of commuting is 1mile ride to the station, 20mins on train, 1 mile ride t'other end. (much more civilised than mucking about with the M1.)

It's not going to be practical to lug my road bike on the train, over the station bridge etc. So I need a alternative. Are Bromptons really the bees knees or can I get away with some thing cheaper? Does anyone use one regularly and could offer some advice?

Ta

Dave The Ex- Spartan    pirate
20/06/2012 at 14:05
muffin top wrote (see)

Hmm. Will just sticking in on the back make me more aero and faster?

I am in serious danger of being "all the gear and no idea" if I have bling wheels.

I have a bling wettie, bling bike and no idea at all.. But then again I am a man

Iron Muffin    pirate
27/06/2012 at 15:26

Help!!!!

My lovely borrowed carbon clinchers are making a rattling sound. It is the front wheel as it goes when I put my old one back on. The noise is only there when I am on the bike (ie. weighted).

I have checked the obvious stuff (brakes, computer thingy, loose rubber).

Any ideas or advoec?

27/06/2012 at 15:30

have you checked the spokes to make sure they're all tight??   and what happens if you shake the wheel when it's not in the frame - any noises???  and if you grab the hub when it's out of the frame and rotate the wheel, does it make a noise??

27/06/2012 at 15:33

bearing ?

Iron Muffin    pirate
27/06/2012 at 16:09

Spokes all tight.
No noise when I shake it
No sound when its out of the frame.

27/06/2012 at 16:10

out of the frame and hold it by the skewer and shake it ?

(Think you should just buy a new pair of wheels)

Iron Muffin    pirate
27/06/2012 at 16:16
Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)

That makes it rattle. Now what?

(Theyr'e not even mine......slowthanilook bought some cheap chinese 60mm clinchesrs that I h\ve borrowed)

cougie    pirate
27/06/2012 at 16:24

Somethings loose in the rim ? Take off the tyre and see if you can get it to fall out through the valve hole ? 

Its not the innertube valve is it rattling ? put a wrap of tape round it before you put it back in ? 

27/06/2012 at 16:25

bearings....

Well pop over to Royles and buy yourself some nice expensive Zipps !!!

27/06/2012 at 16:27
muffin top wrote (see)
Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)

That makes it rattle. Now what?

that might just be the QR rattling - hold the hub ends without the QR in and then spin the wheel.  if it rattles, then it's likley to be bearing.  if not - follow Cougie's suggestions

27/06/2012 at 16:29

It wouldn't rattle tho when in the frame if it was just the QR would it ?

27/06/2012 at 16:31

it can do if it's not got the springs on - ah - another thought - has the QR got he springs on it??

cougie    pirate
27/06/2012 at 17:10

Er - are you wearing bracelets and bangles when shaking this wheel ?

Iron Muffin    pirate
27/06/2012 at 17:22

Took the tyre off, all clean. Tried the tape on valve as that was rattly.

But alas, the torturous noise is still there.

Is the QR the skewer  thingy. If so, yes it has 2 springs on (one at each end)

27/06/2012 at 17:26

OK - bring it along to Outlaw and there'll be enough of us "bike mechanics" there to take a look and see what the issue is.   I'll be on the campsite in the minibago - don't know where Cougs or DtS are staying.

the QR aka Quick Release is the skewer

Iron Muffin    pirate
27/06/2012 at 17:35

Thank you all.

I will also bring my normal wheels as I will go insane listenimg to the noise for 7 hours on Sunday.

On a positive note, I was impressed with my perfirmance on the tyre change

Cheerful Dave    pirate
27/06/2012 at 17:37

I've had deep wheels where the knocking was the valve extension tapping the edge of the hole every turn.  Difficult to find as it only happened when I was riding it.

Alybea wrote (see)

It's not going to be practical to lug my road bike on the train, over the station bridge etc. So I need a alternative. Are Bromptons really the bees knees or can I get away with some thing cheaper? Does anyone use one regularly and could offer some advice?

Ta

Bromptons fold to the smallest size and are the easiest to lug around when folded, especially if you're using a crowded train.  Cheaper ones such as Dahon are OK if you're not carrying it too far - I had one so it could go in a car boot.  Bromptons have little wheels on the rack to use when folded, others aren't so good.

Best bet is to get to a bike shop & pick them up & get an idea of the size & weight of the thing.   

27/06/2012 at 17:38
I'm camping Sadly I met with Muffin Top last night. But we was swimming not biking !
11,601 to 11,620 of 12,017 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.