Numpty IM Bike Thread

Bike ponces only welcome if they don't speak in tongues

11,661 to 11,680 of 12,024 messages
PSC    pirate
31/07/2012 at 08:13

unrelated to the above... I am thinking of converting my TT bike to a roadie by changing the bars and brakes/gear levers....  apart from the fact that I am amazed at how expensive some of the components are has anyone else done this?  My TT bike is (a) expensive, (b) fits but (c) is compromising a bad lower back at the moment as I am getting too agressive on the bars (ie back level with the road)!  The plan is that putting drops on it will bring the hand position closer to me (it's already on a very short stem) and therefore give me more options when climbing and more comfort when just cruising.  Thoughts from the experts...

IronCat5    pirate
31/07/2012 at 08:55

Could you get fitted for a slightly less extreme TT position by raising the front end. Plus whatever needs to be done with saddle height and position.

Component wise - FSA do some cheap alu bars and stems. Tape and cables are cheap; that just leaves the shifters. Try fleabay or Bikeradar classifieds. Good condition Ultegra and DA can go for less than £100 if you have time to find them.

31/07/2012 at 13:50

Osymetric chain rings, the ones used by several riders including Wiggins for quite some time now, are not eliptical. They are sort of egg shapped with the corners squared off. According to this pdf they can help you to reduce lactate production and therefore should allow you to get off your bike with fresher legs for the run. I have no personal experience with them though and the front derailleur faffage does look to be a bit of a pain.

31/07/2012 at 22:02
Well, I'm not even a bike numpty anymore - the shop I has ordered my bike from can no longer get the model in the size I need. So I'm now searching again for a cyclocross bike that will be nippy enough on the road and happy on canal paths / in mud and something that preferably has a 50t big cog rather than 46 or 48. Gutted!
Dustboy    pirate
31/07/2012 at 22:03

44 brings back memories of my first road bike a few years ago. I hadn't ridden in nearly 30 years and back then it was a Mal Rees gents 5 speeder.

Coach Bassos made the appropriate recommendations and I got fitted etc, went to pick the bike up from the LBS, it was on a turbo. I had absolutely no idea how to get on it. That look of utter incredulity on the LBS owners face! But do go clipless 44, it is the way forward, and at least you can tell us your clipless pedal incident tales from time to time.

PSC    pirate
02/08/2012 at 07:18
Thanks IRonCat. Hadn't thought of the second hand route for shifters. Can raise the bars as the tube thing was cut off when I purchased it.
Dustboy    pirate
03/08/2012 at 11:54

Spesh Tricross has a 50 front and it is a triple. Not cheap though at around a grand

03/08/2012 at 13:17
Cheers dustboy, I rang Evans on the off chance and it turns out that there was one left that was sitting in a shop somewhere. So I've ordered it again (the same one I.ordered in the first place), but trying not to get too excited incase it turns out to be another stock error..... Although the person I spoke to did double check that the bike existed before I ordered it so fingers crossed!!!
Dustboy    pirate
03/08/2012 at 16:51

So is that the Tricross you have ordered? I have the single speed version. Basically bulletproof but I do get a fair bit of toe slap on that version, don't think it applies on the geared one.

Handles nicely and got lovely shallow drops on which I much prefer, comfort wise and aesthetically. And of course, those bar top brakes which are orsum

03/08/2012 at 17:19
No, its the Norco ccx2 which can be found here:

http://m.evanscycles.com/products/norco/ccx-2-triple-2012-cyclocross-bike-ec031685

Just hope it arrives!
IronCat5    pirate
03/08/2012 at 17:40

The toe overlap caught me out when I tried the SS Dustboy*. I guess once your moving properly it is not such an issue, rather than wobbling around a car park on a bike 17ft too big.

Just back from a quick spin around the woods on my home-made fixie MTB. Suicide hub with plenty of locktite 290. Corners were interesting, certainly makes you think!

*Turning circle 15 Nautical miles.

Dustboy    pirate
03/08/2012 at 19:01

You got it around in 15? Bloody hell, takes me twice that! 

Fixie cornering on MTB LOL

07/08/2012 at 19:22
This is so stupid, i am hitting my own head in amazement I am even typing.

I am considering buying a tt bike, my first, for next seasons races. The ones i am considering are entry level such as...

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/bbd/triathlon-bike/Ribble-Ultra-Carbon-TT?part=BB12RIBULTRATT&sub=conf_BBTTC&bike=1

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/FBPXSTTTB/planet_x_stealth_rival_time_trial_bike_2013

Now, i kmow these have gear levers at the end of the aero extensions, but do the brake levers also allow you to change gear like a typical road bike? It seems a little restrictive if not
Rafiki    pirate
07/08/2012 at 20:02

Stanners - generally not, Gear change on aeros, brakes on cow horns. Takes a bit of getting used to - you have to be ready to change position off the aeros to hit the brakes 2 seconds before things go wrong! But its not that hard.

I've heard of poeple having the brake levers modified to control the gears as well - but cant see how you could have the gears on the aeros too - which is where you really need them!

WildWill    pirate
07/08/2012 at 20:14
DI2's would allow 2 sets of shifters .... But cost an arm & a leg
07/08/2012 at 22:23
Well, bike arrived today and has been collected, took it for a 9mile amble through woodland and down the canal with about 4miles on road. It'd brilliant off road and really responsive and as fast as I would want on road. Very happy!!

Most ridiculous question of the century..... What's the best way to clean and maintain it - what products do people use and how often? Does anyone know of any good books or websites about maintenance and basic checks (which to do and how to do them) etc?
08/08/2012 at 12:15

I used to use muc off but it's too expensive. It does smell gorgeous though. I now use Fenwicks FS-1 diluted 1:10. Used neat it is a degreaser. Doesn't smell anywhere near as nice. i think Muc Off does work better but it's a bit of a rip off.

I bought a park tools chain cleaner http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/chain-cleaning-cm-5. This makes cleaning the chain after an off road ride very quick and easy. I just fill it up with the cheapest lemon cleaner i can find in Tesco (Daisy brand) and spin the pedals round. With my MTB I try to clean the chain even if i clean nothing else. 

After that it's a small tiny drop of oil on the inside of the chain at ever roller. Spin the chain a few times in various gears. Wipe off the excess oil.

Congratulations on your new ride!

Edited: 08/08/2012 at 12:15
08/08/2012 at 15:17
Thanks!! Will get some cleaning gear bought.

I really could do with somewhere / someone to teach me some basic maintenance / mechanics, does anywhere do classes that anyone knows of?
Edited: 08/08/2012 at 15:17
08/08/2012 at 15:19

I cant vouch for the quality of these (i am a total newbie) but evans run these: 

http://www.evanscycles.com/search?query=fix+it&x=0&y=0

Also there is tonnes of stuff on the web. Google Sheldon Brown - he has a ton of great info on how to do stuff. You tube is a good source of info too.

08/08/2012 at 22:32
Thanks again...... Been looking at a garmin 305 quick release kit..... Anyone got any experience of them?
11,661 to 11,680 of 12,024 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.