Numpty IM Bike Thread

Bike ponces only welcome if they don't speak in tongues

11,721 to 11,740 of 11,978 messages
Iron Muffin    pirate
17/12/2012 at 16:46

To match my bike and make it go faster

Thanks for the advice. I have held off on a purchase just in case they arrive in my crimbo stocking. It would not surprise me if Mr Muffin (slower) buys me some that he really wants for himself.

18/12/2012 at 12:37

I've been looking at the Felt DA4 bike as a Christmas treat for me ...   However, while I was in the bike shop there was a Felt DA1 bike reduced to half price, the owner of the bike shop had used it for Ironman UK and then that was it. The size is ok but the issue was with the electric gears, I have heard mixed reports about these.  Please can you advise? 

Thanks

18/12/2012 at 13:19

electronic gear sets are becoming more commonplace as their reliability improves and current ones from Shimano and Campag - and soon to be SRAM - are fine.  they're used extensively by pro riders and teams.

obviously you need to make sure you keep the battery pack charged - no point finding that 50miles from home and you don't have any gears - but other than that, they're fine.

all gearing systems will have problems from time to time - it's knowing what to do when it does happen that's perhaps the key.  

18/12/2012 at 13:22

Thanks FB, I appreciate your advice - less biased and more open than I'll get at any shop.

18/12/2012 at 13:29

we managed for a very long time with manual gears and no doubt many will continue to shun electronic.  but they have come on enormously in recent years and those who have switched will tell you that they're much easier to use and are more precise with each change.  but you still need to look after them to get the best performance.

I'm lusting after a Campag Super Record EPS set but frankly can't justify the expense - yet!

the entry price is coming down all the time - in about 10 years, most new bikes will be equipped with them I reckon.

18/12/2012 at 13:33

Thanks again FB - I'll certainly look after them, it's knowing how to which is the hard part for me.

The deal is really good, but you're right, I couldn't justify the full £6000 for the bike new.

cougie    pirate
18/12/2012 at 15:31

The owner has taken a hell of a hit to use a bike on just one race. 

I'm not convinced by electronic shifting for most of us.  I've never snapped a cable in 30 years of cycling - and my shifters haven't let me down.  OK so its a microsecond faster than manual shifting and the autotrim function is nice - but is it a thousand pounds nice ?  Better things to do with the money.  And I've heard of a few sets dying or shorting out on a ride - if that happens just once in the sets life then its worse than its mechanical equivalent. 

18/12/2012 at 15:42

Fair point cougie - the last thing I want is for the gears to go, especially in Lanza

The person selling the bike has more money than sense - she's decided Ironman isn't for her!!

I think I'll stick to the DA4 - less money and potentially safer.

Thanks to all for the advice

18/12/2012 at 16:06

I'd still go with the electronic shifters if the deal is good despite what my esteemed friend Cougs says.

and if you don't like them, you'd probably get a very good deal selling them on and putting manual shifters on.  I suspect they're Dura-Ace Di2s so at the top end of the market and on a top end frame that will still be there.  think the long game and potential returns on the investment!

18/12/2012 at 16:18

I'm going to have to think about this - the bottom line isn't really the finance, it's more that I'm not technically minded and don't want any major issues in events.  Charging up a battery is fine but if it involves more than this, I may be struggling.

Thanks again.

Mr StOat    pirate
21/12/2012 at 21:46

I had heqard a couple of people say they had the elctronic shifting 'die' on them whilst riding, but iirc its a safety issue (certainly on Di2) after a knock, like hitting a big pot hole. It saves teh derailleur from damage and is easily reset

22/12/2012 at 15:15

Aero/TT bars?  Peoples views on worth using, cheap or expensive, are they hard to use/get used to?  Difference to speed for same effort?

22/12/2012 at 22:50

Definitely worth fitting.   They can be very cheap.   Pretty easy to get used to if you are a reasonable bike handler - if you are new to cycling might take a bit of time.   You do need to play about with your position though - you'd normally want to lower the bars a bit and maybe push the saddle forwards - get a bit of weight on the tri bars.

Scuba Trooper    pirate
31/12/2012 at 14:38

Numpty questions about on bike spare/kit

I need to get a pump to carry on my bike, do i need one with a gauge and if so why? Are the CO2 inflators worth while?

What other spares and tools shoud I  be carrying on long rides (2-5hrs)?

IronCat5    pirate
31/12/2012 at 14:47

For long rides and the IM I carried multitool, mini-pump, 2 innertubes, park tool levers (very good) and a patch kit.

My pump is a pocket rocket, no gauge. My tyres are folding types and the wheels work just so that I can deflate a tyre and it falls off the rim, so levers not really needed. I have a CO2 inflator now for 'get home' on shorter races.

Scuba Trooper    pirate
31/12/2012 at 15:01

Thanks IronCat.

I'm thinking of getting a inflator and mini pump in one so should cover all bases. Do you just pump until hard and forget about the gauge?

31/12/2012 at 22:47

With a mini pump it'll be a case of get the tyre as hard as you have patience for - to be fair some of them are much better than the mini pumps of a few years ago but you wont have a problem over inflating - 100-110 psi will be about the limit even with a good one - in reality out on the road you'll probably get the tyre to about 90 and think good enough.   

Scuba Trooper    pirate
01/01/2013 at 14:34

Popsider/IronCat - I bought a CO2 inflator with pump from halfords yesterday evening, think i'd use the pump then the CO2 to get it hard.

IronCat - interested in these folding tyres, how does that work?

02/01/2013 at 08:55
Scuba Trooper wrote (see)

Popsider/IronCat - I bought a CO2 inflator with pump from halfords yesterday evening, think i'd use the pump then the CO2 to get it hard.

IronCat - interested in these folding tyres, how does that work?

a CO2 cylinder will get the tyre inflated much more than you will get with a mini-pump.  so use the CO2 and keep the pump as backup to that if things don't work with the CO2 or you run out of cylinders.

I think Cat5's tyres must be loose fitting - I've never had folding tyres that "fall off" when the tube is deflated.  some are easy to finger push over the rims, others are pains and I need to use a lever.

and folding tyres means they are supplied folded because they have flexible but strong kevlar beads as opposed to steel ones which aren't flexible enough to fold.

BWT
02/01/2013 at 22:29

Really stupid question but where would it be most aerodynamic to mount a bike pump on a frame?

I know it is a daft question as in a race I will use C02 but just general cycling seemed a good idea to put a pump on... 

I was thinking that mounting on the up tube behind the water bottle would be better than on the front of the frame...  I doubt it makes any really difference as my huge bulk will cancel out any theoretical gains.

11,721 to 11,740 of 11,978 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.