Numpty IM Bike Thread

Bike ponces only welcome if they don't speak in tongues

11,801 to 11,820 of 11,978 messages
cougie    pirate
03/06/2013 at 09:26
I've seen those new from pX for 999. Last year I think.
Don't go mad on it. Red v force is v little difference. That you'd notice anyway.
Cheerful Dave    pirate
03/06/2013 at 09:27

It's just closed, did you get it?  It did look a bit of a bargain, assuming that a PX small fits you.

PSC    pirate
03/06/2013 at 13:54

£735 bid and I won, it's mine.... pick it up on Sunday.  Cougs, The £999 ones weren't the SRAM Reds, that was an upgrade the spec on purchase.  Everything else is standard so it's probably about £1400 new.  Sounds like a deal to me!  I need to check whether its best to pay now by paypal and then rely on fleabay purchase protection, or take cash with me and rely on instinct to make sure I am not buying something that's been nicked!  Any thoughts?

cougie    pirate
03/06/2013 at 14:03
Excellent work - you'll enjoy riding that !

They did a SRAM Red levers bike last year for ??999. Not sure how much of the gruppo was Red - but the finishing kit was :

"The fantastic Shimano R501 C30 wheels are fitted with classic Vittoria Zaffiro Slick tyres. Bar and stem are more classics from 3ttt, with a 4GX stem and 3ttt Palma bars. Saddle is a genuine Selle Italia Q Bik saddle"
PSC    pirate
03/06/2013 at 19:04

Oh bugger, just checked the shed - I need to sell something now!  But good news, my old Orbea LaRue which cost be £350 6 years ago (first entry level roadie) could still be worth about £180 - there is one on ebay now at that amount!    Unless anyone on here wants to buy a well and truely shagged but cheap Orbea for lots of money.  It's had a good home, been serviced every 6 months and only been ridden in the dry!!

PSC    pirate
03/06/2013 at 22:11

Cheers TJ... 

PSC wrote (see)

It's had a good home, been serviced every 6 months and only been ridden in the dry!!

I wasn't serious about the last bit in case anyone was taken in by my uber smooth sales pitch.

09/06/2013 at 19:34

Soooo FB reccommended the strada double wireless bike computer. There is one for sale with this as part of the description:

"The cadence magnet, the one that fits to your pedal arm has seen better days but still works well with the computer."

I know this is really back of the envelope stuff but for this used bike comp what would people pay (new is 70)?

Rest of description is fine.

I haven't owned a bike computer before and having done lots of research I decided on this model. I just don't know if the cadence magnet has a long shelf life or if it's showing signs of wear willl probably die soon. Or if second hand bike comps are a bad idea?

WhizKid    pirate
09/06/2013 at 19:41

Should be no reason why the sensor if working should stop as it has no actual moving parts, it's just a sender and reciever unit... By the sounds of it old mate has probably crashed with it on or something, also I assume you don't have a garmin 310 or 910 as I use my garmin as my main computer and the bike just has a basic 30 quid job which tells me time speed distance avg speed etc essential stuff.... Try maybe buy a second hand garmin is where I'm going with this as for a bit more cash you get something a lot more useful...310's are going cheap nowadays!

09/06/2013 at 19:47

Thanks - more research required 

Cheerful Dave    pirate
10/06/2013 at 09:38

If it was me I'd buy the wired version new rather than the wireless on second hand.  A bit more faff to set up on the bike but once it's there less to go wrong, and fewer batteries to worry about.

cougie    pirate
10/06/2013 at 09:52
I don't bother with bike computers now. I just use a smart phone in the back pocket. Less distractions and you can use strava.
10/06/2013 at 10:15

CD -  we have 2 Strada double wireless setups and they work fine - as good as wired frankly and no less faff. sure batteries need replacing but that's a minor issue.  if I have one complaint it's that the head unit does rattle a bit in the stem clamp which can irritate at times.

as for 2nd hand, I wouldn't pay more than £20 but depending on condition.

one of the main reasons for using the double wireless is having speed and cadence coming from the rear wheel - so you keep that facility when using on the turbo.

Cheerful Dave    pirate
10/06/2013 at 11:00

You're right about the back wheel FB, definitely a plus.  I've had a few issues with computers in the past when changing wheels or getting a bike out that hasn't been used all winter where I'm forever fettling with the magnet to get a decent pick up, and with wired at least you know it's the magnet position that's wrong and not the wireless transmitter.  Once they're going there's no real difference I agree.

When the strada first came out I had one computer between several bikes as a second mounting kit was dirt cheap, especially if you weren't bothered about cadence on the second bike as the basic mount worked with the cadence head unit too.  Doing that with a wireless one was a lot more expensive, although it'd be cheaper these days.

My only complaint about those early stradas was that they made it very difficult to change the head unit battery - they used the smallest of screws done up ridiculously tightly.

10/06/2013 at 11:10

thinking back I have had one head unit go tits up on me completely which was a pain as the only way to sort it was to buy a complete new system - Cateye don't sell the head unit on it's own.  but I guess that can happen with any computer, not just wireless.

10/06/2013 at 21:15

Does anyone know any good routes in the London area, Richmond Park is an obvious one but struggling to think of any near Islington area. Any suggestions would be ideal, thanks

11/06/2013 at 09:04

PD - I'd knock that question up as a separate thread as it's going to get more views than buried in here which is mainly about bike tech, not routes

11/06/2013 at 12:59

FB: I went for the new strada. Wanted cadence and to use on turbo and sadly not got any more money spare for fancy garmin esk things 

Razor51    pirate
11/06/2013 at 18:27

If you want a really cheap computer with speed and cadence tesco are doing a 17 function one for £15 . I bought one for the turbo but tried it out on the road bike first and it did what it said on the tin without any problems. I think they are only in the Tesco extra stores.

Mr StOat    pirate
14/06/2013 at 09:46

At the end of rides recently I've been getting an ache / pain right in between my shoulders. Any ideas what it could be and what I could try / change to ease it. Not looking forward to a marathon with back ache

14/06/2013 at 10:41

Can be lifting your head too much with a too low stem, is it something that has only just started happening? 

11,801 to 11,820 of 11,978 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.