Numpty IM Bike Thread

Bike ponces only welcome if they don't speak in tongues

11,841 to 11,860 of 12,024 messages
08/04/2013 at 18:53
fat buddha wrote (see)

and one other thing when putting a chain back on - get a piece of wire (an old coat hanger is good) about 10cm long and bend the ends down so they fit inside a link at either end and use that to hold the chain together while you're rejoining it, otherwise you'll frustrate yourself fighting against the deraileur spring tension!  make sure you leave enough links free so you can fiddle about with the rejoining.  believe me that bit of wire will be your chain friend for life for zero cost!!!

Good tip but I would make sure the chain is threaded around the chainstay and rear mech correctly but instead of tensioning it around the front chain wheels leave the chain loose. Refit the link and then thread it back over the chain wheels.

Scuba Trooper    pirate
08/04/2013 at 18:57

God I need so much help, with my compact set up do i need a 114 or 116 link chain.

WhizKid    pirate
08/04/2013 at 19:05
Doesn't really matter a 10 spd should be fine... You can take your old one off and literally count the links in it.... You will take a crap load of links off anyway....

And Buddha is correct about the wire it works a treat!
09/04/2013 at 09:21

"FB - It was a normal link that went. Is there an advantage in using a power link when I connect the new chain or use a pin?"

I always use a powerlink, both on new chains and in case of an emergency (carry on in my saddlepack) simply as it make future removaland repair a damn sight easier than having to fiddle around with pins and chainbreakers.   chains have a special pin that should be the one you use for connecting and removing chains, but can you find the bugger when the chain's all cacked up?? no.  so a powerlink takes away that problem.

"Good tip but I would make sure the chain is threaded around the chainstay and rear mech correctly but instead of tensioning it around the front chain wheels leave the chain loose. Refit the link and then thread it back over the chain wheels."

yep - that 's another easy way to do it, and you can use a wire then as well, as just having something to pull the ends together makes life a whole load easier!  in the wild, I've evan used a stick and some plaited grass to do the same thing.

09/04/2013 at 09:24

also 

"I'm going to go with 12-25 unless someone can give me a good reason to go for a 11 or 23 instead, I'm not going to be at the pointy end of thing and hope to finish 12:30-14:00hrs."

you should be fine with a 12-25 (that's standard for a compact) but for more comfort when you get tired, you might want to consider a 12-27.

09/04/2013 at 10:25

I've got a compact and 12-27 but it is specifically a hill climbing set up.  It's hilly round here!

PSC    pirate
03/06/2013 at 07:49

Hi all you experts...

question on value  - there is a PlanetX Pro Carbon bike on fleabay with SRAM Red gear on it currently sitting at about £700.  18 bids already and closes soon.  I am seriously tempted as it looks like it is in great condition.  I don't know how old it is?  Is that important?  And at what price would this start to sound expensive - already/£750/£800.....

IronCat5    pirate
03/06/2013 at 08:19

Depends how much of the Red is Red.  You may find the chainset and front mech aren't. Sometimes you can pick one up new one up for 900 to a grand. 

TheEngineer    pirate
03/06/2013 at 09:04

A grand gets you SRAM Rival new. I'd say that's a fair price to pay for 2nd hand with a bit of an upgrade. (Provided it isn't trashed )

PSC    pirate
03/06/2013 at 09:21

thanks guys... I've raised the bidding a bit, but dont want to go above 750.

cougie    pirate
03/06/2013 at 09:26
I've seen those new from pX for 999. Last year I think.
Don't go mad on it. Red v force is v little difference. That you'd notice anyway.
Cheerful Dave    pirate
03/06/2013 at 09:27

It's just closed, did you get it?  It did look a bit of a bargain, assuming that a PX small fits you.

PSC    pirate
03/06/2013 at 13:54

£735 bid and I won, it's mine.... pick it up on Sunday.  Cougs, The £999 ones weren't the SRAM Reds, that was an upgrade the spec on purchase.  Everything else is standard so it's probably about £1400 new.  Sounds like a deal to me!  I need to check whether its best to pay now by paypal and then rely on fleabay purchase protection, or take cash with me and rely on instinct to make sure I am not buying something that's been nicked!  Any thoughts?

cougie    pirate
03/06/2013 at 14:03
Excellent work - you'll enjoy riding that !

They did a SRAM Red levers bike last year for ??999. Not sure how much of the gruppo was Red - but the finishing kit was :

"The fantastic Shimano R501 C30 wheels are fitted with classic Vittoria Zaffiro Slick tyres. Bar and stem are more classics from 3ttt, with a 4GX stem and 3ttt Palma bars. Saddle is a genuine Selle Italia Q Bik saddle"
PSC    pirate
03/06/2013 at 19:04

Oh bugger, just checked the shed - I need to sell something now!  But good news, my old Orbea LaRue which cost be £350 6 years ago (first entry level roadie) could still be worth about £180 - there is one on ebay now at that amount!    Unless anyone on here wants to buy a well and truely shagged but cheap Orbea for lots of money.  It's had a good home, been serviced every 6 months and only been ridden in the dry!!

PSC    pirate
03/06/2013 at 22:11

Cheers TJ... 

PSC wrote (see)

It's had a good home, been serviced every 6 months and only been ridden in the dry!!

I wasn't serious about the last bit in case anyone was taken in by my uber smooth sales pitch.

09/06/2013 at 19:34

Soooo FB reccommended the strada double wireless bike computer. There is one for sale with this as part of the description:

"The cadence magnet, the one that fits to your pedal arm has seen better days but still works well with the computer."

I know this is really back of the envelope stuff but for this used bike comp what would people pay (new is 70)?

Rest of description is fine.

I haven't owned a bike computer before and having done lots of research I decided on this model. I just don't know if the cadence magnet has a long shelf life or if it's showing signs of wear willl probably die soon. Or if second hand bike comps are a bad idea?

WhizKid    pirate
09/06/2013 at 19:41

Should be no reason why the sensor if working should stop as it has no actual moving parts, it's just a sender and reciever unit... By the sounds of it old mate has probably crashed with it on or something, also I assume you don't have a garmin 310 or 910 as I use my garmin as my main computer and the bike just has a basic 30 quid job which tells me time speed distance avg speed etc essential stuff.... Try maybe buy a second hand garmin is where I'm going with this as for a bit more cash you get something a lot more useful...310's are going cheap nowadays!

09/06/2013 at 19:47

Thanks - more research required 

Cheerful Dave    pirate
10/06/2013 at 09:38

If it was me I'd buy the wired version new rather than the wireless on second hand.  A bit more faff to set up on the bike but once it's there less to go wrong, and fewer batteries to worry about.

11,841 to 11,860 of 12,024 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.