Numpty IM Bike Thread

Bike ponces only welcome if they don't speak in tongues

11,861 to 11,880 of 11,991 messages
Rafiki    pirate
25/07/2013 at 19:47

Its got a flipflop hub, so I can set it with a freewheeling hub. There's the odd up-flat - but there's a bet involving a couple of pints, so it should be worth it!!

BluePeter    pirate
26/07/2013 at 08:18

Thought i'd test out my new co2 pump on my trainer bike last night...the result... i now need a new wheel

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/725108/gallery/wheel.jpg?width=350

BWT
26/07/2013 at 18:34

Bike Numpty Question... 

Wife is tempted to try a sprint tri in September...  Currently she has a 3 speed shopper bike - which seems to be made of heavy duty steel lead lined suspension...  tyres made of iron...  ie it weighs the best part of a tonne!!!  And has a basket and pannier fixed on!

I was wondering round Halfords and Decathlon I saw some reasonable priced road bikes  they seemed a better idea of riding one of them than dragging her ...  are the geometries now all for men or is their a women's range or would she happily manage on a small mens frame?  Just feel that it might be a slightly better option on a 15mile cycle trip.

26/07/2013 at 20:11

Some makes have a specific woman's range, boardman do but not sure at what point they start in the range. Probably be fine on a mens frame of the right size for the time being, until she gets hooked and upgrades 

The Decathlon B'twin triban 3 gets great reviews and has a spec hard to match for the price. 

BWT
26/07/2013 at 23:19

Rocco that is the one I was think of for her indoors

27/07/2013 at 09:24

My wife has the triban 3, its a great bike I bought the triban 5 earlier in the year but I can't see much difference between them apart from £200, we've upgraded the wheels to shimano's but kept the old ones for the turbo. Highly recommended bikes

BWT
27/07/2013 at 14:01
27/07/2013 at 18:07

At that price range there's never much in it, the Decathlon bikes have carbon forks that supposedly take some shock out of the road, the best thing to do is try them and see which one fits you best, it doesn't matter so much about price and spec as long as it comfy for you and easy to operate

28/07/2013 at 09:14

I would go for the Decathlon as it carbon carbon fork rather than steel, is slightly lighter and has 8 speed rather than 7. Te only main difference I can see is that the decathlon has a triple where as the halfords hike has a compact double. That would just come down to personal preference though. 

Mr StOat    pirate
28/07/2013 at 14:29

I have a Scott CR1 Pro as my best bike. Recently it's developed a click. 

every time the left crank goes over the top and gets to about 11 o'clock (looking from the left) it gives a single click. 

Could this be time for a new bb? It's 2011 model, so I've had it over a year. 

Anytging else it might be? I'd say its crab related. Only ticks in time with the crank, wheel speed or gear makes no difference, it's cadence related

ta

29/07/2013 at 10:23

I wouldn't have thought that the BB would need replacing after a year but it's worth a check.

and does it happen in the same spot when in each chainring or only click on one?? if it's just one, then you might have a chainring tooth that is slightly out of true

the problem with clicks is that they can be buggers to track down so what you may be hearing is coming from somewhere other than the BB/chainring area - seatposts are notorious for producing noises that seem to come form elsewhere.

and does it click when you aren't sat on it??  maybe it's a bit of shoe rubbing somewhere if it only happens when you are cycling

just some ideas

Cheerful Dave    pirate
30/07/2013 at 10:19
JPGoodboy wrote (see)

My wife has the triban 3, its a great bike I bought the triban 5 earlier in the year but I can't see much difference between them apart from £200, we've upgraded the wheels to shimano's but kept the old ones for the turbo. Highly recommended bikes

Seconded (or thirded?).  The smaller sizes have 650c wheels - we got a triban 3 for junior earlier this year and for the money there's nothing close.

Cheerful Dave    pirate
30/07/2013 at 10:31
Stoatally Different wrote (see)

I have a Scott CR1 Pro as my best bike. Recently it's developed a click. 

every time the left crank goes over the top and gets to about 11 o'clock (looking from the left) it gives a single click. 

Could this be time for a new bb? It's 2011 model, so I've had it over a year. 

Anytging else it might be? I'd say its crab related. Only ticks in time with the crank, wheel speed or gear makes no difference, it's cadence related

ta

Check everything is tight - less obvious ones that have caused clicking noises for me in the past are the pre-tensioning nut at the end of the left crank and the chainring bolts.

30/07/2013 at 12:21

Annoying clicks I've had in the past include:

• Stone lodged in the pedal cleat
  • Chain Link stuck or seized
  • seatpin loose
  • BB bearings knackered
  • Pedal loose
  • crank fixing bolt loose
  • Crank Spider Lockring loose (on the side of the road in Lanzarote)
  • Rear gear jockey wheel full of dirt

Basically make sure everything that should be tight is tight, everything that should be free and lubed is free and lubed, everything is clean and grease free and that the clicking really is coming from the area you think it is.

A really helpful tip I only learned this year - the chain goes round roughly twice for every crank rotation.  So if the noise only occurs every other crank rotation, it's probably something wrong with a chainlink (either seized, bent or broken)

30/07/2013 at 12:25

good list there TG - and one other I've seen in the past - a loose chainring bolt....

what you don't want to happen is the lockring going awol - had that on the MTB in Spain, and no idea why it came off - as the crank then tends to come off completely........

cougie    pirate
30/07/2013 at 13:32
Silliest clicks for me were - crank catching on a misaligned front mach and a frame pump snagging the other crank.
Cheerful Dave    pirate
30/07/2013 at 13:47
fat buddha wrote (see)

good list there TG - and one other I've seen in the past - a loose chainring bolt....

Hey, I said that already!  I only noticed it was working loose when I went to shift to the small ring and the chain simply fell into the now wider gap between them.

Crank catching on the cadence sensor was another one.

31/07/2013 at 17:58

Advice please, got my hybrid out after 2 years in the garage, tyres, brakes, chain etc all good, but realise that I now need to alter the saddle. But its stuck...what should I use to free the hex bolt so I can raise the saddle?

01/08/2013 at 11:36

a good shot of WD40 or some other similar penetrating oil.  let it soak in for 10 mins and then see if the bolt loosens.   what you don't want to happen is forcing it so hard that you strip the bolt head as then you might have to drill it out.

if in doubt, get the local bike shop to sort it - they'll have a lot more experience with these things so will know what tricks to use

and in the future - a) don't leave the bike unused for 2 years, b) use an anti-binding compound on the bolt thread to prevent it siezing, and c) don't over-tighten

01/08/2013 at 22:26

Thanks FB,

in the end a shot of WD40 then Mr Steady used his superior strength and it shifted.

a) will hopefully not re-occur, I aim to do a bit of commuting with it.

b) and c) noted.

11,861 to 11,880 of 11,991 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.