Numpty IM Bike Thread

Bike ponces only welcome if they don't speak in tongues

11,861 to 11,880 of 12,024 messages
cougie    pirate
10/06/2013 at 09:52
I don't bother with bike computers now. I just use a smart phone in the back pocket. Less distractions and you can use strava.
10/06/2013 at 10:15

CD -  we have 2 Strada double wireless setups and they work fine - as good as wired frankly and no less faff. sure batteries need replacing but that's a minor issue.  if I have one complaint it's that the head unit does rattle a bit in the stem clamp which can irritate at times.

as for 2nd hand, I wouldn't pay more than £20 but depending on condition.

one of the main reasons for using the double wireless is having speed and cadence coming from the rear wheel - so you keep that facility when using on the turbo.

Cheerful Dave    pirate
10/06/2013 at 11:00

You're right about the back wheel FB, definitely a plus.  I've had a few issues with computers in the past when changing wheels or getting a bike out that hasn't been used all winter where I'm forever fettling with the magnet to get a decent pick up, and with wired at least you know it's the magnet position that's wrong and not the wireless transmitter.  Once they're going there's no real difference I agree.

When the strada first came out I had one computer between several bikes as a second mounting kit was dirt cheap, especially if you weren't bothered about cadence on the second bike as the basic mount worked with the cadence head unit too.  Doing that with a wireless one was a lot more expensive, although it'd be cheaper these days.

My only complaint about those early stradas was that they made it very difficult to change the head unit battery - they used the smallest of screws done up ridiculously tightly.

10/06/2013 at 11:10

thinking back I have had one head unit go tits up on me completely which was a pain as the only way to sort it was to buy a complete new system - Cateye don't sell the head unit on it's own.  but I guess that can happen with any computer, not just wireless.

10/06/2013 at 21:15

Does anyone know any good routes in the London area, Richmond Park is an obvious one but struggling to think of any near Islington area. Any suggestions would be ideal, thanks

11/06/2013 at 09:04

PD - I'd knock that question up as a separate thread as it's going to get more views than buried in here which is mainly about bike tech, not routes

11/06/2013 at 12:59

FB: I went for the new strada. Wanted cadence and to use on turbo and sadly not got any more money spare for fancy garmin esk things 

Razor51    pirate
11/06/2013 at 18:27

If you want a really cheap computer with speed and cadence tesco are doing a 17 function one for £15 . I bought one for the turbo but tried it out on the road bike first and it did what it said on the tin without any problems. I think they are only in the Tesco extra stores.

Mr StOat    pirate
14/06/2013 at 09:46

At the end of rides recently I've been getting an ache / pain right in between my shoulders. Any ideas what it could be and what I could try / change to ease it. Not looking forward to a marathon with back ache

14/06/2013 at 10:41

Can be lifting your head too much with a too low stem, is it something that has only just started happening? 

Mr StOat    pirate
14/06/2013 at 11:25

Yes, its been fine up until the last couple of rides, which is weird

TheEngineer    pirate
14/06/2013 at 11:43
7755matt wrote (see)

At the end of rides recently I've been getting an ache / pain right in between my shoulders. Any ideas what it could be and what I could try / change to ease it. Not looking forward to a marathon with back ache

Cycling is cheating, anyway.

Serious note - as gazhilla said maybe you are too low at the front. This doesn't necessarily mean the pain is coming from looking up, but that you're putting too much of your weight through the bars and consequently tightening up your back. MAy be worth moving up a couple of spacers or flipping the stem?

(Caveat - I'm no bike fitter!) 

14/06/2013 at 11:52

Strange if nothing has changed, have you upped distance and its maybe showing up a fitting issue? 

14/06/2013 at 14:22

matt - are you using tr-bars at the mo??? if so that could be just down to conditioning.

otherwise - may just be a transient issue

Mr StOat    pirate
14/06/2013 at 18:15

I have clip ons, but they havent caused an issue, the last two rides I haven't had them on. Im hoping its just a transient issue. Will go for another spin tomorrow and see how it all feels, will try without clip ons and then with

As for the TT bike position, that needs sorting as it cripples me!

Edited: 14/06/2013 at 18:16
22/06/2013 at 14:47

Oh the shame! Just found a picture of myself from the Windsor Triathlon (didn't take part but the photographer must have been bored) when I cycled past. 

There is a sequence of about 5 pictures and on two of them my left crank is at about 30 degress to the vertical and the leg is coming back up. I'm pointing my toe in the most ridiculous fashion. Sadly there are no shots of the right leg. 

My thoughts:

Saddle could be too high. However I doubt this because I had a mate fit the saddle height for me and my leg is definitely not locked out or too straight. 

I was a couple of hours into a ride and a bit tired that day - is it just laziness? Can it just be corrected with me making sure to think of keeping my heal down. 

Or something else...?

I don't have any injuries related to cycling but I guess this crap look could head towards that? I looked through a couple of photos on the internet and no one else rides there bike like that! 

22/06/2013 at 20:01

link ?

cougie    pirate
23/06/2013 at 15:34
Some people do point their toes - even pros. I don't think it's a bad thing ?
23/06/2013 at 16:34

No laughing allowed:

http://www.sportcam.net/CompetitorDetail1.aspx?ID=7917045+&type=GENERAL+&Name=X

I seriously doubt I'm riding how the pros do. 

Mr StOat    pirate
27/06/2013 at 23:06

Need to replace the BB and the head bearings.

Its a square taper BB so will any square taper fit?

The headrace bearings are ball and race, can I replace them with nicer sealed bearing units? Its a Scott S30 (2010) so fairly standard I reckon.

Should then last longer / need less looking after. Its the turbo / winter / take away for work bike so low maintenance, highly durabel is always good

11,861 to 11,880 of 12,024 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.