Numpty IM Bike Thread

Bike ponces only welcome if they don't speak in tongues

141 to 160 of 11,977 messages
26/07/2005 at 12:08
No CAndy they would land at the same time as long as they're the same shape (air resistance 'n all that)
gravity only helps to accelerate a mass to it's terminal velocity...........once at this speed it has no effect as resistance (air, road, bike) stops the body going any faster..................
no they wouldn't, the lead one would drop like a stone, the feather would flutter
cougie    pirate
26/07/2005 at 12:09
Tee hee !
26/07/2005 at 12:10
well, as long as no-one hits escape velocity and has to be retrieved from the stratosphere we should all be alright.

26/07/2005 at 12:11
precisely FB, and on a bike the terminal velocity is set by air resistance and rolling resistance resisting the garavitational pull on the mass. heavier = faster.

26/07/2005 at 12:12
No no,

vsquared = u squared +2as

Where v = final velocity
u=initial velocity
a = acceleration
s = distance travelled.

Since a and s and presumably u are all equal, v must also be equal and...

Oh sod it.
[splut]
Calf    pirate
26/07/2005 at 12:12
Nah it wouldn't
Didn't you do the experiments at school where you timed (pre health and safety days) a hollow metal ball and a solid metal ball of the same diameter from the first floor and both landed at the same time.
2t yes your right the potential energy and ultimate kinetic energy of FB is greater than petal but that only comes into play when he puts the brakes on.

I can only assume the faster freewheeling is due to the higher kintic energy overcoming the friction in the bearings???
So ignore the previous para.

Yes i am bored at work today!

26/07/2005 at 12:13
[vapourises into a li'l spotty cloud]
Calf    pirate
26/07/2005 at 12:13
Nah it wouldn't
Didn't you do the experiments at school where you timed (pre health and safety days) a hollow metal ball and a solid metal ball of the same diameter from the first floor and both landed at the same time.
2t yes your right the potential energy and ultimate kinetic energy of FB is greater than petal but that only comes into play when he puts the brakes on.

I can only assume the faster freewheeling is due to the higher kintic energy overcoming the friction in the bearings???
So ignore the previous para.

Yes i am bored at work today!

try here

http://www.school-for-champions.com/science/gravity.htm

26/07/2005 at 12:14
the feather and the lead feather fall at the same speed IN A VACUUM.

Air resistance would be different due to different shape and surely the resistance of the tyres on the roads would increase if one person were heavier than the other?
26/07/2005 at 12:15
that's because the air resistance against the two balls is insignificant compared to the gravitational effect.

on a bike, the difference is huge. ditto rolling resistance. the cyclists aren't falling, they are rolling down an incline.

26/07/2005 at 12:17
i've sat up on the bike on a hill and freewheeled past monique pedalling hard in an aero tuck position

if it isn't gravity, what's your explanation for why heavier people always go faster downhill then? magic ley line energy from planet zog?
Calf    pirate
26/07/2005 at 12:17
damn comptometer.
How am I expected to have a good discussion when it takes 10 mins for the bloody pages to refresh

Anyone know why it does that!

26/07/2005 at 12:18
ask any cyclist who has been out with others. or look up the thread and see what road racers cougie and fb have to say. heavier people do go faster down hills.
Aha! I've got it!

The aerodynamics rule applies.

So there is an unknown factor, which we shall call x for the purposes of the arguement.

x is the factor which makes heavier things travel faster down slopes.

Simple aint it.
FFM, where are you based ?

If I go to any of the bike shops in my area none of them give me any grief about being a bike numptie and they didn't know me to start with.

You need to start looking at bike shops that have diversified into just more than road bikes.
Some of these road shops are the ones that either have a very narrow view of getting more people into cycling or try baffling you with science. Plus if you mention the word triathlon you are onto a loser already !

If you are anywhere in the North West I use Royles in Wilmslow (top end bikes of every make and do entry level sets as well), Sabar in Cheadle (specifically triathlon) and The Bike Factory in Chester.

I am sure in other areas people have a favourite shops but make them work for you and if someone takes the pi$$, walk out.
26/07/2005 at 12:19
[pads in to leave a li'l box of betablockers on the table, and pads off to do the shopping]
red haired girl - precisely
[checks mirror and vows to tone down colour next time]
141 to 160 of 11,977 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.