Numpty IM Bike Thread

Bike ponces only welcome if they don't speak in tongues

141 to 160 of 12,030 messages
26/07/2005 at 12:01
Finding a bike mechanic/LBS seems to be a very hard thing. I've basically tried all of the local ones and I'm always left with the feeling of being ripped off and talked down to.

I accept the fact that I should learn to do the basic maintainence myself.

I just want a decent level of service. You'd have thought that one shop would have someone who saw the long term potential of dealing with new customers. Triathletes don't seem averse to spending cash on bike stuff..
26/07/2005 at 12:02
[reads last few posts and tries in vain to stop li'l brain going *splut*]

[splut]
cougie    pirate
26/07/2005 at 12:04
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/galileo/expe_fobj_1.html

Ermmmmmmmmmmmmmm

[splut]
26/07/2005 at 12:04
Andy - they would - as per Gallelio (sp?) experiments. 2 cannonballs of different weights dropped, and they both land at the same time. Only aerodynamics makes the difference.

Which poses an odd problem.
26/07/2005 at 12:06
yes, for christs sake, and its aerodynamics that limits your speed on a bike. the lead feather falls faster than the feather. fat buddha descends steep hills faster than skinny gandhi.
26/07/2005 at 12:07
No CAndy they would land at the same time as long as they're the same shape (air resistance 'n all that)
[sigh]

[exits stage left]

over to you Grizzly
cross
26/07/2005 at 12:08
no they wouldn't. the lead one would drop like a stone, the feather would flutter.
No CAndy they would land at the same time as long as they're the same shape (air resistance 'n all that)
gravity only helps to accelerate a mass to it's terminal velocity...........once at this speed it has no effect as resistance (air, road, bike) stops the body going any faster..................
no they wouldn't, the lead one would drop like a stone, the feather would flutter
cougie    pirate
26/07/2005 at 12:09
Tee hee !
26/07/2005 at 12:10
well, as long as no-one hits escape velocity and has to be retrieved from the stratosphere we should all be alright.

26/07/2005 at 12:11
precisely FB, and on a bike the terminal velocity is set by air resistance and rolling resistance resisting the garavitational pull on the mass. heavier = faster.

26/07/2005 at 12:12
No no,

vsquared = u squared +2as

Where v = final velocity
u=initial velocity
a = acceleration
s = distance travelled.

Since a and s and presumably u are all equal, v must also be equal and...

Oh sod it.
[splut]
Calf    pirate
26/07/2005 at 12:12
Nah it wouldn't
Didn't you do the experiments at school where you timed (pre health and safety days) a hollow metal ball and a solid metal ball of the same diameter from the first floor and both landed at the same time.
2t yes your right the potential energy and ultimate kinetic energy of FB is greater than petal but that only comes into play when he puts the brakes on.

I can only assume the faster freewheeling is due to the higher kintic energy overcoming the friction in the bearings???
So ignore the previous para.

Yes i am bored at work today!

26/07/2005 at 12:13
[vapourises into a li'l spotty cloud]
Calf    pirate
26/07/2005 at 12:13
Nah it wouldn't
Didn't you do the experiments at school where you timed (pre health and safety days) a hollow metal ball and a solid metal ball of the same diameter from the first floor and both landed at the same time.
2t yes your right the potential energy and ultimate kinetic energy of FB is greater than petal but that only comes into play when he puts the brakes on.

I can only assume the faster freewheeling is due to the higher kintic energy overcoming the friction in the bearings???
So ignore the previous para.

Yes i am bored at work today!

try here

http://www.school-for-champions.com/science/gravity.htm

26/07/2005 at 12:14
the feather and the lead feather fall at the same speed IN A VACUUM.

Air resistance would be different due to different shape and surely the resistance of the tyres on the roads would increase if one person were heavier than the other?
141 to 160 of 12,030 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.