Nutrition in longer events

Who has what, and when?

21 to 40 of 55 messages
The Evil Pixie    pirate
07/10/2012 at 11:27

Thanks PSC - I had realised the fluid thing was less important in half maras but not sure where it fitted in IM. My last london was a nightmare and I got to the stage where I was a little incoherant, couldn't take anything apart from tiny sips of nuun for the last hr and then was like new.

My "fear" is that I will take on more than needed - I already have enough "stored energy" without adding to it!! How easily will the body use lard storage in training? Is that were the low hr stuff actually works? (never managed low HR running really as too boring!)

Red_dog_chris    pirate
07/10/2012 at 13:48

I used to take loads of gels out when doing +6hr rides, but I don't get on with them. I have come to a point now where I have h5 energy drink, H5 zero and real food in my food pouch- a few energy bars, sarnie, dried fruit. Flat coke is brill and is good on my stomach so I take that with banana and orange segments. I also have an S-cap before the run for extra salt. I am a heavy sweater  

The Evil Pixie    pirate
07/10/2012 at 13:53

how do people carry all  this food and fluid? Do you stop at shops?

My bike has a tiny frame so I can only carry 1 x 750ml bottle so was thinking camelbak for longer rides and as already mentioned bento boxes don't take much

Red_dog_chris    pirate
07/10/2012 at 14:06

I brought a pouch thingy from halfords- its brill waterproof and can carry a Samsung s11, house keys, dried fruit, 2 energy bars, chocolate and sarnie. £10.00

2 elite bottles on bike frame- 500ml, 750ml.

The Evil Pixie    pirate
07/10/2012 at 14:14

what like a bum bag or something to attach to the bike?

Red_dog_chris    pirate
07/10/2012 at 14:32
The Evil Pixie    pirate
07/10/2012 at 14:37

cool thanks

Red_dog_chris    pirate
07/10/2012 at 14:38

happy to help.

Blisters    pirate
07/10/2012 at 15:21

I heard that Gobi took on board salted boiled potatoes during ultra-marathons and that was what got me thinking. That, and the consideration of all that sugary stuff leaving a yukky feeling in the mouth after a mere 70 miles on the bike. I don't think that anything with dairy content will be at all good. Anyone doing a sea swim will tell you that the salt water intake will curdle it and you'll need to puke at some point. A "fresh" water swim shouldn't in theory be an issue. But what do I know?

Certainly the Topeak cross bar pouch looks good.

purpletrilady    pirate
07/10/2012 at 15:26
The Evil Pixie wrote (see)

how do people carry all  this food and fluid? Do you stop at shops?

My bike has a tiny frame so I can only carry 1 x 750ml bottle so was thinking camelbak for longer rides and as already mentioned bento boxes don't take much

My bike only takes one drinks bottle too. I carry some food in my jacket and/or bento box. I always take lots of money and stop at shops for top ups. If possible find some friends to cycle with and then you can have cake and coffee stops.

07/10/2012 at 15:27
Mini pork pies are the antidote to gels & high 5
Dubai Dave    pirate
07/10/2012 at 15:42

Stick a double bottle holder off the back of your saddle, that gives you 4 bottles, 5 if you use a aero bottle between your tri bars, thats  enough liquid for over 4 hours even in the heat of Dubai. One gel every 45 mins has got me through all my long bike rides, thats 7 gels which will easily fit in a bento box. Others tape them to the cross tube, pringle tubes are occasionally taped to bars as well! On a IM ist not necessary to carry all this stuff you get given drinks, gels, bananas etc at the aid stations. 

07/10/2012 at 15:45
Cake and coffee stops destroy the idea of a training ride tho
07/10/2012 at 17:58
PSC wrote (see)

here is the bento box you need...

http://crispgreen.com/files/2012/02/bike.jpg

Excellent. I can also put my picnic blanket in

07/10/2012 at 18:07
Nice one SS I'll look out for you on the bike route, would be like a moving feed station
OrangeCannon kona-6    pirate
07/10/2012 at 19:15

as DD says, a 2 bottle unit behind the bars is useful.
I've got a bontrager thing - plastic thingy at about £35.

for a long ride, I carry 2-3  bottles - high 5 / torq, and high 5 zero. 
I carry 1-2 packs of high 5 powder and stop at a shop after 2-3 hours and refill.

In training I do maltloaf, bananas, maybe an apple as solid food on the hour.
I do some gels as well as needed.  Gets expensive though

Malt loaf in bento box, gels and refil powder etc in pockets or canister in bottle cage.

In an IM race,
I have 3 bottles, (1 on the frame of sports drink, 2 behind the saddle - one high 5 zero, one of 10+ gels in a bottle, (and a little water).
drink a bike bottle of sports drink per hour (ish)
solid food on the hour - maltloaf Iin bento box), bananas picked up from aid stations, even power bars by the end.
Gels in a bike bottle, (ie 10..) and a swig on 20 / 40 minutes, with a high 5 zero or water chaser,

pick up extra sports drink / water as you need.

Simples

The Evil Pixie    pirate
07/10/2012 at 20:17

sounds it!

Like the idea of gels in a bottle

I can't see how to attach a 2 bottle thing to my seat - I bought 1 from wiggle & returned it as I don't have a bar across the back of the saddle

IronCat5    pirate
07/10/2012 at 20:40

I have an x-lab mini wing. Each cage comes with some metal work that fixes to the saddle rail on each side.

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
07/10/2012 at 21:29

In addition to my gels in a bottle and my aero bottle on the front, ginger cake. And a cheese sarnie.

07/10/2012 at 21:41
No idea I've ordered a high 5 race pack and a sis intro pack so I can trial run a few different things.
21 to 40 of 55 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.