Off Road Tris

Getting down n doity

21 to 28 of 28 messages
06/07/2010 at 18:14
Bodmin tis in darkest Kernow (Cornwall)
07/07/2010 at 15:29
Cornwall couldn't get much further away from me then !
Vince Ashton wrote (see)
Try end of October in Coed Y Brenin. My off road duathlon then (this year 24th October)
I'm working unfortunately and my bike hasn't recovered from 'Hit the North' Duathlon
Are you doing that again or was it too much to manage?
Coedy is also a bit of a nemisis of mine, but hopefully I will do it one year.

AliAird wrote (see)
 Out of interest, would people use MTB shoes for this sort of event or off road running shoes and toe clips etc? Or change as per road tri?

Personally I moved onto flatties for MTB a couple of years ago. Find it muchly better for techy stuff, not that I'm any good at it So I pedal in my fell shoes.

A lot of people do change. Don't use toe clips, they are dangerous much better with spuds. If it's not a techy course then I would consider using spuds as I use them on my roadie.

Edited: 07/07/2010 at 15:30
07/07/2010 at 15:59
The Duathlon at Hit the North may come back in some form or other, but a bit too busy with other projects
07/07/2010 at 16:44
Righto I'll look out for it....if you promise to dry that course out
BMBecky    pirate
07/07/2010 at 17:17

Orange - I'm the opposite, I like my spds on techy stuff, can't stand feet moving when I'm bouncing over stuff!  And they really help on techy climbs

So that just proves its all personal preference (as ever!).

But now someone's got me thinking about an IM again.... oh, I really think it's too soon to be making plans for next year!

07/07/2010 at 17:20
I'll stick with spds off road as well - the only time I'll unclip is if there is a great danger (usually on steep downhill wooded technical singletrack) of needing to bale out. I'd rather have the luxury of chucking myself off the bike quickly than going down with it!
07/07/2010 at 18:02
BM Becky wrote (see)

Orange - I'm the opposite, I like my spds on techy stuff, can't stand feet moving when I'm bouncing over stuff!  And they really help on techy climbs

So that just proves its all personal preference (as ever!).

But now someone's got me thinking about an IM again.... oh, I really think it's too soon to be making plans for next year!

5/10's and VMR (?) pedals, like glue. In fact a bugger if you put your foot in the wrong place you can't move it. I lost confidence in spuds after about 14years never thought I'd cope on flats. I think it's an age thing.

I'm seriously thinking of a half IM next year but I'd want to do an off-road one at least for the run which makes them sooo much harder. I don't do running on tarmac.

07/07/2010 at 18:52
Max - this months edition of Triathlete Europe has a feature called 'Xterra Special' with some tips and bike reviews.  It also has a feature on Plymouth tri Club which might interest you! 

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 28 of 28 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.