oh bugger, another fat newbie.....

getting started with stupid questions and a goal

221 to 240 of 575 messages
07/10/2012 at 15:01

some nice training in the bag with a long run today and a bit of swimming. ( Really need to do rather more swimming - so I will ).

Been window shopping ~ tt bike, computrainer, silly wetsuit, garmin910 ..... wife didnt freak. ( SO, thats a big red flag isnt it. She knows something, and I'm about to find out how much its going to cost )

LOL.

Blisters    pirate
07/10/2012 at 15:26

I'm sure that you don't need a fully fledged time trial bike just yet. Remember that it's all about the engine. There's usually bike sales in January when manufacturers are thinking about the new ranges and bike shops are trying to shift anything. Even Halfords have come up with good deals.

Wetsuits, similarly. £100 should do it comfortably.

Meanwhile, get to work on that engine.

07/10/2012 at 16:41

Im sure i dont too, but its best to set expectations early...

More engine work lined up!
07/10/2012 at 21:53

mmmm..... interesting swim session. coach set a time trial to allow us to benchmark progress...

9.06 for 400m, 4.20 for 200m ...... a line in the sand.

Blisters    pirate
07/10/2012 at 22:09

There was sand? Did you swim off the beach?

Er, I must now admit that 9:06 for 400m is faster than me. Have you done a lot of swimming in the past Sgt?

07/10/2012 at 22:25

not for a very long time and only for fun. like I said previously somewhere in the forum. I once swam a mile for charity, but that was a lifetime ago. I've not swum? lengths for 15yrs or so until a month or so ago...when I did 2 lots of 50m

09/10/2012 at 16:21

so,

I need to get tumble turning and bilateral breathing sorted with a relaxed rythm/pace to make that 400m work for me.  7 weeks to go to my first event. Im not nervous. I just have to pee a lot. 

silly question.  when racking the bike (* as I have only 6 months to go to get this right ) where do you leave all your bike nutrition etc ? Indeed, what stays with the bike in the transition area and what goes where ? 

silly question 2. when attending a race without support ( family etc ) where would you leve essentials like car keys, wallet, mobile, money as you swim/bike/run around the countryside ?

now, tomight a brick session and I missed my long run so I'm thinking making the brick 30z2Bike QC 60z2Run rathern than 15z2Run as per the plan ?

wasnt impressed with going long - a little too fuzzy and more of a vehicle for joe friels protege coach ( its his book, not friels ). not that a book matters anyhow.  perhaps I need more decisive direction.

swim smooth book seemed very fluffy - must be about 30 pages of real content begging for video material - which of course is what it is ( a pitch vehicle for dvd's and plastic training guides and coaching workshops etc - even if poorly executed )

wife is almost on board with the whole long distance tri thing. ( im not sure she really understands how far 140.6 miles is, bless her )

and work is providing a coach for me about me. might just abuse that oppourtunity to work on the mental side.

my blog is almost ready to roll....integrated comments with facebook, and needs some phots, video's and oh. content worth an audience.  rather cleverly, its pre existing domain, with a twitter account at 8000 followers and utube and facebook. ( marketing geek, guilty as charged - I am considering abusing my access to a big brand facebook page 500,000 followers - to drive traffic to the blog/twitter - nothing works like a big blast of free publicity.  OOOOhhh and the domain name is partially the same as the tri club sponsor! Ill just have to rebrand myself here to match

Found my copy of training lactate pulsrate by Janssen. a hugely geek analysis fest. still dont understand any of it, except you can only work so hard, and just beneath so hard is great and just over is dire.

lastly, how to make best use of my swiming without a coach? got my CSS of 2.23 for 100m which will improve with tumble turns, bilateral, rythm, technique and conditioning.  So thinking hard about a beep trainer thing or going all in for garmin so I can upload the splits ad all that nonsense - 

09/10/2012 at 16:28
Not sure about tumble turns, a lot of pool based races don't allow them

Usually set the bike up before the start, so bottles on the bike, and depending on distance gels etc in a bento box on the top tube

Most people use a small box in transition so trackie top etc gets left in that with my car keys in the zipped up pocket

Wallet and mobile locked in he car

Transition is usually well marshalled so things are generally pretty safe in there
09/10/2012 at 16:55

forget tumble turns unless you plan to spend an awful lot of time in the pool - I can do them (with varying success) but usually don't bother and just focus on what I'm doing between the walls.  likewise, bilateral breathing - it ain't a dealbreaker if you stick with unilateral (some fella called Phelps swims breathing unilaterally and I believe he's not too shabby??  ).  they key is to be sure you can breath effficiently whichever method.  bilateral can be useful in sea swims where the waves may be coming from one direction but you can still cope - I haven't drowned yet!

09/10/2012 at 16:56

phelps is a freak. size 19 feet. hes a blasted amphibian. so, he can swim but he cant ride a bike worth a damn

just technique and rythm and endurance then.

09/10/2012 at 17:02
Training ? Wash your mouth out young Cake
09/10/2012 at 17:32

the only cure for training, is racing. or is that the only point ?

school parents evening now, then a brick with a long run on the end before dinner and bed

09/10/2012 at 17:35
Ah parents evening. I used to love those.... I always wondered who the child they were talking about was, cos it never sounded like my brat
10/10/2012 at 21:34

having a bit of a bugger with luck.

missed my long run session. family tensions caused by my lack of attention

missed my shorter run wouldhave been long. boiler died twice. managed a mile before bedlam took hold

aiming for my brick tonight

10/10/2012 at 23:49

thats better. 30 turbo, 35 run - covered 5k in record time. even if the iphone app is poney for distance on the treadmill.

its a lark init. exercise n stuff. eh ?

wheres the midday sun when your mad dog wants to go out?

11/10/2012 at 07:38
Mid day sun ? Dunno I'm oop norf
11/10/2012 at 13:06
Agreed mate (well apart from the bit about Greggs, never been in one). Suzie has said she doesn't mind me doing Half or Full IM's, so long as she doesn't have to watch !
Iron Muffin    pirate
11/10/2012 at 13:13

Dave, are you coming out of retirement?

Please keep you bad luck to yourself Sgt Lard. I am just starting to do a bit again and dont want any setbacks. Feel very lardy so no Gregg's for me. (I don't do Gregg's anyway, I could get on a soap box about supporting independent bakers........)

11/10/2012 at 13:29
Nope
12/10/2012 at 18:49

ahhh.....a nice little run tonight. I might even try once around the block(ish) jsut for larks - hoping it rains so I can get used to an english summer

outlaw half opens on tuesday, apprantly.  Ill be watching.

also querried the waitlist progress to see if theirs any action building.  ( i know it only just sold out, but you get nothing if you dont ask ).

confession. missed a bike effort last night. so will have to make a special effort tomorrow.

retirements for dead people. or as near death as I want to be.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.