oh bugger, another fat newbie.....

getting started with stupid questions and a goal

241 to 260 of 601 messages
13/10/2012 at 10:49
Always a good move mate
Blisters    pirate
14/10/2012 at 21:18

It's gone quiet in here. Either he's been sacked or he's in the sack.

Sgt Lard, might I make a recommendation? Buy a copy of Andy Holgate's book. Can't swim, can't ride, can't run. He's also called Iron Holgs, and is a Pirate. I am trying very hard not to read it before I go on holiday, but it keeps jumping into my hand.

14/10/2012 at 21:25

Holgs book shouldbe required pirate reading.  i may have read it 4 times now and I've only had it 4 months!

14/10/2012 at 21:32
And book 2 will be out in the new year, more inspiration for all ditherers
14/10/2012 at 23:31

Been busy doing stuff...garden, builders rubble removal, electrical wiring, home decorating. 

Brownie points restored!

long run delivered tonight, missed a bike session ( Tomorrow is another day! ). crackin!

OH, yes Ive read Holgs book. I thought I said very early on in the thread....

My son wanted to get me a book and didnt want to buy Lance as 'he's been on the news for being a cheat, dad' and he picked Holgs tomb. This was late august. read it, signed up here and their, spend some money. dug lots of 'stuff' out of the garage from when I was young and still waiting to meet a woman foolish enough to become a wife. ( mine at any rate )

Now, 8 weeks later Im swimming up to a mile ( in chunks ), Im running 1hr+ and 37min 5k's. Bike work isnt progressing as it should - something I must fix my christmas. Got my first event ( aquathon ) on the 18th nov.  Ill be entering outlaw half this week and im on the wait list for outlaw full. and as soon as I can get into a wetsuit/tri suit without splitting it in three, ill own those two !

Ive lost 6lbs officially, but i feel like its more.

Time to re-read Holgs.  ( Be nice if the famous author stopped by the thread and provided some wisdom from cumbria ! )

Thanks everyone for your support to date.

14/10/2012 at 23:34

OK. .how does one obtain the pirate flag next to the user id ?

Will I be able to order pirate one-piece in the spring ( when it might fit ?)

wifes worried im over doing it. buggeration. i was close to 22stone. I was already overdone ! Time to shred back to a normal shaped human instead of the couch Ive become.  

15/10/2012 at 22:30

well, felt a little rough after yesterdays exertions, so a quick 20 min spin on the turbo at z1 to flush out the gremlins.

45 min run z2 tomorrow night. Hoping to get a swim in the morning......

400w/u

4*400 with 30secs

200 wd

18m pool so more maths to do to work it out....

hows everyone doing ?

Blisters    pirate
15/10/2012 at 22:38

SgtL.
Personally, and not having met you, I would also be worried. My worry, which may be unfounded, is that it could be a flash in the pan. However, you do come to the party with a motivation. This is good news, and having set a silly goal, like Outlaw, you are likely to be sufficiently motivated to achieve it.
An unsustainable goal would be "do some exercise to lose some weight". Why? Because there's no final target, no time frame, and no way that it can be broken down into a definitive programme.

Now then, back on board the Pirate Ship. Those hour length runs have got to be doing good, and it sounds like it. General cardiovascular exercise. If you turn red in the face and wheezy, you're on the edge of doing too much. You know when you have actually done too much if you get a lift home in a vehicle with blue lights.

By the way, I'm beginning to appreciate your commitment now that the improvement can be measured. Well done. Oh, I hope that you're not one of those soft centred and sensitive people that can't take a ribbing. I've never been accused of being subtle.

Blisters    pirate
15/10/2012 at 22:40

x-post

Monday appears to have been a day off for me. A couple of whinjury niggles have appeared that annoy me. It's just soft tissue, so will be fine in a few days time.

16/10/2012 at 08:40

Wisdom from Cumbria...............  Eat pies and watch out for sheep !

My next race is in Cumbria...

After 5 years of nonstop Tri, I have rediscovered my first love of running, managed a 40 mile week last week, and shuffled an easy 6 miles last night.

Have to agree with the others Sgt, Build it up steady, you are in danger of overdoing things, tranquilo tranquilo

16/10/2012 at 10:58
Indeed. Real goals have numbers atached. I will be loosing 100lbs by june even if it means cutting of a leg or two.

Ive a thick skin. More hide like than skin. Probably part couch too!

Nothing silly about a goal like outlaw. But ask me again at the finish line.
Awaiting the half outlaw opening with plastic in my hand.... Thats the easy part

Also thinking i can tame the running a bit and add more bike ( im missing too many sessions and their not taxing me enough methinks) and swimming - im averaging 1 session a week which is 3 short of usefull

All about being balanced and ready for a fink ish approach to outlaw full ( assuming the waitlist converts - i was no12 so fingers crossed )

No flash in the pan - im working week by week towards my first ace ( which i now know i can complete withou a blue light lift having done the distance already ) and being under 20 stone for the first time in a decade.

16/10/2012 at 23:26
Maybe i overdid it sunday with the run. Still sore, over tired and lethargic. Skipped my scheduled session and aiming for an early swim with a lightbrick in the evening
17/10/2012 at 08:43
Nothing like getting wet first thing in the morning. Feeling good today so a quick browse of the forum :

Ironholgs has been posting - book 2 is almost at pre order status. Yeah

Outlaw half opened - im signing up before my coffee and a day of common sense training (dullsville - paying a numpty who hasnt done it to tell me stuff i was doing in real world when he was finishing high school so another numpty can add a 'certificate' on his cv.

Thank god for brick sessions to look forward too tonight!

Whats making your day special ?
17/10/2012 at 09:23
Today ! Signing the OH up for the Paris marathon so she can celebrate a special birthday in style

Will get some running in later
17/10/2012 at 09:55
Lol

If i signed my other half for a marathon anywhere in earth, id end up short of family jewels
17/10/2012 at 09:57
She wants to do it ! Celebration of her 55th birthday , I did say what's wrong with a meal, candles & a $hag as usual, but she insists on Paris for a run !

Strange woman, then again she is married to me
17/10/2012 at 12:37
Everyone keeps telling her, we were in the same class at school, & everyone knows I'm an old fart
17/10/2012 at 12:40

me and P are doing Brighton Marathon to celebrate our 60th's next year...

what a bunch of freaks we all are eh??

17/10/2012 at 13:06
Speak for yourselves ! I'm spending next year knitting !
17/10/2012 at 16:50
Im doing the outlaw half and damn the consequences.

Now, has anyone seen my mom cause Im sure to needa cuddle from someone who lovesme

And now ineed a toilet break

What larks!
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.