oh bugger, another fat newbie.....

getting started with stupid questions and a goal

21 to 40 of 601 messages
29/08/2012 at 11:09

Thanks guys(?) 

29/08/2012 at 11:17
Think the ? Mark means he's concerned about someones sexuality. Teehee.

Me & FB are both guys
Pethead    pirate
29/08/2012 at 11:41

At the risk of splitting hairs, surely that's gender rather than sexuality? 

29/08/2012 at 11:44
I stand corrected. I will crawl back under my stone
29/08/2012 at 11:48

you'll need a big stone...

29/08/2012 at 11:55
Small boulder ?
29/08/2012 at 12:25

you fellows are much too funny to be taken seriouslly.  If I had paid more attention to holgs book, Id have spotted his talented fanbase earlier.

I trust you are having a splendid summers? day in your part of the empire ?

regards

29/08/2012 at 12:26

And any grown man in Lycra makes me question sanity, rather than sexuality. I diont think its a fabric designed to make a man look good.

Pethead    pirate
29/08/2012 at 15:16

Work hard & laugh loud is the way I like it! As for lycra, I guess it's a necessary evil on race day and not something men really need to be training in.
Summer? What's that? Club training's at 6pm and I'm just hoping the clouds don't have enough water in for the current downpour to continue until then!

29/08/2012 at 16:31

reminds me of an old coach's mantra - 'its only water, unless your made of sugar shut up and get on with it'.

Just bought a book on swimming ( swim smooth ) - shorts will need to be replaced with 'jammers?-a sort of short based speedo'. Looking for a book on triathlon ( Friel's Bible maybe - anyone have an opinion ?).  

Have two clubs locally, Stafford and Burntwood. Burntwood are organising an Aquathon in November so 10wks+ to get ready for 400m pool + 5k run - the run is around a flat field so the treadmill work should transfer well. Must I join a club ?

Swimming is rather pricey locally - 4.50 a session compared to 3.00 further afield, so further afield it may be. ( good news is their is a 25m pool 3miles from my new office ). Im not cheap, but im not that easily parted from cash. ( Mind you, whats this Garmin gadget I keep reading about......I think I need one of those, whatever it does.

getting ready for a 30 minute run later today. I want to cover 2miles in that time, but maybe with the hrt around 160 rather than 180.  Still need to get some swimming in, so a club might be best as they both offer coaches - who can put me right once theyve done with the harpoons.

hope your all having a wonderfull day.

29/08/2012 at 16:36

i did find ( inthe garage amongst bits of bike and assorted debris) a copy of Dave Scott Triathlon Training. bought this so long ago, i would have been fit enough to use it. Also some endurance training books by Evans, another by Scott tinnley.

got those in the US think. must try and read them.

29/08/2012 at 17:44

ho hum,

Just entered my first event.... November 18th I had better be ready!

29/08/2012 at 17:45
Ironman ?
29/08/2012 at 18:00
I dont eat sweets or chocolate. I'm an aflete
29/08/2012 at 18:15

Ironman ....  did contemplate ironman UK 2014 .... but perhaps I should actually do some training and maybe a sprint event first - you know, so as to properly prepare

bet i could lend you all a stone each and still be the lardiest. 

Never ick the sweets - you nick the sweets and then you dangle them of the back of your bike to get them disqualified for drafting.

Thats a book I remember from a while ago...must go diggin in the garage for it, thanks Cake. And hello btw.

now I need to tell the wife Ive a race comming up........ no sniggering!

29/08/2012 at 18:18
iM UK hasn't opened for 2013 yet. Or The Outlaw. Where you racing in November ?
29/08/2012 at 18:31

Aquathon Burntwood. 400m swim 5k run. dead flat and non lethal ( except for the weather and the drivers of vehicles and all that exercise piled up against one another ).

Ironman - are you trying to kill me ?  I might be ready to comit to it at the end of next season IF ive droped some lard, done some olympic length tri's and not been killed by her indoors! 2014 event maybe - perhaps steelman or outlaw instead - but lets stay focused on the present - ive actually got to climb a hill before thinking that far out.

now for a race number rope and some elasticated laces (ive always wanted elasticated laces - now a REAL reason to buy them ! ) and whatever else looks trendy and flash. Maybe I could try some of that gel muck rather than a bacon, sausage, egg & mushroom sandwidge and a mug of tea from the van .... they will have a van, won't they ?

29/08/2012 at 18:34
Lol I did 2 sprints and one Oly before my 1st IM. And I was over 16 st
29/08/2012 at 19:11
Oh, thats a nice way to set the bar isnt it
29/08/2012 at 19:14
And as I've said could only swim breast stroke and had a ??300 bike from Decathlon
21 to 40 of 601 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.