oh bugger, another fat newbie.....

getting started with stupid questions and a goal

401 to 420 of 601 messages
13/01/2013 at 13:18

im not talking to myself Blisters.  Ive let myself down, so sent myself to coventry 

besides the voices in my head, say 'dont listen to him, hes not your friend. you should kill him.......'

anyhow, managed my 60 min long run that should have been 80 min. I killed the treadmill.  the deck has started to split, and its just a tady springy to run on at the moment.  looking for replacement parts is not making me smile. so of to get a quote or three before panic sets in.

part might be around 100, job might be 2 hours of someone trained. so 200-250 all in. 

13/01/2013 at 13:57

just run outside sgt - much nicer and cheaper

13/01/2013 at 14:03

outside. where the common people go...... is that allowed ? ( can you tell the OH ? )

Ill check the goverment tag....

13/01/2013 at 14:07

yes, out there!! 

13/01/2013 at 22:52

ill be running outside on Tuesday, not sure what route to take : should I stay flatish or live with short steep hill or the longer one ?  45-60 minutes, z2 etc etc

garmin tells me my run cadence is around 75 over 5 miles.  no idea if thats good or bad, except i need to be covering 7 miles in that run.

Hows everyone else doing ? 

evening all.

14/01/2013 at 17:16

any old route will do - I would choose the one with the least ice, so go for one where the road is gritted! don't worry about the distance, if you are doing 60mins you are doing 60 mins, don't go quicker to try to get distance covered if that is going to take you out of z2. However, if you are running uphill, don't worry that your hr goes above z2 for while you are going uphill.

cadence - don't really know much about that, apart from the fact that my physio has told me to try to increase mine! I did read that about 180 (so I guess your garmin should be reading 90), is optimal, so maybe try for shorter quicker steps. Be prepared for it to feel very different if you have done all your running on a treadmill up to now

14/01/2013 at 18:11

Im enjoying a day on my backside cake. no training on my day of rest....

PHEW! mathschick. I had wondered how the hell you could get a caddence of 180 and not be sprinting like your life depended on not being caught by Usain bolt.  90 seems more doable. 

Im wondering how to make the switch on the brick session ( from turbo to non treadmill. ) might have to open the doors and gate in readiness for a qhick dash - but im not keen on charging up the road in my cycling lycra...... not a sight desired to let people keep their dinner down

couple of 3-4mile loops around the estate for tuesdays selection. i think a gentle flat/downhill start and then a gentle uphill struggle before a bit for flat and a return to home for resussitation. 

15/01/2013 at 12:16

we all look great in lycra we look like proper afletes

15/01/2013 at 12:42

I look a bit like a sausage thats been squeezed in to an extra skin

Do I care nah,,,,I could be sat on my arse

15/01/2013 at 14:03
karma wrote (see)

like extra suasage meat squeezed into too little skin. Do I care, not as much as the OH/Kids - 'oh dad, please dont do that from home - cant you go to the park/next town/work - and do that'

15/01/2013 at 14:52
SgtIronLard wrote (see)
karma wrote (see)

like extra suasage meat squeezed into too little skin. Do I care, not as much as the OH/Kids - 'oh dad, please dont do that from home - cant you go to the park/next town/work - and do that'

Just think how impressed they will be when you are svelte and toned

15/01/2013 at 19:22

kids are always going to be disparaging about what their parents are doing, but secretly they are going to be so amazed and proud when you do outlaw, bet they will be telling their friends that their dad is an ironman

Blisters    pirate
15/01/2013 at 21:34

Should hear my my troops said when I first appeared in a wetsuit.

It was ALMOST as disparaging as when I first put on the full Pirate attire. They just went for the aloof approach of "No Dad. That's YELLOW".

Edited: 15/01/2013 at 21:35
17/01/2013 at 10:24

nightmare

didnt manage my run on tuesday - too many interruptions and a combination of OH objections and OMG how cold/snowy/icy was it ?  Not good enough methinks. might have to move the 'run' to the lunchtime window where what isnt known, never happened.

on a positive note, i did eventually get my brick session in. 45 mins on the turbo, although quality is not where it should be, ( the data from garmin is very usefull for pointing out how 'solid' a session it wasnt. ) and then a 15 minute run, out in the cold where their be dragons n stuff. except at 11.45, all the dragons were tucked up in bed and it was mighty cold.  - run ws horrendous. hrt put me in z4 mostly, pace was 1round 13min mile, cadence around 150. just so much harder than a treadmill - felt like id not run in months ( if ever ).

need to review how I use a treadmill - as somehting isnt clicking in my approach . ( unless the whole world is wrong about treadmill running ).

another bike session tonight, then somehow a 60 minute run sometime inthe day. ( I gather its going to be blizzard conditions ? )

was a little despondent after the run. i mean, it was so crap I had a wobble about what im planning to do in june/july. then I snapped out of it and remembered ive got a pair.

hows everyone else doing in the sub zero environment ?

Britrisky    pirate
17/01/2013 at 19:18

I had a big wobble with my HRM a week ago, when even the slightest shuffle sent my HR sky high. Was so very cold having to stop and walk, well, all the time, practically. 

Suggestions were made about the performance of the HRM at low temperatures - sure enough, it started happening today - I just put my hand on the HRM to warm it up for a few seconds, and the HR fell straight away! Felt a bit silly - thought people might think I was having a heart attack, but it did the trick, and 10 minutes later it was performing normally again 

18/01/2013 at 08:17

yeah, my het has been a bit funny in the cold, partly I think because I don't wet the sensors, just rely on my sweat, but of course, don't get that sweaty when it is freezing

sarge - I haven't run much this week due to the ice. Running outside feels very different to running on a treadmill and you aren't used to running outside, once you get used to it you will find it easier/better.

Blisters    pirate
18/01/2013 at 17:02

When I bought mine I bought a tube of gel, a bit like KY jelly but labelled as dedicated stuff for electrical contacts to the body. The tiniest smear on the strap and bingo, brilliant contact from cold. It must have been cheap or I wouldn't have been suckered. The same tube is going strong after many years.

21/01/2013 at 23:50

no excuses.

long past time to HTFU mr Lard.

24 weeks to d-day and counting, and im not getting it done to schedule. not by a long way. ( not even a long walk, let along a long anything else. )  

got 40 minutes on a botched treadmill tonight. pool time tomorrow. bike before bedtime. ooo.rah.

hope your all doing bettern than me. I might need a lift at this rate.

IronCat5    pirate
22/01/2013 at 08:49

Sgt..... ditch the treddie.

I guess it has uses for inclement times liek we have at the moment, but it's not doing you any favours. Your body will need to get used to the impact of running and the treddie will cushion this to a certain point.

Obviously take it easy when you're out on the road, and don't kill yourself or be a hero. Running outside is more undulating and stop-start than a treddie and you'll need that experience and endurance for the big day.

22/01/2013 at 09:45

I concur after the QC run experience. 

Im using the treadmill just until the snow/ice is reduced enough to make running on it safe. - rain at the weekend should  see that realised. I did consider the yakmax things BUT as my ankle still isnt 100%, im reluctant to risk injury again this side of august.

more important to me right now is to hit each session planned with quality effort - something Ive been far too inconsistent in of late. ( inconsistent = neglible effort )

interesting thing these garmins.... cadence on my running is comparable even if pace isnt.(treadmillor outside)  footpod more accurate than iphone nike+ app ( its binned - the app, not the iphone ) and it means I have something usefull to look at and examine the quality/consitency of the effort rather than stress about the accuracy of the effort recording.  hrt a bit inconsistent - need to reread the other comments/thread about options to improve it/ignore it (RPE?).

60min turbo spin this evening - which is getting done, fun or not.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.