oh bugger, another fat newbie.....

getting started with stupid questions and a goal

481 to 500 of 1,163 messages
12/03/2013 at 14:06

im game. getting a bit of stuff done. running mostly.  I will hop on the bike tonight for a bit of a bash ( need a long bike - have done for a month or more ). Bike progress is good otherwise. looking forward to 90 mins of turbo. ( is that weird?)

running not so much - outside im getting better. but still need to breakthrough 6 miles/12 min milling as limiters. looking at some interval/fartlet work on the tready and staying outdoors for a long run later in the week.

been a tad distracted: daughter verry ill with glandualr fever, now recovering fine except a brief but rather ungracious bout of decor by technicolour yawn. pulled a muscle in my back so couldnt run fast. then the muscle moved to my hamstring and was puleld again. I just ratherhe stopped pulling and hung out with a few friends.

ooo, Goerge Osborn also wants my help with the deficit. Can I send him the money immediately, or would I like a kick inthe nuts first.

( Im getting the kick in the nuts first - of to court shortly for my bus pass instructions )

the money im giving away would buy a very nice TT bike. sort of thing pro's ride as 'sponsored afletes'. speeding isnt worth it. neither is being too welll paid.

PS. I deserve the kick in the nuts. I dont think George needs any more of my help with the deficit. ( perhaps he can tell europe to foxtrot oscar instead )

12/03/2013 at 14:19
But you aren't doing enough riding o deserve a TT bike ! Teehee
12/03/2013 at 15:16

lol.

I almost certainly will be in the very immediate future.  I wonder if George will accept an IOU as I will need to review my transport options

Blisters    pirate
13/03/2013 at 15:08

Pte Lard
Bike to work scheme? Get some of the money back.

Hey, sorry for hijacking, but like a kid with a prize from sport's day I feel compelled to bounce about and report that I managed to swim 152 lengths yesterday. That's 3800m. 2.4 miles. 1x IM swim. And it was well inside the cut off. It looks like I could be allowed a bike ride, after all!

Cortina5    pirate
13/03/2013 at 18:02

Sgt - have you used TrainerRoad since?

Did a 20 minute power test last night. Usual hurt but much better pacing than last time.

13/03/2013 at 23:31

Hi. Indeed, only yesterday I managaed another session 

http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/252424

mostly enjoyable, but got harder in the last third. much more fun than doing without the stimulous.

got a 40 min treadmil interval session in tonight.  lots of fun. far too much z4, and I should probably check the manual as I wasnt expecting to go from 11.40 min miles to 9:40 min miles as an interval session......

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/284068630

Im wondering how much better everyone else is doing. and how im going to break the 1hr session barrier....which should have happened regulary since january... 

Cortina5    pirate
14/03/2013 at 08:13

Good effort Soldier!

You'll find that with intervals. They take you way out of your comfort zone and make you faster.

SaintB    pirate
14/03/2013 at 14:30
Lard, on your garmin report you have a "training effect" on your heart rate read out. How do you get this? Mine doesn't have it on my garmin connect page.
14/03/2013 at 16:43

does it ?  I think you fill out your profile ( ie, im a at 46yr old. my heart rate zones are filled in = so I think it can figure out I was busting my ass vs. my previous efforts )

do you have the hrt monitor do hickey ?

ideally bike session tonight.... another endurance effort - might try and make it past the 60 minute mark.

and a run tomorrow.

SaintB    pirate
14/03/2013 at 21:15
Here is one of my garmin traces http://connect.garmin.com/activity/280719239

It's recording my heart rate etc and I've filled in my profile details but don't see the option.
Cortina5    pirate
14/03/2013 at 22:09

Double whammy tonight. TrainerRoad and Sufferfest!

15/03/2013 at 19:11

richards - I wonder if it depends which garmin you have? I have the 910xt and it gives me the training effect

what does trainer road give you? is it worth paying for?

Cortina5    pirate
15/03/2013 at 21:55

TrainerRoad can give you an idea of the power you can generate (called FTP) if you have a speed & cadence sensor. It can also do a similar job via a HRM.  It has a wide variety of turbo plans and workouts, all scaled to your FTP.

For the $10/month it is a superb investment and I have seen some great improvements since I have been using it.

Regardless of what you're training for it can help you stay in the right training zone - endurance for IM, threshold for sprint & Olympic, etc.

And best of all, you can drop your Sufferfest videos in to it and find out how much you've been slacking

16/03/2013 at 08:13

thanks cat, I'll think about it - I am guessing it will link with the garmin 910xt then via the  ant stick in the laptop? Might save it till next winter though when I hopefully start training for the full outlaw 2014

16/03/2013 at 08:16

in concur IC5, trainerroad is the best 10$ I ever spent on  membership.

start now, build your base, storm 2014.

16/03/2013 at 08:18
Just heading out on my last 20 miler before Paris, can someone remind me what a bike is again ?
Doner Kebab    pirate
16/03/2013 at 08:48

i just started trainer road last night, seems to be quite cool, just wish i had the fan set up and not done hill reps earlier. im donerkebab on TR. how many are on there - seen cat5 but thats all i know who use it atm

training effect only works with the 910 btw

Cortina5    pirate
16/03/2013 at 09:41
mathschick wrote (see)

thanks cat, I'll think about it - I am guessing it will link with the garmin 910xt then via the  ant stick in the laptop? Might save it till next winter though when I hopefully start training for the full outlaw 2014

Do yuo have an ANT+ stick with your 910? That's what it links with. You do need the speed & cadence sensor. If not, you'll need to get both. You can still record the ride on the 910 but the main feedback is from your computer screen.

Doner Kebab wrote (see)

i just started trainer road last night, seems to be quite cool, just wish i had the fan set up and not done hill reps earlier. im donerkebab on TR. how many are on there - seen cat5 but thats all i know who use it atm

training effect only works with the 910 btw

I'll start a new thread for TR goodness.

18/03/2013 at 22:00
Ok, good news:bad news ...

Good news: got my longish run in.
Bad news: still struggling to get fast

Opportunity : fartlek

Bad news: been to court and got a proper slap in the wallet
Good news: points not ban

Opportunity : a month on the public transport system will betheraputic

Hws everyones traing going?
Cortina5    pirate
18/03/2013 at 22:04

Lesson learnt?

Good workout though.

Lunch recovery turbo here then swim tonight. RH quad is somewhat larger than the LH one...Hmm.

Edited: 18/03/2013 at 22:14
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.