oh bugger, another fat newbie.....

getting started with stupid questions and a goal

521 to 540 of 582 messages
02/09/2013 at 16:28

oooh

was watching the ITU series the other day and realised they werent using hrt/garmin gadgetry - i pressume its because of the fast transitions - no time to hook up, no point if not hooked up.

so how do they pace themselves without the technogonads ? ( i assume srm cranks on the bike but optherwise sans analytics?

( particularly as the mens race really charged in the bike and then brownlee jumped away and ran home alone )

Blisters    pirate
02/09/2013 at 19:40

Sgt L.
At ITU they are basically racing oly distance.
They have done hours and years of training. They know their paces that they can keep going. The biggest issue though, is that they are going something like 90% of flat out. They know their rivals, and here's the biggie: IT'S A RACE. They aren't after a time, just after beating their rival into second place.
So you swim, and swim hard, preferably in the draft of the leader.
You hit transition hard, and get on the bike so that you're in the front pack. Miss that train and go home, game over.
You ride the pack, tactically. They ride the pack tactically. This is where it can be won or lost. Get a small breakaway that works together and you are basically busting your lungs out. Sit comfortably in the pack behind and you're history. Try making the jump between two packs and the rider behind you will benefit. You'll die.
The small group hits transition 2 hard, and again, you can lose that 10 second gap you gained unless you are more slick than the others.
Then there's a tiddy 10k run. At that sort of range you are going pretty much flat out for all of it. Seriously you're about to puke out your lungs, heart, eyeballs and everything. Don't forget that in the last mile you've got to increase the pace. If there happens to be a rival nearby, the pain is ignored and you try and get just ONE step closer, then another, then plan how you are going to beat them to the line. Are you going to go at 800m? 100m? 10m? Of course, they know your form, you know theirs. You may pass them with 50m to go but get pipped on the line.

Then puke.

02/09/2013 at 19:42

Or collapse in a heap like Jonny at the Olympics last year 

03/09/2013 at 11:11

makes sense.

managed a crappy swim this monring. too tired before and exhausted now. need to make sure i get my 7hrs beauty sleep before the rinse/repeat in the morning

should really do some running/biking later but right now im too wasted

03/09/2013 at 14:54

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/728809/gallery/ironpiggy.jpg?width=350

This time next year, no more excuses..... £5 in for every 1lb off ! love my OH really

03/09/2013 at 21:32

Ref wifey not letting you go full distance, have you thought about doing the long course weekend in Tenby next year? You could book the iron distance events and see how it goes and adjust as the weekend progresses. I did it this year, managed the 2.4 swim, only managed 72 mile bike the next day( missed cut off), and done the marathon on the Sunday(and I could have reduced that to half if I wanted.

It was really well done, and the bike course is the ironman wales course, so good practice. Plus, I think, it was only about 95 quid for all 3 events. I think it's gone live now.

04/09/2013 at 11:52

I was thinking that would be a good use of time - also the DIY and maybe a lower profile half distance later in the season as I prove myself ?

another swim this morning. feeling it now ( first time back to back swimming 1mile+ ). bike tonight and a little core work. another swim in the morning ( or a run - or a run later )

pool wetronome ordered. need to make the pace consistent and appropriately tasked. need to be sure to set the garmin up properly either way and make a strong push off/turn to correctly record lengths.

hows everyone progressing ?

04/09/2013 at 11:56

whats the likelyhood of the long weekend selling out fast ?

04/09/2013 at 12:31

I think I paid for mine in January this year, I don't think it sells out too fast for the full long course option, but not too sure if you go down booking each event separately. Youre better off booking for the long course and adjusting, if you need to, on the weekend. Seren may be able to tell you when she booked the sportive for this year.

There's also a similar event held near Bath, where you do the swim and bike on the Saturday, then the Marathon on the Sunday, chilli bean triathlon club, I think.

04/09/2013 at 12:37

This is the link to the Bath weekend event, looks like fun as you can mix and match what you want. No idea of price though

http://hotchillitri.co.uk/bath-endurance-weekend/

Cake    pirate
04/09/2013 at 12:44

Lard The DIY is a very good place to start and your going to meet some cool kids there. For letter on in the year you might like the wild boar half It's low key and cheapish for a half. Did it for the second time last weekend and been very inpressed with the atertude of the organiser's both times.

Cake    pirate
04/09/2013 at 12:48

Oh and very cool piggy bank.

04/09/2013 at 12:51
Cake wrote (see)

He'll be starting up a new thread flogging them with shmunks soon

Edited: 04/09/2013 at 12:53
04/09/2013 at 12:55
SgtLard wrote (see)

whats the likelyhood of the long weekend selling out fast ?

The long course website says there is no limit to number of competitors, so you should be able to sign up at any time. It only costs £90 as well which is pretty reasonable

http://www.longcourseweekend.com/event-info/about.php

04/09/2013 at 16:04
Richardsdrr wrote (see)
Cake wrote (see)

He'll be starting up a new thread flogging them with shmunks soon

now, thats a thought......

Edited: 04/09/2013 at 16:06
05/09/2013 at 10:19

another 1.9k in the pool. this is fun

need some bike and some running ......

11/09/2013 at 09:54

mmmmm, lots of swimming. not much else.

too much tech

need to raise my effort a little ( lot )

how you all doing

11/09/2013 at 09:59

Easy 10k jog before brekkie 

Blisters    pirate
11/09/2013 at 22:23

Sgt.Lard

I have a little bit of information for you, that may prove to be fatal, or inspirational, depending on how you react.

A relatively new recruit to the Pirate ship, who we shall call W. to hide his identity, raced at Henley. Obviously you have access to the Pirate page on Facebook. We knew that he was hooked on cycling, and time trials, and that at the age of 26 he had certain advantages. What we didn't anticipate was that he was about to demolish almost all the opposition, coming 2nd in his age group. Right, so he deserves his name.

What we didn't know until the Monday after the race was that 4 years prior he was 21 stone. We were all shocked, and if he hadn't got an old id card to prove it we wouldn't have believed it. He started off by running gently, lost some weight, got hooked on it, got into cycling, and is now pushing the boundaries. He'll get faster, no doubt.

It's a marathon, not a sprint, and what impressed me more than anything was that our mutual friend was not like an alcoholic on remission. He was about 6ft tall and 12 stone, tucked into his grub like a normal endurance athlete, and enjoyed a pint.

Enjoy training, get over the niggles and injuries, keep active even if not following a plan slavishly. This won't follow a pre-prepared programme or timetable. You are doing what you can, because you can. The more you do, the more you'll be able to do.

SgtLard wrote (see)

how you all doing

I did my first ironman distance race at the weekend. Still can't believe it.

12/09/2013 at 10:09

WOW, well done Blister!

and many thanks for the inspiration/  I ll hunt mr W down. great effort their also. the weight is going. the strength is comming. injuries and illness be damned. 

its a slog, a game of inches over many many days/miles/efforts - but always striving for the inch.  Im determined - and the OH is almost onboard. ( near death illness does focus the mind a little ). ( i do like Alpacino's little speach )

i see 4 months of base building ahead. just getting the body used to being abused daily, getting the diet under control ( no white stuff )  : that should see several bars raised by christmas and a new set of trousers or three.

longest swim ever this morning ! 2575m. holly sh*t. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/374422871

now, its was rather slow. nothing like css ( i think ), but it was 2500+ first time ever gone that far. and it was in about an hour. and i could have done more if I didnt have to show up at work eventually. stroke rate avg up to 14, pace down 2:30+ but still 600m further than ive swam in 47+ years.

chuffed. ( wasnt an ironman, however its another step towards one ) is anyone else as chuffed as Blisters, Mr W and myself this morning  ?

521 to 540 of 582 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.