oh bugger, another fat newbie.....

getting started with stupid questions and a goal

541 to 560 of 1,163 messages
21/09/2013 at 10:47

2.25 in 58.3 - 6min resting/waiting and + 5-30 to make it 2.5 in 58mins ?

need to revise the ss book and break my sessions up a little  ( 5 or 6 endurance is going to get dull )

thoughts anyone - i wil be dropping to 4 sessions and mixing in some running? but probably after christmas. ( aiming for long swim / long bike & diet to drop the pounds )

Edited: 21/09/2013 at 10:54
Blisters    pirate
21/09/2013 at 14:35

Running slow for times longer than 45 minutes is where the weight really starts to come off. Above 2 hours and the re-fuelling can over-compensate.

For me, I ditched the bike ride today in preference of a long run. I think it's 4 weeks until my autumn race. 22 miles at goal marathon pace plus 1 minute per mile. I've got to be pleased with that, especially as I've managed 4 run slots in the week (and a swim).

23/09/2013 at 11:59

long weekend - difficult, tired and stressed . i need a holiday.

a tetchy swim this morning. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/380084795

focused on the catch ( pull/push the water deliberatly ). interesting improvement on pace - but at a cost to rythm and breathing.  couple of single length sprints for larks.

avg 100m around 2'10 assuming I can have a free rest every 100......

long day tomorrow so maybe a run rather than a swim - out and back from the office.

How are you all doing ?

23/09/2013 at 16:10

Parkrun Saturday and 9 miles easy in the company of my OH yesterday

27/09/2013 at 13:11

Been a tad busy this week, early starts  and late finishes with the job.  So not a lot done

managed 3.8km swim this morning to make up for it. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/381904014

3.8km ( with 50m more for missed counts ) and completed in 1hr39. thats me able to make it through the easy part and out onto the bike inside cutoff. lots to do then.

but chuffed actuallly.

hows everyone else ?

27/09/2013 at 13:22

( 1hr 32 If I dont count rests )

04/10/2013 at 13:32

busy week again. so not lots done.

bt o swimming around 2min/100.  started running again. lots to do

fixed own treadmill, completed gym induction : ready to balance poll and other disciplines

moving the swim onto a quality - tempo quality - tempo -endurance -  cycle. adding in a couple of runs from the weekend.

whatsw everyone else planing ./ doing ?

Cake    pirate
04/10/2013 at 17:12

This weekend I have a nice run involving zombie's  link

Other than that not a lot got a few marathons and half's lined up for the future and getting ready for planning next years races.

Blisters    pirate
05/10/2013 at 01:11

1200m swum outdoors.

Needed a crap or it would have been a little bit more.

07/10/2013 at 13:23

Did my first Tri in 3 years (and 2nd in 6 ). Still too big (108Kg), picked a stonker of a course (InTri Aberystwyth race*) enjoyed myself thoroughly, came back energised, determined to crack on with more weight loss (9Kg this year) before Crimbo, and aiming for Vitruvian 2014. 

Needless to say, I now have a stinking cold and throat infection...

* - Always read the small print. Wife noticed just before the race "Race of two peaks", which I hadn't. I recalled the bike course (Which I'd driven before) as "Big hill to Uni, then flattish rest of way". Err, no. The Uni is about halfway up the hill,, and "flattish" is way off. Also, some plank put an extra run in, in the middle of the swim, thereby negating my whale like abilities. While the "2nd peak" was early in the run, and meant I walked pretty much the first 2k of the 5. But I finished, wasn't last and had a blast.

08/10/2013 at 14:45

almost a solid swim today. too many distractions going on.  aiming to get a little run in tonight

20/10/2013 at 21:46

Wicked sense of humour mate! To answer your questions to your very first post on this thread:

1) you probably don’t NEED anything but have a new pair of running shoes will go a long way to your comfort and remaining injury-free. There is no MUST HAVE equipment – make the most of what you already have and treat yourself to something new if you like but it’s not necessary. The main thing is finding something/some reason to keep your motivation up through the training and racing. It’s different to everyone so find your reason and make it very compelling. 

2) you definitely can find races around Birmingham, just google it.  

3) a big part of your entry into the sport of triathlon will be to manage your ‘inner game’ -- that’s not just about ‘mental toughness’ but more about getting your mind to support you and keep you focused on what matters to you. Might want to check out http://www.triathletemind.com/your-best-triathlon-year-ever/ for a simple to follow guide to getting ready.  

4) absolutely not! Give it a go and just enjoy it.

22/10/2013 at 11:02

having a lot of outside influence crap to deal with. its getting in the way and annoying me imensly.  'I need to exercise, and dont give a sh*t about you having crap in your life - its not my monkey now fcuk off.'

Ahhh, thats better. 

managed a bit of running. almost 20mins in 10 days. its just not fucking on.

got a greenlight for the long weekend , so entry awaits

got incouraged nods for a couple of half marathons next year.

got a grrenlight for the aquathon in november.

( somethings brewing - this is too easy )

22/10/2013 at 11:06

thanks mr Yanzen.

holly crap, that first post is over a year ago and ive made far too little progress. its really is just not fckuing on.

i should have done a review....

1) more trainers bought, lots of gear and a gym membership to aid swimming access.

2) aquathon finished ( witha busted ankle ) - not really built upoon it

3) Far too many guides; be better to bag them and carry them around - do more for my fitness than buying and reading and starting them all

4) errr, well. probably but its punishment enough really

Edited: 22/10/2013 at 11:13
Cake    pirate
22/10/2013 at 12:28

Lard which halfs are you fancing?

22/10/2013 at 13:03

Never fancy a half, (prefer a pint  )

I'm down for Helsby 4 Villages, Wrexham, Chester and Bala next year

27/10/2013 at 22:29

managed 5k today. sick family. shit work.

time to get back on the pony

16/11/2013 at 20:48

damn and doh!

another blasted injury - tendontitus in the hip. cant sit, cant drive, cant run, can complain. big girls blouse. a week of the impact stuff.

meanwhile ive platoed . no loss, no improvement on pace. so....a diary of intake is needed. day one of the diary has me 900kcal in the red!  so exercise is keeping me flatlined only! and im not exercising enough to stay that way. DOH!

Time to padlock the fridge/cupboard.

16/11/2013 at 22:39
Wondered where you'd been hiding....

..... Step away from the fridge
17/11/2013 at 13:24

http://www.uktriathlon.co.uk/birmingham/ have a look at this link sgt, could be a good local one, wouldn't mind it myself as I live in brum but will be away in Wales after doing the long course weekend marathon. Read this thread from beginning to end, top man sgt! keep at it.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.