oh bugger, another fat newbie.....

getting started with stupid questions and a goal

101 to 120 of 601 messages
04/09/2012 at 17:59

karma - I am very very slow at running.

04/09/2012 at 18:31

Karma I followed Fink and zone 2 feels slow, but it works. OK I only did 2/3 of Outlaw but it was the swim and the run/walk.

Iron Muffin    pirate
04/09/2012 at 18:40

I am surprised about the negative Fink feedback. Why is that?
The 'just finish' worked for me, novice to sub 14 hr Outlaw this year.

I have looked at 'Going Long', too complicated for a simple soul like me.

04/09/2012 at 18:54
I learned that running is not always fun
M...eldy    pirate
04/09/2012 at 18:56

I think because those that are closer to 16 or 17 hours would find it difficult to complete the sessions ....  is my understanding

Iron Muffin    pirate
04/09/2012 at 19:21

The only bit of Fink I struggled with was the duration of Z4 stuff near the end. I just couldn't hold my HR up that high for the required duration.

I can understand the swim sets may be hard to complete in the time indicated.

I really liked the HR and time approach, made it easy to plan and stopped you getting dis-heartened on a bad day.

M...eldy    pirate
04/09/2012 at 19:27

IIRC the bike only went up to 5 hours?

M...eldy    pirate
04/09/2012 at 19:28

That said, horses for courses

Reasearch and read a lot of plans and find one that suits you 
(most people are used to following a plan for running before getting in to Tri I would assume)

IronCat5    pirate
04/09/2012 at 20:30

I liked Fink. Did the competitive but only 2 swims per week instead of three, and was stuck with long swims instead of sets towards the end (shoulder ).Probably explains why Muffin's swim was at least a third faster than mine.

Longest scheduled bike for me was 6:30. I didn't do much Z4 on the bike, but did the majority of the Z4 run stuff. I think it showed on the day though - I played to my strengths; the bike was a loong ride, but the run training really paid off.

M...eldy    pirate
04/09/2012 at 20:34

Was that 6.30 time scheduled or distance ??

*just re-read and this is on the competitive schedule,  perhaps the 'get you round' is a lower time schedule?

Its been a while since I looked at it

IronCat5    pirate
04/09/2012 at 20:43

6:30 scheduled time. As you said earlier, I don't recall just finish going much beyond 5 hrs.

I just remembered did 'Intermediate' . Fink was like a travelling companion for the first half of this year, always in my laptop bag. Now he is shunned, under a pile of dust somewhere......

*barely used, only 140.6 miles on the clock

04/09/2012 at 20:54

Planning on following intermediate plan and like Mrs Digger looking for structure and although z2 feels painfully slow I feel I am getting gradually fitter and building up a base dont have a hope in hell in completing the swim sets mind

M...eldy    pirate
04/09/2012 at 20:55

I think Z2 will feel slow for along while but then it all starts to work  

04/09/2012 at 23:24

oh Yes.

A really solid turbo session ~ managed a good 40 mins in L2, spinning 90rpm+/-5

need to get that into a habit, with an hour at a time...

3 Mile run tomorrow, looking forward to it ( does that mean I need a 'special' doctor ?)

9 weeks to go to my first event and a decision on Outlaw2013

05/09/2012 at 08:51
Every triaflete needs a special doctor !
05/09/2012 at 09:12
IronCat5 in the Hat wrote (see)

6:30 scheduled time. As you said earlier, I don't recall just finish going much beyond 5 hrs.

Fink "Just Finish" tops-out at a 5-hr bike. "Intermediate" goes up to 5:30. Even the "Competitive" tops out at 6 hours, Cat, but that just shows how gnarly you are, mate. Fink's Just Finish plan really works. If you have the sort of learning style that's happy with doing what you're told and keeping things simple, it's ideal.

And there's nothing in the rules, Sarge, that says you have to like running. Or swimming. Or, erm, biking for 7 hours. Iron distance is horrible but you get a nice t-shirt

bburn plO.dder    pirate
05/09/2012 at 10:07

I liked the simple structure to Fink and sort of adapted it to suit myself, ending up with a mixture between "Just Finish" and Intermediate.

I did no Z4 on my bike cos I couldn't, it hurt too much. But I did several  6hr - 7hr rides.

I did manage most of the running Z4 stuff. And threw in an April marathon for good measure.

Didn't really do the swim sets (I was still having my 1 to 1 lessons for a lot of the plan), so I made up the swimming bit.

In other words, just do loads of biking, running and swimming in that order, and you'll be fine

IronCat5    pirate
05/09/2012 at 17:50
slowerthanilook wrote (see)
IronCat5 in the Hat wrote (see)

Fink "Just Finish" tops-out at a 5-hr bike. "Intermediate" goes up to 5:30. Even the "Competitive" tops out at 6 hours, Cat, but that just shows how gnarly you are, mate.

Only 5:30. Pah!

I think my in-saddle time on the Chiltern 100 was at least 8:30!

06/09/2012 at 09:05
Should my feet ( toes and ball theirof ) be cold after 40 mins of turbo ?

Maybe the shoes were tight or maybe i need new shoes ?

Maybe it was the locale - 10deg ?

Too tired to run alst night. New job, long hours or lazyitous.

Will be running tonight and maybe another turbo torture session

Hoping to get some pooltime with the local clubs on sun and/or monday
06/09/2012 at 09:44

Need to go out on bike - soooo tired! 

101 to 120 of 601 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.