oh bugger, another fat newbie.....

getting started with stupid questions and a goal

161 to 180 of 572 messages
IronCat5    pirate
13/09/2012 at 12:56

Marshman is good preactise for the big day. There is nothing to look at scenery wise, and you'll get plenty of practise cycling in to the wind on the flat. Good mental training

14/09/2012 at 11:43
So.....outlaw is filling very fast. Must be popular.

Got a little knee niggle....not worrying yet, might skip a run and do an extra bike and see if it gets better

Swimming on sunday

How hard is open water swimming? Marshman is a lake swim in may so wetsuit required and i wont get much Time to practice much - just enough time for a couple of swims and playing with body lube

Oh, and I should probably mention doing outlaw to the family :-O

How is everyone else doing?
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
14/09/2012 at 12:02

The most important thng about OW swimming is the sighting - it's surprisingly difficult to swim straight until you get used to it, and don't just rely on following someone else, they may be swimming off course. Best is to lift your head to sight every few metres until you're experienced. Before you enter the water, check to see if the bouys are easy to see, if they aren't very big you may have trouble spotting them once swimming. I look for something big you can sight on such as a building or large tree that's in a direct line with the bouys.

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
14/09/2012 at 12:03

And don't forget to enjoy it! I used to panic about OW, now I much prefer it to pool swimming.

15/09/2012 at 09:06

I was just revisiting the thread and spotted Cake's kind advice :

Cake wrote (see)

.......... You could go crazy and do both.

Three things came to mind :-

a) I was thinking the same thing

b) why would it be crazier than going from nothing to outlaw in the first place

c) why not add ironman 70.3 and do a hat trick ?

Im a little worried Ive pushed too hard as my knee is still a little sensitive....must do a turbo session today .

Been looking at FInk, and I dont think I can do the build phase timings - I thought I saw some guidance on how to tackle the timings and zones IF your not fit enough, but I cant find it now....

Ive got 9wks before the 30wk cycle starts for Outlaw...so 9 wks to be fit enough for the 30wks....

and A good morning to everyone!

M...eldy    pirate
15/09/2012 at 09:12

What about the Fink build phase do you think you will have trouble with?

15/09/2012 at 11:57
Hi

Intermediate program wk3 has a 60 min Z2 run, which i cant do without walking today. I am assuming its a go as fast as you can staying within Z2 for 60mins?

Regards
M...eldy    pirate
15/09/2012 at 12:10

You need to stay within Z2 to build the base as far as I recall

If you cant stay in Z2 without walking then that proves that you have a base to build, staying within the Z2 is the key and staying within the timescales, as you progress through the plan you will find that you walk less and go further

Have yo ustarted the plan early in order to repeat the base or is this seperate to the 30 week plan?

EIther way staying in the zones is the key and making sure that you have the correct zones in the first place, if you have worked them out from a formular then they are likely (IMO) to be wrong

15/09/2012 at 12:25
I am working a plan to use the next 10 wks to get ready for the base 10 in fink

So in really just trying to get rid of barriers to stickingto the plan.

My BHAG is outlaw in
M...eldy    pirate
15/09/2012 at 12:49

Then stick at it .. keep in the zones and HR will drop and times will increase

16/09/2012 at 14:32
So, I nudged the wife with a sideways question : " would you come and watch IF I did something like 'outlaw'

Wasnt immediatley shot down, or indeed shot at - just a 'dont want you to kill yourself.....'. So ball is in motion, and I might have supporters in nottingham come race day ( even if they do go looking for the mall while i drag my arse around the bike course )

Not sure a wetsuit&silly bike package will go down so easily. Mearly presenting the website introduced a raft of. 'not before peace in the west bank, a working coalition government and a future for the liberal party type type requirements are provided'

I wonder if i can put them in storage till i need them ?

Hows everyone doing?

Was watching ironman wales coverage - why are they only listing some of the splits and is 2.4 mile swimming supposed to take only an hour ?

On a bad note, missed training last nite, as i had drained the pulse monitor of batter life and no amount of watch/nike+sensor/car remote butchery was going to sort it. On a positive, my knee is better ( lemonade out of lemons?)

And Joined stafford tri club...

New battery installed, turbo beckons with swim session tonight...a run tommorrow
16/09/2012 at 15:12
Some people do the swim in an hour, but they aren't pirates they cheat and train properly
16/09/2012 at 18:58

Fair play Sarge you're all systems a go go... Keep looking after that knee! I'm no longer Outlaw bound as OH needs a new van so can't afford it. I am the sickly child - sinusitis. Hopefully back to training tomorrow... Night shift first though. 
Think aim for a HIM next year! 

16/09/2012 at 19:10
WIth 150 places left, ive got some jigory pokery too do to get my place sorted ahead of payday. Sorry to hear that mrsD

Dang paying job expenses our of my own pocket until payday ( ??600 quid i have a better use for this week)

Off swimming in 5 minutes
16/09/2012 at 21:56

Oh Dear.  Swimming is much harder work than I remember.

17/09/2012 at 10:49
Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)
Some people do the swim in an hour, but they aren't pirates they cheat and train properly

I'm not sure pirate Admiral Rosey would agree with you Dave - and his swim is c1hr...

17/09/2012 at 11:35

I was thinking of Rosey when I wrote that   

17/09/2012 at 21:27

oh crap. outlaw closed out early!  Waitlist or Ironman or Henley? 

You snooze, you loose. 

17/09/2012 at 21:44

Going back on the turbo to calm down.Even spoke to their office today to get it sorted and expected a call back.

Britrisky    pirate
17/09/2012 at 22:29

The Outlaw thread says there will be a reserve list, as people will inevitably drop out as it gets nearer, so get on the list and start training ... 

161 to 180 of 572 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.