Ok, here's a proper question...

If slightly hypothetical

1 to 20 of 28 messages
kittenkat    pirate
22/08/2013 at 17:25

If you could be a world champion in just one of the disciplines in tri, which would you choose?

Running for me without a doubt. However winning the Tour de France would be pretty cool.

(And no, transition, drinking etc etc doesn't count)

22/08/2013 at 17:34

Swimming.  As much I'd love to have the power to be a world champion cyclst, and to be good enough to run for ages with more ease than I do now, water is where I find moments I can feel the most relaxed, so to be able to excel in that environment would be amazing.

22/08/2013 at 17:58

TdF winner and triathlete?

You'd have to be on drugs to do that.

kittenkat    pirate
22/08/2013 at 18:02
skotty wrote (see)

TdF winner and triathlete?

You'd have to be on drugs to do that.

Everyone's clean, cleaner than clean. You could eat your lunch off their blood test results.

22/08/2013 at 18:10

It would have to be the TdF for me as at the moment even being able to cycle that far over any timescale would be a huge achievement.  In fact, doing a couple of hours without falling off is currently outside my ability

kittenkat    pirate
22/08/2013 at 18:21
SuperCaz wrote (see)

It would have to be the TdF for me as at the moment even being able to cycle that far over any timescale would be a huge achievement.  In fact, doing a couple of hours without falling off is currently outside my ability

Long distance cycling is fascinating, because Skotty has diverted my train of thought now I'm asking myself the question "Which sport would it be most tempting to take drugs to enhance performance in?" The first 3 that came to my mind were cycling, sprinting and shooting.

But anything that requires extreme endurance, speed or control could be in there. I was thinking of shooting in terms of the modern pentathlon, within the other disciplines (in pentathlon) you need gross motor skills and the adrenalin that makes you go as fast as you can... and just before the end you need to shoot through the eye of a needle and the steadiest hand.

Edited: 22/08/2013 at 18:23
purpletrilady    pirate
22/08/2013 at 18:29

swimming for me - not OW though, I hate that.

Freestyle 1500 I think...

Doner Kebab    pirate
22/08/2013 at 19:16
kittenkat wrote (see)

But anything that requires extreme endurance, speed or control could be in there.

really ??? 

not 100m sprint then

kittenkat    pirate
22/08/2013 at 19:22
Doner Kebab wrote (see)

Doner Kebab wrote (see)
kittenkat wrote (see)

But anything that requires extreme endurance, speed or control could be in there.

really ??? 

not 100m sprint then

That just requires drugs, huge thighs and an ego.

Edited: 22/08/2013 at 19:23
kittenkat    pirate
22/08/2013 at 19:30

I was offered that choice a few years ago, would I like to be the fastest woman in the world over 100m OR would I like an extra £15 pounds in Tesco vouchers? I chose the vouchers because Tesco actually make an effort with their rewards scheme and from memory I think I managed to turn that into a full course meal at Pizza Express for my family.

Where my personal arrogance and vanity came into play, was in the assumption that I could bag the vouchers and blag the 100m after that.

But you're just TOO full after pizza. Every bastard is plotting against you.

Edited: 22/08/2013 at 19:30
22/08/2013 at 20:03

Running for me.  I currently resemble a badger in my speediness - would love to be able to run like the wind for hours and still have a smile on my face - how cool would that be?

Red_dog_chris    pirate
22/08/2013 at 20:34

Tough one this as each discpline has its moments for me. I think it would be running though. I do love the freedom of running and how it makes me feel.

Rafiki    pirate
22/08/2013 at 20:39

You do realise the winner of the Tour de France is not the World Champion, the winner of the World Championship is!

IronCat5    pirate
22/08/2013 at 21:11
Rafiki wrote (see)

You do realise the winner of the Tour de France is not the World Champion, the winner of the World Championship is!

And then, only at what one won at (unsuprisingly); as Tony Martin found out to his cost (2000CHF) at the TDF.

You can't have World Champ stripes on your TT bike in a team TT if you're only the TT world champ. You need to be the Team TT world champ.

Probably running or TT riding. The TT world champs is a nice distance, and I could be world champ of 10km or so running. But outdoors in the woods or something. Not going rounadandroundndroundandround on a track.

I guess my meds are kicking in.

22/08/2013 at 22:27

Can i be world champion at transition...getting in and out of wetsuits, changing outfits. It would lead on to my secret life as a crimefighting super spy and ladies man...

TheEngineer    pirate
22/08/2013 at 23:06

Road Race World Champ. 100km break off the front and holding the bunch at 5 minutes. The sprint teams make their uneasy deal to bring me back but I'm just too far up the road and hold on by seconds. 

...or at least that's what goes through my hea when I'm doing that long tempo section at the end of a key workout!

Dustboy    pirate
22/08/2013 at 23:29

Would anyone care to challenge me as the reigning world championship at faffing?

In fact, I think it is now a recognised discipline that starts in your room at 3am when the alarm goes off and remains a continuous event till 6am when the banger goes.

Cona    pirate
23/08/2013 at 08:22

I have the exact same thoughts every time I go down the last 1 mile straight back to my house....

Always looking over the shoulder for the oncoming peloton!

TheEngineer    pirate
23/08/2013 at 08:57
Pop-Up Schmunks - The List Fairy wrote (see)
M..o.use wrote (see)

Suspect people will be in travelodges.

And there is a lot of suspect people amongst the Pirates  

And for that reason, I doubt if I will be in a Travelodge

Cona wrote (see)

I have the exact same thoughts every time I go down the last 1 mile straight back to my house....

Always looking over the shoulder for the oncoming peloton!

Mine's usually hammering through Oxshott and Esher on the way home.

JvR
23/08/2013 at 12:19

I'd go for cycling because in reality I so naff at it  

1 to 20 of 28 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.