On Yer Bike

9 messages
22/09/2003 at 11:47
Help! I've turned 40 and turned all triathlon on myself!!! What's happened. Just done my second one on the Isle of Wight (did the London in Aug) and thoroughly enjoyed it. Any help,advice, guidance on purchasing a decent bike? I'm going to the bike show in Islington this weekend to have a look, though I realise they're expensive. Anyone got anything in the back of their garage they don't use??
22/09/2003 at 11:56
i use a crap cheapy raleigh mountain bike that weighs a ton and has tractor tires to commute - harder work, better training, not that bothered if it gets nicked
22/09/2003 at 12:05
That's what I'm currently using too - (with combine harvester attached I think!!), but I'd love to upgrade as it's the bike that's stopping me getting good positions. The swim and the run is fine.
22/09/2003 at 12:29
any reasonable road bike with spds (or equivalent) and tribars attached then

personally i think you can get a perfectly good bike in the range £600 - £1,000, although i wouldn't spend less than that as you'll be itching to upgrade within 2 months

second hand can give good value

currently i'm on a trek 1500 that i really like, except i'm probably going to switch to bar end shifters (from simple bridged bolt-on tri bars)

it was slightly out of the price range above, but i bet i could have got the next model down and not noticed much of a difference

22/09/2003 at 12:47
I've been looking at Trek bikes and also Cannondales and Specialized. They're the only ones that I've come across. I'm actually currently using a friends Marin, but it's straight handlebars and a not too speedy - well not as speedy as I want it to be!
22/09/2003 at 13:06
any of those three will do fine, but race shoes and good bars will make a difference of (i bet) at least 20 minutes on a 100 mile ride

easier on hands and knees, too
cougie    pirate
22/09/2003 at 13:34
'easier on hands and knees' Andy ?

Well you can do that if you want, but I find cycling much much quicker ! ;-)

If you know what size you are after - have a look in Cycling Weekly (out Thurs) for 2nd hand racers.
22/09/2003 at 13:36
lol

my word an amusing scouser... tarby, doddy and the rest must be worried!
22/09/2003 at 13:44
Thou shalt not take the name of Tarby in vain!!

Ta for the info re the mag.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
9 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.