One week to go

Where all the heroes ?

21 to 36 of 36 messages
04/05/2004 at 10:23
Did you do the time trial yesterday evening? if so how did you get on?

And how did the 100 mile bike ride followed by 10k run go over the weekend?
Bouncing Barlist    pirate
04/05/2004 at 12:17
Didnt do the TT yesterday was a bit stiff from Sunday so did an easy 10 mile run instead.

Sunday was cut short to a 70mile bike due to time constraints but averaged 17.1mph over the distance and really pleased with that as its much faster than any of my long rides before.
04/05/2004 at 12:24
The best laid plans sometimes go haywire don't they !!

And I like the way a 10 mile run can be described as easy - bet you wouldn't have thought that a few months ago !!

17.1 average is good over that distance, wish I could do that

Hey stopped raining - need to get on to Big Cow and see whether they can start the race now !
04/05/2004 at 22:15
Nice to meet you Bandanna Man. Wow did we get wet or what.

Im still drying off now lol.

Really enjoyed the Duathlon tonight even with the downpours, think there was a mix up with the bike laps as although I finished the run last I passed someone in transition and another 4 or 5 people on the bike including lapping 2 of them. Really nailed it round some of those bends, riding by the seat of my pants and had back wheel sliding a few times. Dont know how some of those other guys cornered so fast.

At the end they said theyd adjust it and thought id done 2 laps to many, my speedo said 11.7miles and not sure what the overall distance was but someone else only had 14.? KM on there speedo.

Really enjoyed it though and not bothered about the time, just went for the experience.
06/05/2004 at 09:35
Hey Carl - sorry I didn't reply yesterday but I wasn't in work and that is where I'm logged into the thread.

Glad you enjoyed the event despite the appalling conditions. On the plus side though just think how much faster you'll be able to go on the bike when the course is dry. I reckon I did one lap too many on the bike course, which hasn't been taken into account, but what the hell - in conditions like that it is no suprise people got confused. The organisers at Big Cow assure me they will have the problem sorted by the next one in June.

If you do the next one, and I hope you do, hang around afterwards for the presentations. They do spot prizes as well (which only get given to people that are still there) and I got one of the said spot prizes, consisting of a Big Cow water bottle, a Big Cow pen and a cereal bar. I know that's nothing much but it all adds to the fun of the event.
06/05/2004 at 09:41
I will be doing the next one for sure, probably all of them. I want one of those Big Cow floppy hats that some of the children had on.

Have you seen the MK thread in training, there is a curry night at Jaipur 19/5/04.
07/05/2004 at 09:18
Hope your up for a bit of healthy competition !! The adjusted results on the Big Cow website now show me as right behind you !! Which means it's you I'll be trying to run down at the next duathlon !!

Actually don't care if I beat you or not as I've set myself a target of breaking the hour for the 2 mile/10 mile/2 mile format. This means I will effectively get 3 goes at it - as the July duathlon is longer distances.

As for the curry evening unfortunately I have other plans for that day so won't be able to make it.
07/05/2004 at 09:48
Sounds like a good target Bandanna Man, think I may join you on trying to beat the hour. I plan to do all four of them.

Still not 100% sure if I did 1 or 2 laps to many on the bike but they took 2 off.

Next time if the laps are right ill get a more reliable time.

Did you taper into the race i.e. have a rest day before?

Oh and re-the competition there nothing wrong with a bit of competitiveness and its good fun. I can see it turning into you beating me on the run, and then I trying to pull ahead enough on the bike to hold you off on the final run lap.
07/05/2004 at 09:56
Excellent - glad you're up for the challenge - And you're right - I figure to beat you I will need to cut down my run times and then just try to minimise my losses on the bike. Nice of them to put that little hill just after the bridge as you approach the finish - great for the tired legs !!

And I did taper for the race - in fact I had 2 days off beforehand. Don't know how the seriously fit guys do it - Mark Simmons did the Eversholt triathlon on sunday, the time trial on monday (new course record) and then finished in second place on tuesday !!
07/05/2004 at 10:20
Taper....

I cycled 70miles at ave 17mph on Sunday, did 1 hr endurance swim Monday lunchtime & a 10 mile run in the evening and a 40 minute Gym session Tuesday lunchtime.

Would be interesting to see what I could do on fresh legs lol?

I wont be tapering for the Duathlon until perhaps the last one as I need to cram in lots of training. Not worried about speed at the momement just trying to build endurance, in fact I was only just getting into a rythem towards the end of the bike.

Have you thought of doing the Monday TT's every week between the Duathlons, it will help your speed and I think the bike leg maybe where you can cut most of your time? Perhaps try a weekly long ride e.g. 30 miles.

07/05/2004 at 10:22
Have you got any other goals this year other than a sub 1hr Duathlon?

Are you going to do the NSPCC 1/2 Marathon?
07/05/2004 at 10:28
Long term targets that have been in place for a while are/were -

Break 2 hours for a half marathon - did that at the MK Half earlier this year, so unsure whether I will do the NSPCC

Break 50 minutes for a 10K race

Break 30 minutes for a 10 mile time trial - so I will be doing some of the monday evening time trials but unfortunately monday's are not good days for me so probably end up only doing a small amount of them

I need to put more time in on the bike (long weekend rides etc) but haven't, as yet, worked out when I can fit it all in. Still the enthusiasm is becoming to come back again so hopefully I will get into it even more.
07/05/2004 at 10:41
There are organised group rides leaving Stoney Stratford every Saturday morning (TeamMK/MKCC). I often go on them, there is a slow and fast group, I go with the slow and we do about 2.5 - 4hrs (40-50miles).

Im going out with them tomorrow so if your interested let me know.
07/05/2004 at 10:44
Working tomorrow morning (as I often have to) so no can do I'm afraid.
10/05/2004 at 17:05
Carl - I notice you have quite a few threads up and running in the runners world forums - how about seeing if you can generate some more interest in the MK Summer Duathlon Series ?

The more the merrier and you never know it might even put a few more people behind us !!
11/05/2004 at 12:12
Yes ill see what I can do... Have a look in the MK Training thread, might be able to generate a bit of interest there to.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 36 of 36 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.