Only got a Race Bike

Not one for training.

11 messages
Bouncing Barlist    pirate
25/11/2003 at 18:21
Need some advice, ive settled on my decision of purchasing a R800 Cannondale Tri bike for £1200-£1300 will be spending around another £300 on gear I guess.

I hadnt planned on buying a seperate training bike, is this really essential? will all the training miles damage / spoil my race bike.

NB. Im training for Longest day Ironman this will probably be a one off (though if I continue ultra events ill probably relegate the Cannondale to being a training bike).
AndrewSmith    pirate
25/11/2003 at 19:16
just look after it. give it a clean if it gets crappy on salty roads or muddy. can you fit mudguards? they really help in the winter. you can get clip on ones if there is no room between the wheel and seat stays.
cougie    pirate
26/11/2003 at 01:07
in winter I hose the bike down, sponge it and relube it after my long weekend ride - and that's my winter bike. If you do that - you'll be fine.

As Andrew says - if you can fit guards - I'd do so.
26/11/2003 at 11:45
I only have one bike too ... I fit different wheels for the winter - an older pair that I don't care about.

I keep my super-special sexy handbuilt wheels for summer and racing only!

And I use lots of lube ....
cougie    pirate
26/11/2003 at 11:45
Tee hee hee.
Bouncing Barlist    pirate
26/11/2003 at 16:57
Thanks and a special thanks to Lizzy for making me :)
26/11/2003 at 22:13
...on the chain lizzie!!!

SKS Race Blades are ok. Doesn't really matter if you have clearance.

Decent tyres also help.

Carl, if its any help, I have done the Longest Day a couple of times and will be glad to correspond with you. Its a great event - can't say anything bad about it at all except it hurts;-(
27/11/2003 at 00:57
Race blades don't really protect your bike much though do they ? - I agree though if that's all you can get on better than nowt
27/11/2003 at 10:11
your right - was a case of utilising an old racing bike that fits like a glove rather than buying a new frame off the shelf. At least raceblades keep one's arse dry and protect the guys at the back of you. Not sure how that reads, but I know what I am trying to say.

N.B. Longest Day race date now confirmed on Black Country Tri's website.
27/11/2003 at 18:20
carl, id get yourself a cheap training bike if i were you mate. save the precious racer!
27/11/2003 at 19:44
I don't see the point of having a lovely bike and only using it for races Daz!

In fact I sold my second bike as I know I won't enjoy riding it as much as my tri bike.

Being my first year on the bike, so to speak, I'm doing what Lizzie does just changing the wheels.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
11 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.