Open Water Swimming

A place to arrange swimming meets and partners

301 to 320 of 458 messages
27/06/2013 at 19:23

Ive missed it too, bit late from work and feeling a bit lazy  Defo be there Saturday

27/06/2013 at 19:59

Tired Badger is representing us tonight

Tired Badger    pirate
28/06/2013 at 13:08

I did 3 laps, felt really fresh so that was good, and they've trimmed some of the weeds they said, not that you could notice,

28/06/2013 at 13:13

Thats good news Tired Badger, bringing my sister tomorrow, she was a bit concerned about the weeds, just picturing a deep sea diver with a strimmer...............

Blisters    pirate
28/06/2013 at 15:19

Don't be silly.

Just picture an ordinary scuba diver with a machete.

28/06/2013 at 20:43

Blisters    pirate
28/06/2013 at 21:54

No weeds in the lido at Stroud today. 17 degrees and 4 of us in wetties

29/06/2013 at 07:54

I'm looking forward to next week to meet some of the people on this thread - feel like I know some of you already, apart from Supercaz who I do really know before she points that out

Hope you're feeling better btw

29/06/2013 at 21:41

I know Pixie, the weeds were horrible, I cycled to bozzy this morning and found it really hard to swim at first but managed 2 1/2 laps before being lured into the café with a bacon roll and capucino, my little Niece turned up for brekky so had a fun morning   

BluePeter    pirate
30/06/2013 at 10:02

Is anyone going to boundary park today? think this will be my last OW swim before outlaw

03/07/2013 at 18:50

Less than 4 weeks until my big swim and I'm really excited!!!

*bounce bounce bounce*

04/07/2013 at 09:24

what date are you hoping to go Caz? will we be able to track your progress by gps?

04/07/2013 at 17:31

My window opens in 25 days (29 July).  I will post links to the tracker nearer the time.  Hopefully my support crew will be posting updates to FB too, and I'm sure that someone will repeat them somewhere on RW

04/07/2013 at 21:13

Please please help. I'm desperate. 

I have 2 friends doing their first and only sprint distance triathlon in July. They are not strong swimmers. They will be doing breast stroke and I expect it wil take them 20 -25 minutes to complete the distance. It's open water and they don't own wetsuits. They are also poor students. They are young women (in their twenties), not overweight but not super fit and haven't followed a structured programme (they have done some training). 

I know that surfing wetsuits are not reccommended because of the tightness around the shoulders. But they are much cheaper! 

So has anyone: Done open water swimming in a surf suit whilst also being a crap swimmer. Did you survive?! 

I want to encourage them to hire but they think that's silly when buying (surf suits) is the same price. Neither of them will take up triathlon. This is a one off, and was not my idea! However I feel responsible for them because I've been giving them advice and they are my mates. 

Blisters    pirate
04/07/2013 at 23:31

25 minutes in the sea in July? They should survive, even without a wetsuit, and breast is best in those circumstances. I was even more crap once, and a British sea temp of 13.5 allowed me two strokes of front crawl followed by an enthusiatic and energetic breast stroke period to keep warm.

A long sleeve, tight fitting lycra top is an alternative. Some would call it a 2 piece tri suit.

05/07/2013 at 07:11

My first one the other week was 29 mins my first time in OW and mild panicking occurred breaststroked/front crawled my way around the course.  Could they get a surf wetsuit without arms? If they really want to get one?

05/07/2013 at 08:55

So...anyone fancy a dip in Holme Pierrepoint on Sunday morning?

Blisters    pirate
08/07/2013 at 16:03

I am going to go to Tenby North Beach this evening, then for a bike ride. It sounds very civilised.

08/07/2013 at 21:04
Ian Barnes wrote (see)
Hey all, well done to every one!!! Just wanted to say hi to all the other outlaws out there! First ever Ironman distance and loved it really pleased with a sub 12 hours, especially after being injured. Swim was great everyone chatting at the start then getting whacked in the face twice - about 1 hour 5 mins!! Bike loop one was really quick with clear roads and sun (and crappy wind!!). Not happy with all the drafting last 10 miles back saw two pairs and a group go by sucking on each others arses while I tried to eat another flapjack washed down by high 5 (yuck!). BTW there was a point on loop two near the (argghhh) Pirates feed station when it was getting bunched up with first and second lappers so there was a point which I tried to move 10 meters behind but was very difficult (no idea if penalised?!?!) and like an earlier report feel proud to have done it by myself. Ps all the support and stations was GREAT! Got back to a quiet T2 after 5 hours 40 ish. Start of the run - supporters were great, all those people at the feed stations being nice (lying) saying it wasn't far to go!! Wind was bitter but was glad I was off the bike before the downpoor - but it did make me laugh with me being 6'3'' and two people running really close behind back up the lake.... Running draughting!! Lol and I was going SLOW! Finished about 4 hours 50 mins and wanted to cry, all those racing snakes bouncing past during the run was demoralising. Thanks all - well done all - see you next year!

Holly_Golightly wrote (see)

Prince Siegfried wrote (see)

Great seeing so many Pirates out, smiles from most even though some were clearly in a lot of pain.  Several contenders for 'Grumpy Pirate and I thought Holly's vote was a tad harsh! 

Thank you, Siggy.

Saffers wrote (see)

Plan was to ride to cadence as this is how I train. Keep cadence at 90 and spin the legs as much as I could and when I could and not to push hard gears. Keep my breathing steady. I knew to slow down if my breathing started to become heavier. I wanted to ride hard but comfortable so that I would get through the dreaded run. I knew my run would be rubbish and the bike is my strongest discipline. It was hard not to go off really fast but I stuck with the plan and the ride went really well. All my concerns about getting lost on route, missing signs etc… were all unfounded. The route was clear as clear as can be. Had pirates passing me and past a few myself and loved the support everyone gave each other. The ride seems to have blurred and don’t know when I saw who but remember seeing Siggy and having a quick hello. The hill came up fairly quickly but managed that no trouble. Always had lots of other riders about along the route and at about mile 40 I heard a little click clicking and my  training buddy’s voice saying, ‘Recognise that noise?’ brilliant the bugger was gonna beat me on the bike!!! He shouldn’t have been there if following his own plan but said when he saw me h

09/07/2013 at 22:17

Medicgirl... i have swum in a surfwetsuit no probs.... not in a race but just on holiday breaststroking. I actually find it easier to breaststroke in a surf wetsuit as you dont have an ultra boyant bum and the shoulder flexibility isnt so much of an issue. Where are you based? 

Everyone else... hello... I have been so busy I havent had my usual forum fix for a while. Congrats to all of Sunday's outlaws!! 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.