Open Water Swimming

A place to arrange swimming meets and partners

61 to 80 of 517 messages
07/05/2013 at 17:20

I managed an hour in the river last night.  Water was 16 degrees so heating up fast now.  back again tonight as it is so lovely out there that it would be rude not to

07/05/2013 at 18:58

Hi Caz, where bouts do you swim in the Nene? just trying to work out if I could get there after work 1 evening.

alternatively does anyone use Box end at Kempston? I might ocassionally be able to make a midweek lunchtime session there.

07/05/2013 at 19:12

Useful thread this, Tri20 centre is a bit far for me for regular swimming but I just entered the big fish swim on 26 May, anyone else doing it?

07/05/2013 at 22:26

H0nk, there are a few places around Oundle and Fotheringhay.  I'd rather not post them publically as some of them are on private land which we have permission to use, but drop me a message or find me on Facebook and I will share.

We sometimes go in the Ouse at St.Neots too, or the Cam but thats a bit far away for me.

This evening we got in the water at 7:30pm and did up to an hour depending on individual ability, so there is plenty of time for you to get there after work assuming you do fairly standard hours.

07/05/2013 at 22:35

One of my favourite and most memorable swims was at 2 degrees, DF3.

08/05/2013 at 08:24

Jamie/Cat I doubt that I will be able to get there much before 6, so will plan to be there at 6 on Thursday.

Rafiki    pirate
08/05/2013 at 10:53
IronCat5 in the Hat wrote (see)

Count me in too. I thought it was Wednesday evening, but could be wrong.

You normally are

I'm working late Thurs so won't be there. will pop over at the weeekend for a final swim before race day though - if its not too cold!!

Edited: 08/05/2013 at 10:54
iron fraggle    pirate
08/05/2013 at 16:03

Anyone going to Tri20 on Saturday am ?  can't do thursday evenings (too much on being chief taxi to the kids)

Rafi - how's the water temp? I have new wetsuit, but do I need my new made-to-measure gimp hat too ?  

The Evil Pixie    pirate
08/05/2013 at 16:14

fraggle when/where are your saturday swims as I hope to be down in a couple of weeks and may see if I can join you!

iron fraggle    pirate
08/05/2013 at 16:25

Tri20 pix- it's at the reading lake hotel, which is just round the corner from your folks. It's sat/sun 7.30-10 i think....

http://www.mysportingtimes.com/tri20-swim-centre.htm

08/05/2013 at 16:51

Frag I was there yesterday evening and it was around 16, I think it had been up to 18 earlier in the day, so it was a little to warm  no need for gimp hats.

Until I find somewhere to stay I don't think I will be able to do weekends

iron fraggle    pirate
08/05/2013 at 17:00

sounds positively tropical BBT

WhizKid    pirate
08/05/2013 at 17:40

I probably won't be able too thurs evening I might and I say might be able be able too do this sat but I could be working don't know yet

IronCat5    pirate
08/05/2013 at 18:23

I'll be there Sat or Sun. May even try tomorrow night. Speshially as I'm not running for a few weeks.

The Evil Pixie    pirate
08/05/2013 at 18:59

16? OMG my pond was 12!

Sounds ideal fraggle!

08/05/2013 at 21:54

Wow if it's 16 I might join you next week! I have to admit Reading has been the only place I've swam without a wetsuit (it had been 30 degs that day and I actually got too hot with the sun on my back) I guess it's quite shallow compared to the East Berkshire lakes? 

Rafiki    pirate
09/05/2013 at 08:26

The lake will be full of Pirates at this rate!! Weathers looking better for Sunday at the moment, so make take a dip then.... as long as I have enough time for the wetsuit to dry before Ipack!!

And swimming without a wetsuit is a sure sign of insanity

Tired Badger    pirate
09/05/2013 at 16:53

Bosworth tonight, hoping to be able to manage more than 1.2k before I freeze

09/05/2013 at 17:05

OW swimming starts in Rutland Water this Saturday- http://inspire2tri.com/programmes/open-water-swimming-2/open-water-swimming-events-in-rutland-water/swim-information-club for details. Won't be down there this weekend, but am trying to get there next Saturday. Anyone interested?

Blisters    pirate
09/05/2013 at 17:05

Having started the thread with the aim of getting people to meet up, have fun, and go OW swimming, I decided that it was time to explore the outside world.

Following a recommendation (from here!) I went to the Bristol Open Water place at Trench Lane, near Aztec West. Easy access from the M4/M5 motorways. The water is 5 foot deep, but milky looking from the natural clay in suspension. The swim course is 650m unless you follow my wake trail.

Today, it was blowing a hoolie, the temp was probably 12 degrees. With a gimp hat I was lovely and warm, but a bit constricted. So, I tried out with just a Pirate swim cap. Ice cream head for 150m. Interestingly, by the end of the second lap I was actually getting warmth and life back into my finger tips. Bizarre. Oh, and the waves were somewhat interesting...

Fun though, AND NO CHLORINE.

61 to 80 of 517 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.